msolga

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 02:34 am
@msolga,
Oh dear, I've scared her away.

I shouldn't shout like that!
McTag

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 03:14 am
@msolga,

The supervisor must be hovering near her desk.
msolga

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 04:51 am
@McTag,
Could be that.

But I will now desist from further shouting, anyway.

G'day to you, McTag!

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 08:10 am
Forget Boston: Britain won the tea battle against Germany

(Teekanne is known for such: dozens of teashops here in Germany got warning letters over the last decades ...)
smorgs

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 11:34 am
MSOLGA!

G'day girl!

How you doing?

Not 'seen' you in ages - sorry about the 'eff' word - sometimes no other word will do.

x
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 11:37 am
BTW Muckty, I do not have a 'supervisor', I am a Manager, believe it or not.

I do have a 'Head Girl' as I like to call her - but I don't see her that often, only when she gets her jodhpurs in a twist over nowt.

x
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 03:15 pm
@Walter Hinteler,

We will fight them in the tearooms, and at the tea dances. We will fight them in the caffs. We will nevah surrender.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2009 12:35 am
@msolga,

G'day to you, msolga.

I have been writing to my cousin (once or twice removed) Angus, in Auckland.
That's down your way, isn't it?

These Jocks get everywhere.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2009 07:59 am

If I ruled the world,
Every day would be the first day of spring....

Nice and warm and sunny here today
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2009 01:47 am
...every heart would have a new song to sing

Cheers for that Mucty, it will be playing in my head all day...

Where's spenders?

x
McTag

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2009 02:00 am
@smorgs,

He's gone off in a sulk because we are not interlecshal enough for him here.

Rolling Eyes Confused Neutral Wink Smile Very Happy
Dutchy

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2009 02:03 am
@McTag,
More likely sulking because you guys lost the test series against the West Indies this week!!
spendius

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2009 05:12 am
@Dutchy,
I loved it Dutch. I always stick up for whoever England is playing. And that goes double for the West Indian boys. It was a great series. I watched it all. Fancy the miles second best team running off with the trophy using pure cunning. Fabulous. What a game cricket is. Once you get jingoistic about it you have lost the plot. It's a missionary project.

Sky's commentary team is a wonder. As is the camera work. I've seen a fair bit of the matches in S. Africa as well and that commentary is pathetic and nearly as bad as what the Americans provide themselves with.

smorgsie was correct. The conversation on here recently has been dire. I was so touched by smorgsie's post about her empathy with her jobseekers that I couldn't bring myself to shred her sweet illusions. Sweet illusions trump economics every time. I nearly had a lump in my throat.

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2009 06:23 am
@spendius,
But Utd won. And liverpool. And Chelsea. And Arsenal (unfortunately)

So its The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and associated foreign players 4, Italy 0. (nil...nillo...nillissimo)
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2009 02:30 pm

If I never hear another brainless godless media celeb airhead exclaiming "Oh my God!" again, it'll be much too soon.
spendius

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2009 02:38 pm
@McTag,
Surely Mac that will depend upon the circumstances giving rise to the exclamation.

It is well known that "Oh my God!" is the most common expression declaimed by ladies in the last throes of frenzied ecstasy. Often repetitively and with more exclamation marks.
Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2009 05:00 pm
@spendius,
Just watched part 2 of Red Riding. Pretty accurate portrayal of West Yorkshire police circa. 1980. And I've just realised why its called Red Riding...ok I'm slow.
McTag

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2009 05:13 pm
@spendius,

Quote:
It is well known that "Oh my God!" is the most common expression declaimed by ladies in the last throes of frenzied ecstasy. Often repetitively and with more exclamation marks.

I must regretfully and mournfully bow to your own evidently superior experience on this point, Spendy old fruit.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2009 05:17 pm
@Steve 41oo,
Somebody wrote a book called South Riding, did they not.
But there were of course only three, because "riding" was once a term for the third part of a whole, or so I was told.

and EDIT

The word riding is descended from late Old English *þriðing or *þriding (recorded only in Latin contexts or forms, e.g., trehing, treding, trithing, with Latin initial t here representing the Old English letter thorn). It came into Old English as a loanword from Old Norse þriðjungr, meaning a third part (especially of a county), cf. farthing. The modern form riding was the result of initial th being absorbed in the final th or t of the words north, south, east and west, by which it was normally preceded.[2][3]

A common misconception holds that the term arose from some association between the size of the district and the distance that can be covered on horseback in a certain amount of time.

spendius

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2009 05:57 pm
@McTag,
I presume that means that the Chieftan's various "squeezes" were sequestered in bowers in these various bits and were referred to as the "north riding", the "south riding" etc as he was usually too pissed to remember their names and wasn't bothered anyway.

Is that what you are hinting Mac in your usual opaque manner?