THE BRITISH THREAD II

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2014 05:41 am
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:
I'm pretty sure he meant EU.
I always puzzles me that in the UK nearly everyone equals Europe with the EU ..... neglecting 21 more countries.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2014 05:42 am
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:
You're good with finding stats, Walt. What would we be after splitting?
Third largest? Fourth?
Who would split? Bavaria?
contrex

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2014 05:58 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
With the exception of Nigel Farage ... there's no real intellectual base.

No comment necessary.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2014 06:04 am
Bump
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2014 07:10 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Lordyaswas wrote:
I always puzzles me that in the UK nearly everyone equals Europe with the EU ..... neglecting 21 more countries.

And it always puzzles me why know it all Europeans constantly try to patronise the English when it comes to Europe.
I'm not neglecting 21 more countries at all, merely taking my EU conclusion from paragraph 2 of your linked article, which ends with "what could be a much uglier divorce: an exit of Britain from the European Union."

I would imagine that any EU renegotiation attempt would come up against exactly the same attitude.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2014 07:18 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Lordyaswas wrote:
You're good with finding stats, Walt. What would we be after splitting?
Third largest? Fourth?
Who would split? Bavaria?

How did you interpret "we" that I posted, as Bavaria?

I was asking if you had the figures to hand to indicate how big the new Britain would be, population wise, compared to the other EU countries.

I'm guessing third largest still, but can't really be arsed to look it up right now, as I'm heavily invooved in constructing a large amount of various Indian dishes for tonight.

It's got to be third largest.
timur

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2014 07:32 am
Lordyaswas wrote:
It's got to be third largest.

No, it's fourth.

Italy would become third.
Lordyaswas

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2014 07:47 am
And so many questions will arise if it all happens.

1. Can we keep European Time now, South of the border. We always had to change before, because of Scottish farmers.
It would be nice to have the extra hour of daylight to be in the evening during the summer months, and now there would be no excuse not to.

2. What restrictions (theoretically) could there be placed on both fishing fleets?
Will the Scots be allowed into EU waters?
Will be EU fishermen be allowed into Scots waters?
Apparently, this is a subject that Salmond keeps getting asked by his Scots fishermen, but constantly refuses to give an answer.
I am therefore thinking that the new arrangement would be detremental to the Scots.

3. When all is said and done and we are two fully separate countries, would Scots require a visa of some kind to live and work in Britain? Being from outside the EU, an' all.

4. If the Scots finance houses register in Britain to regain Bank of England security, where will that Company pay tax? If it IS just brass plaque movement, as Salmond says, why should we guarantee their moneys via the BoE, when there is no reciprocal advantage to us?

5. If they join the EU as a new member, what is the likelihood on a scale of one to ten that they have to adopt the Euro?

6. Same question re. Schengen?

7. How quickly could the English build a USA/Mexico style border fence if Oil settled at $70, as widely predicted?
Salmond and co. have calculated all their finances on oil being $130, which is the price achieved only once in the history of oil being used around the world, and apparently, that was for a period of only three weeks!

Lordyaswas

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2014 07:54 am
@timur,
Well, Italy's a busted flush because of the Merkel....sorry, the Euro, so I'm sure that the new Britain would be given as much consideration as Italy in any future barterings.

Yes, it was sarcasm.
timur

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2014 08:09 am
@Lordyaswas,
I, for one, think you are too much in extraordinarily hypothetical detail.

I believe Scotland will not secede from the UK, at least not this time.

But even it was the case, the separation would not automatically take place the following day.

Long months of political talks would ensue to define the answers to the technical questions you arose, along with many others.

Defining nationality would be one of the least easy.

You also ask questions of Scotland's future, within or out of the EU.

Were I British, I wouldn't care the least.

If they want independence, it's up to them to build their own future and up to you to do without them.
Lordyaswas

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2014 08:15 am
@timur,
It was also purely hypothetical that Scotland would break away up until the second debate where Salmond had got his Braveheart hat on properly.

And it was posted with tongue firmly planted in cheek, but you know that already, don't you.....

0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2014 08:30 am
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:

2. What restrictions (theoretically) could there be placed on both fishing fleets?
Will the Scots be allowed into EU waters?
Will be EU fishermen be allowed into Scots waters?
Apparently, this is a subject that Salmond keeps getting asked by his Scots fishermen, but constantly refuses to give an answer.
I am therefore thinking that the new arrangement would be detremental to the Scots.
Do you think that old treaties (any old treaties) where Scotland is involved will be nullified?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2014 08:31 am
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:
3. When all is said and done and we are two fully separate countries, would Scots require a visa of some kind to live and work in Britain? Being from outside the EU, an' all.
Do Swiss need one?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2014 08:43 am
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:
How did you interpret "we" that I posted, as Bavaria?
My bad (For unknown reasons, I can't really see a "w" on A2K".)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2014 08:54 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Lordyaswas wrote:
Do Swiss need one?
As far as I remember from entering the UK at airports during the last years, Swiss show their ID-card as I do, on the very same counter.

Irish, however, are looked at as if they were UK-citizens, since 1923 onwards. (Irish Free State to be part of the United Kingdom for the purposes of immigration law."refreshed" in 1952, 2011 ....)
izzythepush

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2014 09:25 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Irish citizens resident in the UK can even vote in UK elections.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2014 09:33 am
@izzythepush,
And from Commonwealth countries, I think?
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2014 09:51 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Lordyaswas wrote:

Nearly everyone who is an "intellectual" like Nigel Farage, you mean?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2014 10:13 am
@contrex,
Not really him: as a MEP he knows all about Europe and the EU! Mr. Green
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2014 10:21 am
@contrex,
contrex wrote:
Nearly everyone who is an "intellectual" like Nigel Farage, you mean?

By UKIP standards he is.