THE BRITISH THREAD II

izzythepush

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2014 02:09 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
It's jailbirds like you sponging off us Southerners that we could do without.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2014 02:31 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
I have often noticed that the English upper-class accent is much the easiest to understand.

That's not a subtle thing to notice.

I once heard a man from the Isle of Wight. Not sure if he was "upper class," but he spoke like it. That was an amazing accent.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2014 02:37 pm
bump
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2014 02:57 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
People who come down South to work have got a lot more right to live here than criminal scumbags fresh out of Leicester Nick.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2014 03:07 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I miss Smorgs.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2014 03:10 pm
@ossobuco,
Ditto. Perhaps McTag might know more.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2014 03:21 pm
@Ticomaya,
You want me to do subtlety on A2K Tico?

You are kidding I hope.

I had noticed in commentaries on horse races that the upper-class accent was the easiest to follow. Perhaps it is only my conditioning.

I can hardly tell a word that Greta Van Susteren says on Fox News.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2014 03:22 pm
@spendius,
Sonny Fabuloso doesn't get that the former empire rode hard and fast over others of many lands. As has my country. As an observer, I've been interested in immigration in the isles; I think, that like with the u.s., that immigration is enriching, for the most part.

Do I get to post? My descent is irish (whatever) and 1/16 welsh, but I am a long time california woman.
spendius

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2014 03:30 pm
@ossobuco,
I have done a little hard and fast riding in other lands myself osso. Whether it is justifiable I don't know.

It is easiest though to say it wasn't.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2014 03:37 pm
Continuing as if I'm ok here, I'll say that I have impediments to understanding the voices of all the isles, being now hard of hearing at best. I think I need subtitles sometimes.

I once had a stupid fling, really stupid, with an idiot with a lovely scots dialect sound to his voice.

Watch out, or they'll take over.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2014 03:43 pm
@ossobuco,
‘London beganas a city of foreigners, and long continued as a government town, whose resident authority overawed native British custom’ (Morris, 1982, 280-281).

Around 1500, London had a population between 50,000 and 100,000 with more than 3,500 foreigners. In the 17th century, about 20,000 European Jews immigrated from continental Europe to England/London, about 20,000 Black inhabitants lived in Georgian London, ... ... ...

London and England have "long experience of playing host to cultural elites (or cultural servants of the elite), to refugees and would be revolutionaries, to upwardly mobile people seeking an introduction to the world of affairs, and to larger numbers looking simply for work".

(All quotes from London School of Economics and Political Sciences/City of London: The Impact of Recent Immigration on the London Economy, London, 2007)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2014 03:48 pm
On understanding videos and the lyrics or speeches from a2k links as from Izzy, or from the Guardian, I'm down something like 10:2. But I'm working it.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2014 04:00 pm
I'm always quick to point out that I was born and bred in the english midlands city of Leicester because I want people to know I'm not from the soft south coast where half the men are gay along the line Southampton to Brighton..Smile
Ticomaya

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2014 04:16 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
I can hardly tell a word that Greta Van Susteren says on Fox News.

How'd you fare with Tom Brokaw?
izzythepush

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2014 04:57 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Is that why you moved south? Not just to avoid being recognised back home?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2014 05:13 pm
@Ticomaya,
Quote:

Don't recall seeing him I'm afraid. Is he another who talks fast in order to avoid anybody understanding him and to be just over-awed at him being famous?
Ticomaya

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2014 12:37 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
Quote:

Don't recall seeing him I'm afraid. Is he another who talks fast in order to avoid anybody understanding him and to be just over-awed at him being famous?

National TV network news anchor for many years. Here's one comedian's impression of him:

0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2014 08:57 am
In northern England the men are named George, Bert, Jack, Bill and so on, but the further south you go you find the 'men' are called poofy names like Adrian, Justin, Francis, Simon etc..Wink
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2014 10:28 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
... but the further south you go you find the 'men' are called poofy names like Adrian, Justin, Francis, Simon etc..Wink
Indeed, all those antique Celtic and Latin names spoil the real Englishness.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2014 11:59 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Just wondering: why does Gerard (sic!) Batten, MEP (Ukip), employ the Polish (sic!) citizen Kamila Zarychta as his accredited assistant? And why does he have a Russian (sic!) assistant (Pavel Stroilov) in London?

Ukip's east Midlands MEP Roger (!) Helmer employs at least an Italian accredited assistant, and William Dartmouth, Ukip MEP for the south west of England, has a proper English first name and employs a Danish assistant ("Vilhelm Erobreren"