Bad Apple Rental Neighbors... what to do?

shemay

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 07:35 pm
Hello, Crying or Very sad

I really don't know where to ask this question. I looked for the proper place but then realized that maybe I should ask other people who are deeply invested in their homes, like myself, so here I am. Please don't call me Mrs. Cravitz! (anyone familiar with the oldie but goodie, Bewitched?)

I'm hoping to hear some advice on how others would handle this situation.

At the moment, I'm sitting in my home office typing this and out the window I have an increasingly painful view. The home across from me has become a rental in the past few years. So far the folks have been really good people. Mostly young couples with very young kids.. probably just getting started out in life. I think they've been friends or family of the owner. So these folks and the owner have all been tidy.

Now for the bad news of the current renters. It's been about 6 months since they moved in. It appears to be a mother in her late 40's, with a teenage son and daughter. The kids are good kids from my experiances. I've had to speak to the daughter once about turning down some music she had blasting out of a window while she was in and out sitting on the front porch. No one else was home, and she quickly obliged.

The son is always working on cars. Yes I said cars, plural. I respect anyone who is capable of mechanic work, and I mean that sincerely. The young man is doing the best he can. However, there are 3 dead cars, one on blocks. Two have been there sitting dead, since they moved in.

The woman is very rough looking and unkempt. The home which used to be well kept is becoming more and more like the woman who lives there. It looks like something oily has been thrown at the siding and is dotted with oily stains now. The woman of the houses name is written on the glass front door in white grease crayon for the past few months. JUANITA. I know her name cause she used to come over an borrow stuff alot in the beginning. When they started asking to borrow tools from my fiance he suggested that they go rent them at the Home Depot. They looked at him like he was nuts and started knocking on another neighbors door. Good ridance.

There appears to be a family friend who visits sometimes and on the back of the hatchback's window written in oil crayon reads "cash, gas or ass.. no one rides for free". Let's face it.. these people are trashy... and my NEIGHBORS! ugh.

Oh my word! As I speak a white truck drove up, 7 (2 adult skanky men, I've not talked about them yet & 5 teens) people from inside the home came outside... 3 in the truck. An argument was going on.. arms thrown up in the air, pointing fingers... now the truck has left and the 7 all standing outside talking and laughing.

I'm so grossed out. Once I heard the mother Juanita, yelling at one of the teens "If YOU DON"T WORK, YOU DON"T LIVE HERE". Juanita was driving the car with 4 teens in the car and since the windows were rolled down I clearly heard Juanita yell that at the teens. That said, I can't tell who really lives there. It's a small three bedroom house, and depending at a given time it appears that up to 6 people may live there.

The two adult skanky men are new faces. There used to be another skanky man, but he didn't live there. I'm not sure if one or both are boarders (for rent), or a boyfriend and friend or whatever.

Recently, I had high hopes that Juanita was soon to be evicted. I was sitting on my front porch swing when the neighbors to the side of her came walking down with glasses of tea in their hands. The are good clean people (who take great care of their home) and are related to the owner. I overheard Juanita who talks really loud. I only heard her part of the conversation. They were obviously discussing rent or lack there of. Juanita was making excuses. She was saying that her phone was cut off and she didn't have the money. Her car at the time had been towed away by a tow truck. (It's back now. It's the only operational car they have.)

I really crossed my fingers in hopes that this was a sign that she'd be evicted soon and the problem I'm facing will disappear on it's own. However, shortly after this new skanky fella moves in apparently to help pay the rent? He and his scary looking friend.. it's like something out of the horror movies.

My fiance has told me to stay out of it.. and I AM scared to say something to the owner. We don't know if Juanita is family or not. Do I have a right to complain to the owner about her tenents? We've been so lucky to have good renters in the past. What if these tenants continue to trash the place and it isn't repaired and there isn't a hope for decent tenants in the future?

