THE BRITISH THREAD II

spendius

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2013 05:03 pm
@farmerman,
Who else is there to **** fm? You can't **** the skint because their weeping on TV is unbearable and you can't **** the fat cats because they have the law to protect them.

If you had a smaller middle class it might make a difference. Yours is so big that everytime it wins an election it fucks itself.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2013 05:07 pm
@vonny,
They can brush off peaceful protests like a lady brushes dandruff off her husband's shoulder pads vonny. The overtime for the cops comes in handy though.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2013 07:18 pm
@vonny,
vonny wrote:
My final words on the Thatcher years are that I just wish they hadn't happened!

That's how I feel about the Carter years.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2013 07:20 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
... (and some of ours starting with Reagan through the present) . ...

Once you start smacking on Reagan, you lose all credibility, FM.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 13 Apr, 2013 02:52 am
@Ticomaya,
Credibility? Are you mad? Reagan was a dangerous lunatic. We're so lucky that Gorbachev was the Soviet president during Reagan's term in office, if there had been any other figure we would have all gone up in smoke.

It's a miracle that we survived.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 13 Apr, 2013 03:02 am
There has been talk by her supporters to propel a pro Thatch song in the charts to counter the meteoric success of Ding Dong.

Such songs are thin on the ground, there's plenty of anti Thatch songs, like Tramp The Dirt Down by Elvis Costello, Shipbuilding by Robert Wyatt, Margaret On The Guillotine by Morrisey and most of Billy Bragg's repetoire. That just scratches the surface of a considerable canon.

The only pro Thatch song is We Can't Let Maggie Go by convicted paedophile Jonathan King. That figures. She was also great pals with Jimmy Savile. Birds of a feather and all that.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 13 Apr, 2013 04:18 am
Isn't the FA Cup wonderful? It's the only sporting competition that can create stories like this.

Quote:
Nadjim Abdou might play for the 15th worst footballing nation in the world, but on Saturday he will be at the centre of attention as he tries to help Millwall book a place in the FA Cup final for the second time in nine years.

Nadjim Abdou's career to date

•Born in Martigues in France and grew up watching former Millwall striker Tony Cascarino playing for Marseille
•Signed his first professional contract with French side Sedan in 2003. After three seasons in Ligue 2, he played one season in the French top flight
•Brought to England by Ian Holloway, then Plymouth Argyle manager, in 2007
•Played one season at Home Park helping Plymouth secure a top-10 finish in the Championship before joining Millwall in July 2008

Approximately 5,000 miles away, football fans on the archipelago Indian Ocean island nation of Comoros will crowd around television sets hoping the captain of their national team can inspire the Championship underdogs to victory over Wigan Athletic.

There are 207 nations in Fifa's rankings table. Comoros, nestled between Madagascar and Mozambique, are 192nd on that list, slightly above European featherweights Andorra and San Marino, but trailing Sri Lanka and the Bahamas.

The national stadium in Mitsamiouli has a capacity of 5,000, the squad is made up mainly of semi-professional players, while Comoros's World Cup 2014 qualifying campaign ended before it had really begun thanks to a 5-1 aggregate defeat by Mozambique in November 2011.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21960194
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 13 Apr, 2013 05:47 am
@izzythepush,
I've heard today that anyone caught smiling during the live broadcasting of the funeral is likely to be arrested.
And when you read news about all that, you must wear black or get pictured on page three ...
spendius

Reply Sat 13 Apr, 2013 06:21 am
@Walter Hinteler,
It's just another Media festivity Walt. I've never heard the matter mentioned where I am. It's a wind-up. The chattering squad are restless, they need something to chatter about in order to bring our attention to the ads. And themselves.

Think of a good stunt and you can have your moment in the limelight. Which is what is being encouraged so that the chattering can go on and on. Chattering about a good stunt which was inspired by the chattering about the event.

"Leave your stepping stones behind, something calls for you
Forget the dead you've left, they will not follow you...."
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 13 Apr, 2013 12:44 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

It seem my views of Thatcher aren't widely held among the Brits here - perhaps an understatement. I wonder if they are a representative group. We see a bit of that in our press too.

Voters disagree with Cameron’s description of Margaret Thatcher as “the greatest British peacetime prime minister” by 41 per cent to 33 per cent, according to a ComRes poll for tomorrow’s Independent on Sunday, shared with the Sunday Mirror. And 60 per cent oppose taxpayer funding for next week’s funeral.

Thatcher: divisive, half right and not “the greatest”
vonny

Reply Sat 13 Apr, 2013 01:34 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Isn't the FA Cup wonderful?
It certainly is! Love stories like that of Nadjim Abdou - football is a great game.

Reminds me - have you seen GOAL? Some great footage of St James' Park, the city of Newcastle, and the local coastline - good football too!

vonny

Reply Sat 13 Apr, 2013 01:40 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
And 60 per cent oppose taxpayer funding for next week’s funeral.

I heard today that she had, in fact, arranged the funeral herself, some seven or more years ago - St Paul's, no flypast, the hymns et al. Does this mean Blair will have a similar funeral, and Cameron? Setting a precedent or what?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 13 Apr, 2013 01:42 pm
@vonny,
I've not, it's nice to see a film about English football with a shot of Alan Shearer, not David Beckham.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 13 Apr, 2013 01:44 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

georgeob1 wrote:

It seem my views of Thatcher aren't widely held among the Brits here - perhaps an understatement. I wonder if they are a representative group. We see a bit of that in our press too.

Voters disagree with Cameron’s description of Margaret Thatcher as “the greatest British peacetime prime minister” by 41 per cent to 33 per cent, according to a ComRes poll for tomorrow’s Independent on Sunday, shared with the Sunday Mirror. And 60 per cent oppose taxpayer funding for next week’s funeral.

Whatever Gbob thinks of us, we're a lot more representative of British public opinion than a bunch of Americans.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 13 Apr, 2013 01:58 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Credibility? Are you mad? Reagan was a dangerous lunatic. We're so lucky that Gorbachev was the Soviet president during Reagan's term in office, if there had been any other figure we would have all gone up in smoke.

You already lost your credibility before you started talking your smack.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 13 Apr, 2013 02:01 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
... there's plenty of anti Thatch songs, like Tramp The Dirt Down by Elvis Costello, Shipbuilding by Robert Wyatt, Margaret On The Guillotine by Morrisey and most of Billy Bragg's repetoire. That just scratches the surface of a considerable canon.

"The Post War Dream" by Roger Waters
izzythepush

Reply Sat 13 Apr, 2013 02:08 pm
@Ticomaya,
Is that the best you can do? It's hardly a ringing endorsement. It's a picture of industrial decline.

I bet they won't be playing it at the funeral.
spendius

Reply Sat 13 Apr, 2013 05:21 pm
@izzythepush,
Have you not seen the picture of industrial trail-blazing izzy?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 13 Apr, 2013 11:30 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Is that the best you can do? It's hardly a ringing endorsement. It's a picture of industrial decline.

It's another anti-Maggie song, obviously. Try to pay attention.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 14 Apr, 2013 01:44 am
@Ticomaya,
That's a cheap shot, you're the one who didn't make himself clear. You've taken up an adversarial position, so it's only natural to assume that when I said there were loads of anti-Thatch songs, but only one pro-Thatch you would try to prove me wrong, not give your own favourite anti-Thatch anthem.

Are you telling me you've seen the light? Are you finally, after all these years, willing to renounce Satan and all his works?