THE BRITISH THREAD II

spendius

Reply Fri 1 Mar, 2013 06:19 pm
@McTag,
Did you see that guy on Newsnight who said that his biggest mistake was thinking that the Americans knew what they were doing?
tenderfoot

Reply Fri 1 Mar, 2013 08:08 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

We don't talk about such things on this thread Jock. The expression gathers into itself anything you can or wish to imagine. His having been sacked and him being a Cardinal it might be out of your range.

Spendy talk... "anything you can wish to imagine" thus trying to maximize his "wishing and imagining" the of the myths of his religious myths.
McTag

Reply Mon 4 Mar, 2013 02:37 am
@spendius,

Quote:
Did you see that guy on Newsnight who said that his biggest mistake was thinking that the Americans knew what they were doing?

No I didn't see that, I wish I had.
I wonder what he based that opinion on? Obviously not a newspaper reader.

Anyhow, I see our errant Scottish Cardinal O'Brien is still leading on the news, him and the Queen's gastro-enteritis.
Don't you yearn for the good old days when priests could comfort each other in private, and no-one sought to lift the veil for fear of excommunication?
It's embarrassing.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 4 Mar, 2013 03:47 am
@tenderfoot,
It's no way near as ridiculous as the Islamophobic bigotry you let yourself believe in.
Foofie

Reply Mon 4 Mar, 2013 11:21 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

It's no way near as ridiculous as the Islamophobic bigotry you let yourself believe in.

I understand the word "bigotry"; however, doesn't "Islamobphobic" imply some sort of fear of Moslems? One doesn't "believe" in fear; one is fearful. Sort of like being fearful of shaven headed young toughs. So, why can't a person be afraid of zealous Moslems that believe that Sharia law should be instituted in western countries? Or, a Caliphate that might have more temporal power than the Popes of the Middle Ages? What's with your giving little credence to real concerns?

izzythepush

Reply Mon 4 Mar, 2013 12:34 pm
@Foofie,
You've come in half way through a conversation and gone off half cock as usual. Fear that Shariah Law will be imposed in the UK is more ridiculous than fear of the boyeman. It's only ignorant foreigners that voice such concerns because they like to lap up the hysterical rants of Melanie Phillips.

Until you stop regarding My Fair Lady as a fly on the wall documentary you should really go and intrude somewhere else.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 4 Mar, 2013 01:40 pm
I've just read in the Daily Getsmuchworse that "over a million people in Britain do not speak English well". "The shocking numbers" are due to the "MASS immigration over the past few decades".

Well, I must admit that not every nation is as multi-lingual as the English. I mean, those "hundred of thousands of Eastern Europe workers" really should learn lessons from English residents in France, Canary Islands, Mallorca or the Spanish mainland for example. Or British soldiers here in Germany. ... ... ...

But I must admit that we've got similar problems here: in Stuttgart, managers and other highly positioned persons get lessons in how to speak German ... because their Swabian isn't understood well elsewhere.
McTag

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2013 03:12 am
@Walter Hinteler,

On our TV news this morning, British troops leaving their bases in Germany.

Fondly from my youth, I remember "Two-Way Family Favourites" on the radio on a Sunday, with Cliff Mitchelmore and the lovely voice of Jean Metcalfe, from places like BFPO Osnabruck, Bielefeld, Munster and so on.
No more BF PO there, then. My God, they've been there since 1945.
Did nobody notice?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2013 12:28 pm
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

Fondly from my youth, I remember "Two-Way Family Favourites" on the radio on a Sunday, with Cliff Mitchelmore and the lovely voice of Jean Metcalfe, from places like BFPO Osnabruck, Bielefeld, Munster and so on.
May I add BFPO 107 (Lippstadt)? The garrison here closed already. On 17 December 1992.

I'd lived for some time in the street, where the commanding officers (and other officers) of the two regiments had had their houses.
That was a quite safe area ... being on 24/24 watch of armed guards and military polices.
But quite annoying in summertime ... due to the clap clap clap, clap, clap of the mounted military police's horses.
And I had have a sticker on my windscreen and to show them my ID-card ... when I wanted to drive to my (German) home in a my (German) street
Foofie

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2013 08:54 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Until you stop regarding My Fair Lady as a fly on the wall documentary you should really go and intrude somewhere else.

Please give advice to some other American. I do not take advice from Brits.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2013 08:58 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

And this comes to us from one well versed in the subject.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 6 Mar, 2013 03:19 am
@Walter Hinteler,

Quote:
due to the clap clap clap, clap, clap of the mounted military police's horses.

THis is what my money was being wasted on? What part did the cavalry play in British military planning after 1945?
Maybe they were polo ponies.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 6 Mar, 2013 03:21 am
@Walter Hinteler,

Quote:
I had have a sticker on my windscreen and to show them my ID-card ... when I wanted to drive to my (German) home in a my (German) street

You can't be too careful with these foreign johnnies. They're a tricky bunch.

Better safe than sorry.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 6 Mar, 2013 03:38 am
@Walter Hinteler,
That's outrageous.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 7 Mar, 2013 02:02 pm

http://www.belltoons.co.uk/bellworks/var/albums/If/2013/7027-040313_BLAIRTENYEARSON.jpg
McTag

Reply Thu 7 Mar, 2013 02:03 pm
@McTag,

http://www.belltoons.co.uk/bellworks/var/albums/If/2013/7028-050313_BLAIRTENYEARSON.jpg
McTag

Reply Thu 7 Mar, 2013 02:04 pm
@McTag,

http://www.belltoons.co.uk/bellworks/var/albums/If/2013/7029-060313_BLAIRTENYEARSON.jpg
McTag

Reply Thu 7 Mar, 2013 02:05 pm
@McTag,

http://www.belltoons.co.uk/bellworks/var/albums/If/2013/7030-070313_BLAIRTENYEARSON.jpg
izzythepush

Reply Thu 7 Mar, 2013 02:09 pm
@McTag,
I thought you'd been gagged for a moment Tag. What about Vicky Pryce eh? Any bet on the sort of sentence they'll both be receiving? I think it will be more than 3 months, but not as much as 18. Huhne will get longer, and will probably do a Jonathan Aitken and find God.
spendius

Reply Thu 7 Mar, 2013 02:50 pm
@izzythepush,
A mother and grandmother going to jail for being loyal to a fault to her husband!!!! Ye Gods. Vot eez zee vorlt comink to?

I hope she appeals. It's a PC verdict. From what I have read, which is not much, Mr Justice Sweeney misdirected the jury. He's probably under the cosh at home.