THE BRITISH THREAD II

smorgs

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2009 12:11 am
Oh my God!

I'm up late this morning.

And I seem to have developed a giant quiff during the hours of darknes - don't ya just just hate that?

x
McTag

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2009 03:24 am
@spendius,

ooOOooh.

Pota and kettles. Opacity is in the eye of the beholder, bud.

No I wasn't referring to that. Yorkshire was originally divided for administration purposes in three "ridings". There never was a South Riding. Hence the name for the novel. I blame the Local Government Act of 1970-something. But the Chieftain's sexual proclivities sound more interesting.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2009 04:47 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:
The word riding is descended from late Old English *þriðing or *þriding (recorded only in Latin contexts or forms, e.g., trehing, treding, trithing, with Latin initial t here representing the Old English letter thorn). It came into Old English as a loanword from Old Norse þriðjungr, meaning a third part (especially of a county), cf. farthing. The modern form riding was the result of initial th being absorbed in the final th or t of the words north, south, east and west, by which it was normally preceded...
Interesting thanks..I didnt sleep too well last night, appear to have a bit of a fever. I got to think about when the Boys in Blue or rather Our Boys Splattered in Red were torturing the guy with an electric drill in front of his daughter, and parallels with today's methods. Binymen Mohamed had his penis slashed with a scalpel, and you know I couldn't help but think it was wrong somehow. Anyhow I did sleep eventually and I woke up to hear a Government Spokesperson say that "The British Government neither participates in, solicits, encourages nor condones the use of torture". Which no doubt is true, because anyone they need information from badly enough is put into the American system of extraordinary rendition. Of course back in the time of Red Riding, the British Government knew all about the various techniques they perfected in Northern Ireland. And if you read The Nemesis File by Paul Bruce, you'll find out exactly where the bodies were buried. (Co Antrim OS map ref 160534 and 182925). But that was fiction. Or so I am encouraged to believe.

Who's going to win the Gold Cup Spendy?
Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2009 04:58 am
@Steve 41oo,
And yet we have no option but to do everything we can against the Islamic militants. Death has no meaning for them except as a portal to paradise. Do they already possess suitcase nuclear weapons? The situation is extraordinarily dangerous.

I was told to back Something Wells yesterday and it came in at 25:1, but I didnt.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2009 05:37 am
@smorgs,

Quote:
And I seem to have developed a giant quiff during the hours of darkness- don't ya just just hate that?

Just like Cameron Diaz in "There's Something about Mary"?

hehehee
spendius

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2009 06:07 am
@Steve 41oo,
Quote:
Who's going to win the Gold Cup Spendy?

After my coup last year on Denman I am loathe to desert it but the Gold Cup is not a race for horses which have had an operation. I think the favourite is at too short a price bearing in mind the form of the Irish so I am flying a small bet on my Royalist colours with Barbers Shop.
Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2009 06:27 am
@spendius,
Cheers spends ole buddy.

Off down the chemists to buy some lem-sip powders. Its next to the bookies.
spendius

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2009 06:36 am
@Steve 41oo,
I don't know that lem-sip powders are any use. Wait it out.
Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2009 07:49 am
@spendius,
What I dont understand is why theses horses put up with all that beating. They only have to put the brakes on suddenly and that irritating little Irishman with a whip is departed. Then one good kick and they'd be fishing him out of the Bristol Channel.

spendius

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2009 08:49 am
@Steve 41oo,
Like all animals Steve they are completely stupid. The idea is to make them think a swarm of angry bees are stinging their arse.

Rich chaps love it I read.
Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2009 09:28 am
@spendius,
So Kato Star it is. Good job I never made it to the chemists.
spendius

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2009 10:17 am
@Steve 41oo,
Yeah--great performance. 7 to 4 is a bit stingy though.

But Denman. To run like that after a heart op. is incredible.

H.M.'s horse couldn't jump in that class.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2009 07:07 am
ahem

http://able2know.org/topic/130379-2
smorgs

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2009 07:51 am
@McTag,
Muckty! You are impuning my character, ya wee Scottish baaaastard ya!

...I find it quite amusing that you even dare comment on MY hair.

x
spendius

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2009 09:08 am
@dadpad,
Quote:
ahem

I'm all in favour of a bit of banter between us Brits and our Aussie cousins who carry our DNA in their flang-flaps. But not that tasteless, witless type which Big Ears and Ms Olga have seen fit to disgrace the word "banter" with.

They are the sort of ladies who take offence when we describe their ilk, justly, as our experience of them dictates. They want us to see them in a golden glow of innocence and virtue so that when they shaft us we won't have seen them coming.
Steve 41oo

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2009 02:35 am
@spendius,
Steady on old bean.

Cycling here http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ee/andrewsfield_latest_weather.html

in a few minutes. 4 inches of snow by the time we get there I should think.
McTag

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2009 03:36 am
@Steve 41oo,

Noting that Steve did not mention football.

I thought Rafa's boys done well. (I still smile at that placard the Scousers waved when they went t0 Istanbul to play Galatasaray: "Rafa Is The Boss For Us")

And Vidic assumed that since he was playing at Old Trafford, he would get away with one of his trademark fouls. Sadly, not.
Steve 41oo

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2009 11:48 am
@McTag,
Well I didn't like to rub it in that Utd will win the Premier league and another 3 trophies as well besides being World Champions and winning the Carling Cup. Whats that the Quintuple? Sextuple? I'm please for the scousers, sends them back to their benighted city a little happier.

And as for cycling it was a beautiful spring day. Nobody punctured. Excellent breakfast at the Airfield clubhouse. I took it easy. 54 miles max speed 26, av 14.4. Our new Iranian member did not show so he was not there to fall off. Usual collection of Cessnas and stuff and someone turned up in a 1950's Super Sabre. Well he must have done because it was parked in a corner of the airfield.

Steve 41oo

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2009 12:15 pm
@Steve 41oo,
Spends. mrs Steve, who likes cats, wants to know if you are getting a replacement for the British Blue that dropped dead?
spendius

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2009 12:34 pm
@Steve 41oo,
It is being discussed. But there is a moggy around the place. Actually, we thought she would have missed him but she hasn't turned a hair.