Users Connected to My Computer

CDobyns

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 12:57 pm
Am running Win98 on an IBM Thinkpad laptop and connecting to the Internet through a regular dial-up networking connection. Am regularly running both AVG virus software and Spyware Doctor.

On a couple of occasions recently I've had to reboot my computer while connected to the internet, and have received the dialog box: There are 2 user(s) connected to your computer. Shutting down your computer will disconnect them. Do you want to continue? - when I invoke the Restart function.

I'm not sure I understand the message, but I've seen this at work, when I reboot in our networked environment and someone is "sharing" a resource - like a printer or CD ROM. An informed hunch tells me that this message can't be a "good thing". Is there something about this phenomenon that I should probably be concerned about, and if so - what steps can I take to stop this unauthorized "sharing"?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 754 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 01:50 pm
Is your IBM ThinkPad laptop networked or connected to peripherals like a printer, scanner etc?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 02:22 pm
I haven't used Win98 for some time now, but I think this may have to do with how you are logging off of your Thinkpad.

These other users may be you (on different sessions)... if you started a new session while another session (logon) were still running. I would check and see what happens if you are logged on, but don't touch the computer for a long time...

Does the login screen come up after a set period of time? If my theory is correct, when you log in again, there will be two sessions.

I don't remember how to fix this on Win98 (the control you want may even be Thinkpad specific), but I would check the control panel for what happens when the computer is left idle.
0 Replies