THE BRITISH THREAD II

contrex

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2014 11:19 am
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:

Yep. Quite agree.

Every year someting happens to make me cynicler and cynicler.

If it's not a word, it should be.

Well, there is a phrase "more cynical"; every year some things happen to make you more and more cynical maybe? (Personally, I call this process "getting older").
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2014 11:28 am
@Lordyaswas,
Actually it is the same as it was with Quebec and Canada, and with Slovakia and Czech and Czechoslovakia, and very sinilar with Saarland and Germany (or France, when you look at it differently).

None of those who voted there had moved "abroad".
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2014 11:35 am
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:
Even the Scots soldiers who happen to be based elsewhere in Britain are going to be denied a vote, so I understand.

It's exactly like with any other citizen of Scotland: in order to register as an ordinary voter the service person would need to be resident at an address in Scotland.

Or to formulate it more neutrally: it's the same as in any other referendum in any other democratic country.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2014 11:39 am
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:
From Wikipedia for "Brownshirts" ...
Be assured that I (unfortunately due to our history) do know quite a bit about it (and wrote wrote a couple of essays about them - from exams at university to 'pieces' elsewhere).
Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2014 11:48 am
@contrex,
Joke, it was.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2014 11:50 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Lordyaswas wrote:
From Wikipedia for "Brownshirts" ...
Be assured that I (unfortunately due to our history) do know quite a bit about it (and wrote wrote a couple of essays about them - from exams at university to 'pieces' elsewhere).

Just because you are an expert doesn't stop you from taking it to the ridiculous nth degree just to score points though, does it.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2014 12:01 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Actually it is the same as it was with Quebec and Canada, and with Slovakia and Czech and Czechoslovakia, and very sinilar with Saarland and Germany (or France, when you look at it differently).

What was the same? No vote if they lived in Canada as opposed to Quebec?
Really?

Slovakia and Czech BOTH desperately wanted separation. It would be interesting to see how many of them voted against. Totally different situation.

Saarland and Germany is a combination of words that makes my teeth itch. If people were unfairly denied a vote for some reason, I'm sure you would have readily admitted as such. Wink

What is so hard to understand here?

Where do they live?.....Britain.
Where do they pay their taxes?.....to Britain.
Where do those taxes get spent? .....Britain.
What passport do they hold?......British.
Where were they born? .......Scotland (part of Britain)
Who is voting on breaking from Britain?.....Scotland (part of Britain)

Tell me again, why is it that a Scottish born Brit cannot vote on this?

No doubt you will come back with a cold legal wording. I'm talking fairness here.

How is all this fair?

If I was a Scot living in Britain and denied a vote, I would be livid.

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2014 12:08 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:
Tell me again, why is it that a Scottish born Brit cannot vote on this?
Any Scottish born Brit can do it ... as long as his residence is in Scotland. As can any other not Scottish born Brit with residence in Scotland.
Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2014 12:13 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I know all that!

Sheesh.

OK, once again.

Can ANYONE see unfairness here?

I'll leave this for now, as it just winds me up.

What has my country come to? How did all this come to pass?

Good luck, everyone.
farmerman

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2014 12:23 pm
@Lordyaswas,
What's gonna happen to New Scotland Yard?

will they change the name to something pithy? Or will it become the Ministry of Whats Going On Here?
georgeob1

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2014 12:42 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:

1.Can ANYONE see unfairness here?

2.I'll leave this for now, as it just winds me up.

3.What has my country come to? How did all this come to pass?
Good luck, everyone.

1. Yes, I think most of us do see it.
2. Understandable
3. Whatever the outcome of the vote, I suspect that political writers and historians will have a field day examining just how, what appears to me to have been a subject of interest to only a small minority of voters who likely never expected to achieve their ends, finally came to such a significant and potentially harmful outcome for all concerned.

It occurs to me that the experiences of a united Europe that are so real and palpable in many aspects of daily life and commerce there, may create illusions of security and political unity that don't correspond to reality. A result could be widespread movements for local autonomy throughout the continent that could prove both destructive and dangerous in the long run. History isn't over, and we are reminded daily of the existence of your potential rivals and even enemies to the East and South.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2014 01:05 pm
@McTag,
McTag wrote:
Salmond has spoken out in pubic against bully-boy tactics among his more enthusiastic and less restrained supporters.

Going through the motions. He was less outspoken when someone was beaten up in a Scots pub for wearing an England shirt during Euro 2012.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2014 01:09 pm
@Lordyaswas,

Quote:
If I was a Scot living in Britain and denied a vote, I would be livid.

We are.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2014 01:15 pm
@farmerman,

Quote:
What's gonna happen to New Scotland Yard?

Scotland Yard was an alley off Whitehall where the original police station was.

When they needed a new one, it was built elsewhere and they named it (our police are famous for their imagination and mental acuity) New Scotland Yard.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2014 01:23 pm
@izzythepush,
I've been rereading a little, and read this post of yours again and see what you're saying. Now I can understand being English and wishing the Yes vote would win up north. I could understand it by rancour already, but the economic impact to the average person in England sounds tough to me, from here.
McTag

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2014 01:28 pm
@georgeob1,

Quote:
Whatever the outcome of the vote, I suspect that political writers and historians will have a field day examining just how, what appears to me to have been a subject of interest to only a small minority of voters who likely never expected to achieve their ends, finally came to such a significant and potentially harmful outcome for all concerned.

One of your Princeton professors had a go at that today, in the Guardian.
But I can't get the link up yet. "The catalogue of errors that brought the union to the brink".- Linda Colley
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2014 01:30 pm
@ossobuco,
Other Europaen region want to become independent just because of this economic impact ... they think that they finance the rest of the country (Flanders, Catalonia, South Tirol).
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2014 01:32 pm
@McTag,
Scottish independence: catalogue of errors that has brought UK to the brink
JPB

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2014 01:35 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:

Walter Hinteler wrote:

Actually it is the same as it was with Quebec and Canada...

What was the same? No vote if they lived in Canada as opposed to Quebec?
Really?

Recent departees (up to two years before the vote, I believe) were allowed to vote if they indicated their intention to return to Quebec to live at some point.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Committee_to_Register_Voters_Outside_Quebec
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2014 01:45 pm
The campaign for independence has been an entirely legal and democratic process. But it's not that now governing and opposition parties discuss but "movements" battle: either for us or against us.

Were they not forced with those that should be ours,
We might have met them dareful, beard to beard,
And beat them backward home.
Macbeth Act 5, Scene 5
0 Replies