THE BRITISH THREAD II

izzythepush

Reply Sun 14 Apr, 2013 05:47 am
@izzythepush,
Has anyone noticed how those on the right urging respect for the dead were under no such constraints when it came to the death of Hugo Chavez? The Daily Mail published allegations by a right wing organisation based in northern Virginiathat he'd embezzled $1Billion in oil revenue as fact. They also revelled in the celebrations by right wing Venezuelans in the USA with no word of condemnation.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 14 Apr, 2013 05:51 am
Quote:
Supporters of Baroness Thatcher are planning to create a museum, library and educational centre as a permanent memorial to the former prime minister.

Backers aim to raise £15m in private funds to set up the site in London.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22141238

So that's one library safe from cuts, looks like it's the only one.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 14 Apr, 2013 08:11 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
That's a cheap shot, you're the one who didn't make himself clear. You've taken up an adversarial position, so it's only natural to assume that when I said there were loads of anti-Thatch songs, but only one pro-Thatch you would try to prove me wrong, not give your own favourite anti-Thatch anthem.

Really? I didn't make myself clear?

You're all wet. I quoted that portion of your post that talked about "plenty" of "anti Thatch" song, and added to the list. I clearly added an "anti Thatch" song, as Roger Waters laments the post-War England, and the economic spiral down ("What have we done, Maggie what have we done? What have we done to England?") I can't fathom the argument that would try to claim that is a PRO-Thatcher song.

Yet while it was you who blindly jumped to the conclusion that I was trying to "prove you wrong," you still try to blame me for your wrongful assumption. Pitiful.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sun 14 Apr, 2013 02:01 pm
Being that this is a BRITISH THREAD I thought that some one here could tell me if this video is sharing reality about what is taking place in Britain or if this man may be delusional.

McTag

Reply Sun 14 Apr, 2013 02:52 pm
@reasoning logic,

It's certainly taking place in parts of Britain, Holland, France.

The man talks a lot of sense. We tend to be tolerant of other-ness here, but this one has come up to bite us on the bum. People who we were prepared to tolerate do not wish to tolerate us. Problem.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 14 Apr, 2013 10:10 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

Being that this is a BRITISH THREAD I thought that some one here could tell me if this video is sharing reality about what is taking place in Britain or if this man may be delusional.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxlO7DLC6p8[/youtube]

This guy's problem is that he refers to Islam as a monolithic entity and all Muslims as single minded in a particular interpretation of that religion against which he casts his list of offences when really he's criticizing the fundamentalists and extremists among them.
McTag

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2013 01:14 am
@InfraBlue,

Quote:
when really he's criticizing the fundamentalists and extremists among them.

But you don't hear of much criticism of the extremists and fundamentalists coming from within Islam. That's his point.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2013 01:59 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

But you don't hear of much criticism of the extremists and fundamentalists coming from within Islam. That's his point.
Which is wrong - at least for the situation in most European countries.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2013 09:55 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Wikipedia lists some previous occasions when Big Ben was silenced.
Mostly it went quiet because of repairs, breakdown or bad weather, and the Wikipedia entry suggests it has not been silenced for any other reason since WWI.

And the Tea Party's favourite Michelle Bachman will be a guest at the funeral, too.
vonny

Reply Fri 19 Apr, 2013 01:37 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Big Ben being silenced seems to have silenced this thread! It's gone very quiet!!!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 19 Apr, 2013 02:02 pm
@McTag,
McTag wrote:
But you don't hear of much criticism of the extremists and fundamentalists coming from within Islam.

you sure do in Canada

the moderate Muslim community here speaks up pretty loudly against the actions of extremists who claim the same religion
vonny

Reply Fri 19 Apr, 2013 02:53 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
the moderate Muslim community here speaks up pretty loudly against the actions of extremists who claim the same religion

Quote:
you sure do in Canada

Same here in the UK - there are decent people of all races and religions worldwide. Pity a few radical extremists have to spoil it for the rest of us.
spendius

Reply Fri 19 Apr, 2013 03:23 pm
@vonny,
They won't vonny. Take no notice of them. But not in the way the authorities in Boston are doing. Two extremists have shut down an American city and imposed a curfew.

That's like paying ransoms for hostages it seems to me.

I've seen people interviewed asserting that they will not be distracted by extremists and the population of Boston is in lockdown.

What the overtime bills will look like is a bit scary to think of.
spendius

Reply Fri 19 Apr, 2013 05:07 pm
@spendius,
Have you seen then tonight fighting for the microphone to prove how concerned they are for our welfare?

With 10,000 gun deaths in the US every year, and the 90,000 gun injuries, which cost more than deaths, and the Senate voting to block any restrictions on guns, you can get an idea of how much lawmakers are concerned about our welfare.
oralloy

Reply Fri 19 Apr, 2013 09:17 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
and the Senate voting to block any restrictions on guns,

You guys need to set up something like the NRA over there in the UK.

We've absolutely shattered Obama's presidency. He's poured 100% of his political capital into trying to defeat us, and now he has nothing left for his second term. He's going to get immigration reform only because Republicans want it too.

By the time 2016 rolls around, we'll have had four years of an ineffective do-nothing presidency, and the voters will be all set to put a pro-gun Republican in the White House. Mr. Green
McTag

Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2013 12:36 am
@oralloy,

Quote:
we'll have had four years of an ineffective do-nothing presidency,

Unless an American administration has control of both houses, it can achieve next to nothing. If you want to complain about a do-nothing presidency, you've got republicans in the Senate to thank for that.
McTag

Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2013 12:42 am
@oralloy,
It's instructive, watching American law enforcement in action.

Two half-assed terrorists paralysed a large city for five days. MIT police, State police, City police, FBI, mobile and in helicopters, all armed to the teeth, cornered the suspects after four days, but one escaped.

Two British bobbies on bicycles could have got a better result, faster.
roger

Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2013 01:05 am
@McTag,
Amazing, the power wielded by the Senate minority.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2013 02:40 am
@McTag,
Can you imagine any city being locked down over here? It never happened, not even at the height of the Birmingham pub bombers.

When you have a free for all with guns that's the result. None of the terrorists arrested over here had guns, because they couldn't get hold of them.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2013 04:05 am
@oralloy,
oralboy wrote:
You guys need to set up something like the NRA over there in the UK.

That's the last thing we want. We value the lives of our children over here.

No more Dunblanes!

Can you imagine how many more British girls that piece of crap Knox could have murdered had she had access to firearms?
0 Replies