Sorry this is so long. I'm very upset about this and feel like a victim actually. I'm not afraid of Juanita or her children or the teenage friends. But these new tenant she dragged in.. these new skanky men who are horendously scary to look at. I'm afraid if I do complain and it gets back to the renters... what sort of backlash would I be subjecting our home or even ourselves too? What would you do? Would you just let the whole situation play itself out? Would you complain?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,703 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 07:48 pm
I wouldn't complain. If you think having skank is bad think about having skank that hates you.

I do not envy you one bit.

Welcome to the site BTW.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 07:58 pm
You might contact the city about the junk cars. Most cities have ordinances with regard to such a thing. For example, in the city of Columbus, Ohio, in which i used to live, any vehicle which has not moved in 30 days can be impounded. However, the city makes no effort to enforce that regulation, unless and until there is a complaint. You would remain anonymous, and if sufficient grief were entailed for the landlord, he might take steps.

Good luck . . .
0 Replies

Tex-Star

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 08:21 pm
Craven is right, let it play out or move. When they begin harrassing you, what will you do, harrass them back (act like them)? Maybe you can learn something about controling your thoughts on these "neighbors." See them as funny then bleap them out same as a delete button on your computer.

I know about weird people next door. Ignore them, feel sorry for them, but don't take them on and don't let them rankle you.

Good luck.
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 08:43 pm
Most city and county building and zoning codes are enforced only when someone complains.
Write a letter to whatever office handles building codes in your area:

1) As Setanta said, vehicles on blocks may be cited as an eyesore,
regardless if it's on public or private property.

2) Any vehicles on the side of the street must be moved every 72 hours,
or it may be considered abandoned and towed.

3) There is a legal limit to the number of people allowed to live in a house -- something like the number of bedrooms plus one.

4) If there is any public disturbance, don't hesitate to call the police department. If they have to come to a house more than three times it may be an automatic citation and fine.

5) If you witness any domestic violence, do the same.

6) Check with the County Recorders Office to locate the name and address of the current owner. Write them an anonymous letter stating the conditions of the house, and how many people seem to be living there. Most rental agreements limit the occupants, to just those specifically named.

7) If you fear for your own safety, consider buying a $60 X10 video camera and setting your VCR to record the front yard. It can be motion activated as well (for $20), just like the lights in the yard.

As suggested, I would try to stay anonymous to the residents themselves.
Be courteous and polite, avoid any and all contact.

It's unfortunate that you have to be cautious and watch yourself, but you do. Merely disliking ones neighbors doesn't seem like enough reason to cause trouble, but writing a few letters may bring to attention people's legal and legitimate concerns.

Being messy or disgusting is not against the law, but if it there are actual threats or disturbances, keep a written log of exactly what happens when. If legal action ever becomes necessary, the log will help to establish a clear history. Also, the act of writing a log may help you get perspective on how extreme or trivial things really are. Take a deep breath. Stay level-headed and rational.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 09:54 pm
Also, feel free to vent anytime you like! I can certainly identify with many aspects of your story, and enjoyed reading what you had to say and how you said it even though I don't have much practical advice, unfortunately.

I'm sure you're not the only person who is concerned -- maybe speak to your neighbors, find out more about what your options are as a group? While I'm sure it must be difficult to do nothing, I also would really worry about you if you confronted them directly or even if you were discovered to be behind calls re: the cars, etc. Something from the neighborhood as a whole would take the focus off of you.

Good luck!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 10:22 pm
I would worry too. In my town, yes, you can make a complaint without the neighbors knowing the source, but guess what - if the city actually prosecutes the complaint, you are the witness.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 11:05 pm
I agree with roger and sozobe. I went throught something similar last year. There is a rental property across the street from me, a duplex. I knew the owner as a client of my own business, but didn't know him very well. The rentals have been temporary situations, but prior to last year I liked the people just fine, whatever they did. Some were temporarily here as construction people or temp nurses at the local hospitals. One woman was there because her house had burned and she and the kids stayed while the remod was going on. But ... some new people came to the front place, with a series of icky cars.

Let me not get too harsh about icky cars, my own has a dent, needs a wash and is over ten years old. So...ickier cars.

