THE BRITISH THREAD II

spendius

Reply Tue 12 Mar, 2013 09:09 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Huhne pleaded guilty on day one of his trial, after arrogantly trumpeting his innocence and exhausting every possible ruse to get the case dropped. The English, public school-educated Huhne probably realised that he would be no match in open court for his Greek wife, whom blind fury had turned from respected senior civil servant and Companion of the Order of the Bath into Clapham’s answer to Clytemnestra.

That's contradictory izzy. A "blind fury" is a temporary insanity defence and thus Mrs Hulne is not guilty if it is accepted as a fact as the writer must expect us to. And the writer only wrote the paragraph to display her erudition in Greek art which is a bit wonky because Clytemnestra was not in a blind fury.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 12 Mar, 2013 02:03 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
That a senior judge should think there is anything unnatural about a woman being manipulative, controlling and devious under such drastic provocation tells us more about the silly sod than anything else. And that matter was not the subject of the trial either.

She was a lot more than that, she was spiteful and vindictive, and the way she manipulated her children was inhuman.

Spendi wrote:
And children and grandchildren are being denied the comforts of the maternal hand.

My kids have done fine without the comfort of a maternal hand these past nine years. Her kids are grown up anyway and she'll be out in no time at all. Without her controlling nature they might be able to start to think for themselves.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 12 Mar, 2013 02:08 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
And the writer only wrote the paragraph to display her erudition in Greek art which is a bit wonky because Clytemnestra was not in a blind fury.

Medea would have been a better example as the Today programme is so fond of telling us.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 12 Mar, 2013 02:12 pm
@izzythepush,
Manipulation is my idea of the greatest sin, so I'm not building a Pryce defense here!
izzythepush

Reply Tue 12 Mar, 2013 02:19 pm
@ossobuco,
I think she got exactly what she deserved. Eight months sounds like a long time, but she'll be out in four, and with electonic tags she might even be out in two.
spendius

Reply Tue 12 Mar, 2013 03:20 pm
@izzythepush,
Your just bought into the witch-hunt izzy. You love it. How the mighty are fallen. Front row at the guillotine.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 13 Mar, 2013 01:41 am
@spendius,
Absolute tosh Spendi, I believe in equality and in the law, I don't hearken back to some rose tinted golden age. The woman was guilty.

Btw, I had every sympathy for her until they played those tapes. Hearing them actually made me feel sorry for Huhne, something I've never experienced, before or since.
McTag

Reply Thu 14 Mar, 2013 02:41 pm
@izzythepush,

Cameron promised to implement Leveson recommendations. Now he's got them, he says he won't.
What has changed his mind?
He's a ****.

Newsnight tonight should be interesting.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 14 Mar, 2013 03:18 pm
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

Cameron promised to implement Leveson recommendations. Now he's got them, he says he won't.
What has changed his mind?
He's a ****.

That's why he's photographed so much with Clegg and Osborne, they're such enormous cunts you can easily forget Cameron's one too.
spendius

Reply Thu 14 Mar, 2013 06:19 pm
@izzythepush,
Neither you nor Mac understand the issues. The attitude of the cops to phone hacking is similar to the one they used to have for molestation allegations. They have many other pressing matters to deal with. Rock-a-bye-Baby for the victims of hacking is a typical liberal move. The victims had been warned about the technology long ago. Electronic communication is NOT secure and the only people who don't know are idiots or, if they do know, provocateurs.

I salute Mr Cameron for standing up for the freedom of expression and for recognising our grown up appreciation of the press.
McTag

Reply Fri 15 Mar, 2013 02:17 am
@spendius,

Leveson wanted a statute. Did he not understand the issues either?

I didn't see Newsnight myself btw, because I was out carousing, er, visiting friends.

Cameron is an overfed pompous Tory twat.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 15 Mar, 2013 02:37 am
@spendius,
Cameron stands for nothing but sticking his tongue up the arse of the rich and powerful.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 15 Mar, 2013 05:09 am
@McTag,
Quote:
Leveson wanted a statute. Did he not understand the issues either?

I think he understood the issues but didn't know what to do about them.

"The problem with a free society is how to prevent people doing what they want to do", he said.

The Newsnight discussion was mostly 5 people talking, or shouting, all at once.

There is no answer except to advise people not to use the phone to say things which will sell newspapers. And to prosecute people who break the law and let a jury decide on the public interest defence.

Things are a bit out of control Mac.
McTag

Reply Fri 15 Mar, 2013 02:10 pm
@spendius,
I know where you're coming from, of course, about the free press issue.

If we operated the same restrictions as France, for example, the exposee that The Telegraph did on the MP's expenses scandal would not have been possible, at least in that form.

Just the same, I think Murdoch is behind Cameron in this, probably offered him a nice unofficial sweetener if he can make this go away.
A cell next to Rebekah's is what he deserves.

Difficult times for the newsprint industry. It's a shrinking field.
spendius

Reply Fri 15 Mar, 2013 02:26 pm
@McTag,
What have you got against Thatcher?
izzythepush

Reply Fri 15 Mar, 2013 03:05 pm
@spendius,
What about the destruction of various communities in the North East, selling off the family silver, and waging a war to win an election.

I was on a merchant ship that served as a mine sweeper in the Falklands, (not during the conflict,) those that served told me about gagging orders and such. They knew the Argentinians were getting ready to invade a year before everything happened. If they had sent a couple of ships over, it could all have been avoided, but Thatcher would have lost the 83 election.
spendius

Reply Fri 15 Mar, 2013 03:48 pm
@izzythepush,
I know. Private Eye had a front page cover showing a tombstone with an inscription "They died to save her face."

When she was finally led away I remember saying that she had put back the cause of women PMs 200 years. She did a lot for single mums though.

She is rumoured to have started the first war in Iraq. She was having dinner with Mr Bush Snr when the news of the invasion of Kuwait came through. Possibly, like Eliot Ness, getting the latest intelligence from Media.

"What are you going to do about that then George? ", she is said to have put to the President in that micro-flight engine voice of hers.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 15 Mar, 2013 09:38 pm
@izzythepush,
I hear that there is a planned plebescite on the question of the continued protectorqte status of the FAlklands (LAs Malvinas). You dont need em . We dont need Puerto Rico either. Falkland for the Falkin Falklanders
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 15 Mar, 2013 09:38 pm
@izzythepush,
I hear that there is a planned plebescite on the question of the continued protectorqte status of the FAlklands (LAs Malvinas). You dont need em . We dont need Puerto Rico either. Falkland for the Falkin Falklanders
izzythepush

Reply Sat 16 Mar, 2013 03:39 am
@farmerman,
There was, it was pretty unanimous as well. We don't need 'em, but they don't want to be Argentinian.

Had Argentina not invaded a diplomatic solution would probably have been reached years ago.
0 Replies