0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2014 10:52 pm
Bump
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2014 11:22 pm
@oralloy,
I did try Johnny Walker Blue at an a2k meeting in Chicago. I didn't find it miraculous but I was trying to be temperate (had to flag a taxi and all that, getting back to my slaze-o hotel. I did like the a2k people too, just saying I didn't hate at my Travel Lodge, rather liked it.
I gather the blue is pricy.
Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2014 11:40 pm
@ossobuco,
Morning Osso.....here's a headline from your paper.

Scotland rejects independence with No vote set for victory

Estimated 55% of voters set to reject Alex Salmond's prospectus for independence with more than half of results declared ......."

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/sep/19/scotland-independence-no-vote-victory-alex-salmond

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And here's something from the Telegraph, who are doing a "live" tracker.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scottish-independence/11106839/Scottish-independence-referendum-results-live.html
ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2014 11:54 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Ah.

I won't say ah, good, though I'm relieved.

Trouble afoot, at the least.

You can count on me not being an expert.
Ticomaya

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2014 11:58 pm
@oralloy,
I like Chevis. When I stayed with Asherman during one trip through Albuquerque, I sample a great selection of single malt scotch from his bar. (I've since become more enamored with bourbon, than scotch.)
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2014 12:00 am
@ossobuco,
Nah, they have to get over the hangovers first.

No doubt the English will get the blame for all this, somehow.

One to watch now is what happens at Westminster over the coming week or two, when proposals are put forward to send even more money/power in their direction.
I think that the Emglish MP's might finally snap and send a letter of complaint to someone like the Times, before retiring for lunch.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2014 12:09 am
@ossobuco,
That post sounded rather disjuntive, since it was. I cut out words and too much time passed. Just call me Robota.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2014 12:11 am
So it will be a new start for the UK, with the Prime Minister announcing "constitutional changes" today ... good for the divided Scotland [actually a victory], most certainly bad for the other parts.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2014 12:12 am
@Lordyaswas,
Keep us up on it, eh?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2014 12:17 am
Quote:
Around 85 per cent of Scots took part in the referendum, setting new records for turnout, with some areas reporting that virtually every member of the electorate had voted. But participation was lower in some of the Yes campaign’s key target cities, including Glasgow where turnout was only 75 per cent.

Mr Cameron is expected to respond to Scotland’s decision in a live televised address to the nation from 10 Downing Street following the declaration of the final results. The Queen is also expected to issue a written statement this afternoon regardless of the outcome of the referendum. Aides to Her Majesty were understood to be planning to gather at Balmoral, where she is currently staying, before briefing her this morning.

The statement would be an unprecedented move for the monarch, who usually remains strictly neutral on constitutional matters.
Source

I think, sooner or later the UK will be some kind of fedaration, at least, there will be an English Parliament (and perhaps government as well).
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2014 12:21 am
@Lordyaswas,
Lunch?

0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2014 01:11 am
From David Cameron’s statement to the nation on devolution:
Quote:
We now have a chance – a great opportunity – to change the way the British people are governed, and change it for the better. Political leaders on all sides of the debate now bear a heavy responsibility to come together and work constructively to advance the interests of people in Scotland, as well as those in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, for each and every citizen of our United Kingdom.

The three pro-union parties have made commitments, clear commitments, on further powers for the Scottish Parliament. We will ensure that they are honoured in full.

And I can announce today that Lord Smith of Kelvin – who so successfully led Glasgow’s Commonwealth Games – has agreed to oversee the process to take forward the devolution commitments with powers over tax, spending and welfare all agreed by November and draft legislation published by January.

Just as the people of Scotland will have more power over their affairs, so it follows that the people of England, Wales and Northern Ireland must have a bigger say over theirs.
[...]
In Wales, there are proposals to give the Welsh Government and Assembly more powers. And I want Wales to be at the heart of the debate on how to make our United Kingdom work for all our nations. In Northern Ireland, we must work to ensure that the devolved institutions function effectively.

I have long believed that a crucial part missing from this national discussion is England. We have heard the voice of Scotland – and now the millions of voices of England must also be heard. The question of English votes for English laws – the so-called West Lothian question –requires a decisive answer.

So, just as Scotland will vote separately in the Scottish Parliament on their issues of tax, spending and welfare so too England, as well as Wales and Northern Ireland, should be able to vote on these issues and all this must take place in tandem with, and at the same pace as, the settlement for Scotland.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2014 02:36 am
@Walter Hinteler,
A selection of newspaper front pages in pictures via The Guradian.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2014 04:04 am
by my calculations from a afar, this seems early to me.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2014 04:42 am
I'm partial to Oban when someone else is paying for it.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2014 04:46 am
@Walter Hinteler,
It will be interesting to see how much/little changes over the next year, or so. I somehow doubt that Scotland will get to give up its tridents.

I read an article on Wednesday quoting the Spanish minister to the EU that Scotland joining the EU was not possible in the 18month timeframe. He indicated that there would have to be unanimous consent and the likelihood of that was zero. I think a reality dose from the rest of Europe may have had an impact on the fence-sitters.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2014 04:53 am
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

I somehow doubt that Scotland will get to give up its tridents.

UK trident missiles stationed in Scotland. Of course they'll stay there, that's bloody obvious.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2014 05:11 am
@JPB,
Of course EU-countries with regions, which want to become independent as well (mainly Spain and Belgium, but Italy as well) would have tried all what is possible to slow down the process of joining the EU (again).

But any time frame, which was said by either side, was just out of the blue ...