The street between us is a side street, and I see that building out my kitchen window. So, I couldn't help but notice some very short time visitors. I started to think these were meth distributors, or something like that. I started to keep a log of car descriptions and eventually started to record license plates.

In the city I last lived in, Neighborhood Watch was an active program, and people worked to keep the community safe and well. A famous gang territory, famous there anyway, was about ten blocks away, and we were always watchful. So when this started happening in my new place, I wanted to be not-a-victim, but I also didn't want to become the person to lash out at for creeps.

I called the police once, and they said come down and make a report. I didn't, still wasn't sure. Weeks went by. A work associate who was a recovering addict nodded, yeah, that is what is happening (he passed the place routinely on his way to a landscape job nearby.) I went to the Owner's office; he is an insurance agent/multiresidential property owner, and described my concerns. Owner wasn't there, but the second in charge appreciated hearing.

I was aware I had no proof, but considered calling the police narc division, or whatever it is, so they could watch from my kitchen. Didn't, but kept logging cars and times. Went to the owner's again, and the manager told me they were now watching, agreed, and these people would be out. They were due to be out anyway, but there would be no renewal. This was the first time they had rented through some county help agency and they wouldn't do it again. Apparently the folks were doing some retraining program.

So.....they did leave, to my exquisite relief, and I never did visit the police with my lists. I feel guilty about that, but I also did not want to bring police action to someone just from appearances. I could feel guilty the other way, that the owners wouldn't renew for them, or more importantly, for others through that agency, but I don't. I know that is why those cars and trucks were pulling up for seven minutes.

Among the interesting things - nobody ever looked up at my window. (My house is set up about three and a half feet, so the kitchen window is high.)

I don't know what is appropriate in your case...the woman is a slob, but may not be doing anything terribly illegal. Can the neighbors get together and speak with the owner?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 06:07 am
Oh yeah, I've been there and know of what you speak.

I'd say, talk to the owner. Just mention - it looks like there are a lot of visitors, there may be a sublet, do you know about this? Not accusing, not mean. Just - do you know about the situation? 'Cause the skanky guy is, very probably, an illegal sublet or some other such violation of the lease.

Now, about the cars. Like Setanta said, there are ordinances in many cities and towns (Philadelphia is one) which prohibit this kind of "use the front yard as a garage" nonsense. Lodge a complaint anonymously (you should be able to do so). It may take a while, e. g. the police may need to wait a month to assure that the car(s) is/aren't being moved.

Talk to your other neighbors. They probably feel the same way as you do. I'm not suggesting becoming unfriendly to these people, as there may be a backlash from that. But you'll feel better if you know other people are concerned. That way, you can all coordinate what you're doing. I am certain that your neighbors who are owners are as concerned about the neighborhood (and their property values) as you are.

If there are loud parties and the like, call the cops. Just do it. We had next-door neighbors (they were tenants) who we used to do that to all the time (they deserved it; this wasn't a vendetta, they would blast music at 2 AM on a work night).

It's hard to get people evicted. Most states have laws which are very protective of tenants. However, nonpayment of rent and/or lease violations can do it - but the owner has to be the one to do it. They'll be a lot more likely to push it (or at least to not renew the lease when it expires) if the cops come around, etc.
0 Replies

bobsmyth

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 06:08 am
My post would have been exactly what Sozobe did. Get neighborhood people involved both to deflect any anger from you and to feel out their views to affirm they are of like sentiments. By all means don't get into a confrontational one on one. If you and your neighbors agree you might get a proposal forwarded to the owner that it's time for a cleanup. Not just for personal peace but also for the ever present land value consideration.
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 07:44 am
It seems that your biggest problem is "these new skanky men who are horendously scary to look at" - it is her choice who she invites over and none of your business. If they were having raging parties until 4 am or something, that would be one thing, but that doesn't seem to be the case here. If you have legitimate legal complaints, call the cops. Otherwise, just stop looking at them.

People have a right to carry on with there lives unharrassed by neighbors. You state that you are not frightened by them, there seems to be no abuse occuring and the children are fairly well behaved. If the owner was so incredibly concerned about the property maybe the owner should stop by once and a while.

As for the cars, you can request they be removed as previously stated.

I have some 'trash' that lives across the street from me too. Her kids are mouthy, she sounds like a truck driver from a trailer park and they all hang outside all day screeching and carrying on. Not to mention the caliber of her company ("recovering" drug addicts, etc..). Oh well. She has just as much right to live there as I do, and maybe she doesn't think much of me either. It's all a matter of opinion. Que sera.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 09:13 am
Neighborhoods and landlords certainly arent what they used to be, unfortunately.
Living in a neighborhood that has changed dramatically myself, I feel for ya but, gotta say...hey...what can ya do?
There are loud, obnoxious, untidy, and stupid people out there and they have the right to live wherever they'd like. As long as they arent doing anything illegal, all you can do is live with it.
If the landlord is interested in the property well, they would take a look at the place on occassion themselves. Perhaps they just need to know they should take a look at the place? If it doesnt bother them, theres nothing you can do about it. Unless of course it gets to a place where it is either illegal or unhealthy.
I dont enjoy viewing Gnome gardens but, Im not going to tell someone they cant have that cuz I dont like it. Its a free country.
Actually, you say that you heard a possible economic problem over there...if you think its that bad already, be prepared, it could get worse but, hopefully itll get better in time.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 09:17 am
Shemay
Shemay, you didn't say whether or not your neighborhood is part of a regulated homeowners' association (HOA). If it is, you should contact the association's manager.

I don't recommend calling the police or confronting the neighbors any further than you already have done. They may be the type to retaliate.

If the property is not in a HOA, I recommend that you go to your city's offices where the records of property owners are kept. Ask the clerk to show you the details of the property where the renters are living. Get the name and address of the owner. I believe you are entitled to this information as it is a public record.

Learn if the property is owned by an individual owner or a corporation. You may be able to learn if the owner retains a management company for all rentals.

I recommend that you send a certified letter to the owner or management of the property. Your letter should be polite, but firm. It should provide some detail of the renter's behavior that is detrimental to the neighborhood. I also recommend that you include some photographs of the house and yard showing how the property and its value is being adversely affected. Point out that the condition of owner's property is having an adverse impact on the value or your house as well as your neighbors. If there any houses for sale in the immediate area, point out that the renters are adversely impacting a potential sale and the sale price, confirmed by the seller's real estate agent, if possible.

Ask the owner to require the renters to maintain the property up to the standards of the neighborhood and to be a good neighbor. If not, ask that the renter's lease not be renewed on the basis of a request by as many neighbors as agree with you.

Advise the owner that you are taking this first step as a courtesy to the owner knowing that he/she would also wants to protect the value of the property and, you assume, the owner is unaware of the situation or he/she would have already taken action against the tenants. Ask the owner to not disclose the source of this information to the renters because you fear retaliation.

State that if something is not done to correct the problem within a reasonable time (no more than 60 days) you and your neighbors will be required to start calling the police to remedy the situation. If that happens, the police may be contacting the owner directly.

If all of this fails, then I recommend that you contact the nearest Community Dispute Resolution center in your area and ask them for help in resolving the neighbor dispute issues.

Good luck!

---BumbleBeeBoogie
0 Replies

shemay

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 01:17 pm
I'd like to thank everyone for their replies. You've all been really kind in allowing me to air my grief over this situation without backlash. Certainly I'm not the only person ever affected by an unbearable neighbor, and it's not even the first time. I'm learning believe me. Several of you had suggestions regarding how to handle the broken down cars and advice of the steps I'd need to take with the city. It's not a measure I've ever taken.. in fact I've not taken any measures out of fear of possible backlash. I'll keep all of your info on hand, and please know that I appreciate the time each of you took to respond and provide such good information.

Again, thanks for the support, advice and the kind welcoming, S
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 01:43 pm
Good luck, shemay! Let us know what happens.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 07:45 pm
Thanks, shemay, and I agree, let us know what happens...

if you are new here, you can find this under Your Topics if you lose track....
0 Replies