Well, I'm only 15. BUT I HAVE FEELINGS I NEED TO EXPRESS!

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 03:40 pm
If you do a search on Questioner, it will show you his posts. Actually, his story is quite detailed and vikor only has a very small portion of it. I haven't seen him on the forums for quite awhile now. Maybe he'll pop in soon!

I blew the motherboard on my computer and it's in the shop and this one is a loaner, so I don't have access to my email address book otherwise I'd send him an email. But the good news is I should have my computer back soon!
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 03:52 pm
Hello Arella Mae,

Is Questioner also Cobbler?
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 04:53 pm
Found this interesting post in this thread from Scott777ab

Quote:
Gen 2:24 Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.
The bible teaches quite straight out the marriage of a man to his wife, not wifes.

Solomon, who was blessed by God, has something in the vicinity of 600 wives, and 1000 concubines -going from memory, so the numbers may be somewhat off, but it was an extravagant number of wives and concubines...and talking about concubines, if he made out with one of them, wouldn't that be fornication?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 05:00 pm
vikorr wrote:
Hello Arella Mae,

Is Questioner also Cobbler?

Hello Vikorr,

I don't know if they are the same person or not.
0 Replies

chiso

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 12:18 am
i completely agree with questioning the age of 15 here

damn - what was a typical day for me in 1985 - of course, there was no internet then......... walk across the tracks after school and see who was going to fight that day, if not myself, go play some football, then some basketball, go voer some girls house all sweaty and dirty, smoke some left and right handed cigarrettes - get home from school around 9 or 10 pm, do it all againn the next day in random order

Cobbler, if by the grace of God you have all of your limbs (i'll sh|t if you say no - and i'm very, very sorry), is to get off the internet and get your @$$ outside. Because if you're truly 15, and you have truly done all of this research and reading yourself .... then you need a break. Probably a year. Get your philosophy for now from an old band called Cheap Trick - Momma's alright, Daddy's alright, they jsut seem a little wierd

My advice - for the most important choices and decisions of your life - don't get your advice from annonymous people on the internet.
0 Replies

chiso

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 12:25 am
i think it was 700 wives and 300 concubines
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 09:20 am
chiso wrote:
i think it was 700 wives and 300 concubines

Ok, now I have to get my Bible out. I thought David had the 700 wives? Laughing

Okay, looked it up: Good for you Chiso! You had it right.

1 Kings 11:3 - 700 wives and 300 concubines.

It seems David had eight wives but I haven't found the exact scripture for it. But I'm looking! Laughing
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 03:31 pm
I thought David had 4 wives - mind you, it's been about 13 years since I last read the bible, so eight is probably right.

By the way, in relation to Solomon, if I remember right, there are two references to the number of wives and concubines he had, and they quote different numbers.
0 Replies

Pauligirl

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 10:49 pm
Michal, Abigail, Ahinoam of Jezreel, Eglah, Maacah, Abital, Haggith, and Bathsheba, and concubines

"Wherefore David arose and went, he and his men, and slew of the Philistines two hundred men; and David brought their foreskins, and they gave them in full tale to the king, that he might be the king's son in law. And Saul gave him Michal his daughter to wife." 1 Samuel 18:27. (See also 1 Samuel 19:11-18; 25:44; and 2 Samuel 3:13-14; 6:20-23.)

"David sent and communed with Abigail, to take her to him to wife. 1 Samuel 25:39

"David also took Ahinoam of Jezreel; and they were also both of them his wives." 1 Samuel 25:43

"But Saul had given Michal his daughter, David's wife," 1 Samuel 25:44

"Absalom the son of Maacah the daughter of Talmai king of Geshur;" 2 Samuel 3:3

"And the fourth, Adonijah the son of Haggith; and the fifth, Shephatiah the son of Abital; And the sixth, Ithream, by Eglah David's wife. These were born to David in Hebron." 2 Samuel 3:4-5

"And David took him more concubines and wives" 2 Samuel 5:13, 1 Chronicles 14:3

"And Nathan said to David, Thou art the man. Thus saith the LORD God of Israel, I anointed thee king over Israel, and I delivered thee out of the hand of Saul; And I gave thee thy master's house, and thy master's wives into thy bosom, and gave thee the house of Israel and of Judah; and if that had been too little, I would moreover have given unto thee such and such things." 2 Samuel 12:7-8

"And David comforted Bathsheba his wife..." 2 Samuel 12:24

"And the king went forth, and all his household after him. And the king left ten women, which were concubines, to keep the house." 2 Samuel 15:16. (See also 2 Samuel 16:21-23.)
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 10:53 pm
Thank you Pauligirl!
0 Replies

rottie

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2007 03:47 am
Actually he didn't research this on his own; he simply watched a video, stole all of their facts and didn't leave a citation. Suggesting himself as the author.

Video
0 Replies

BDV

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2007 02:19 pm
Re: Well, I'm only 15. BUT I HAVE FEELINGS I NEED TO EXPRESS
123rock wrote:

......... BS BS

That's your opinion, with your preconceptions of what harm is. Please stop crying.

......... etc etc ramble ramble

I think you should go so your mommy can hold you. There are far better arguments against Christianity.

Typical right christian BS, take a 15 year old boy, who decides to questions the bible then belittle him and address him as if he is a 2 year old needing his mummy instead of treating him like an adult and explaining where he maybe going wrong.

Oh I forgot you can't do that because the bible contradicts itself and was compiled, edited and updated by a sun worshipper in the 4th century and anyway its loosely based on the teachings of Saul (The self-proclaimed Apostle, who never met the jesus), sure you aren't even sure what Jesus name is (Iesus, Yeshua, Yeshu, Joshua, Yehoshua, Eesho, Eashoa etc etc)... or his title. When you get that right maybe then you could start lecturing, but what are you gonna lecture him with.... hey the worlds only 6000 years old and Noah packed all the dinosaurs into the ark, which was a box, and God murdered the entire world in a childish whim (I think God needed his mummy there).... blah blah blah or God made the earth before the sun, or how the sun circles the earth, and how god makes the universe appear old just to test us into not believing the earth is 6000 years old ???

I see someone deleted the post, oh well........
0 Replies

123rock

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 02:53 am
Re: Well, I'm only 15. BUT I HAVE FEELINGS I NEED TO EXPRESS
BDV wrote:

Typical right christian BS, take a 15 year old boy, who decides to questions the bible then belittle him and address him as if he is a 2 year old needing his mummy instead of treating him like an adult and explaining where he maybe going wrong.

You don't think I've questioned the Bible? Heck, I read 90% skeptic literature because most of what I find that "defends" Christianity out there is a big farce, and in the end many major points aren't addressed by apologetics. Every point that he has addressed has not only been addressed by traditionalists ten times for every grain of sand in this world, but I was kind of irritated to see it as the main argument. Usually it just accompanies as a lesser argument to a big argument, such as the problem of evil, or something like that.

Quote:

Oh I forgot you can't do that because the bible contradicts itself and was compiled, edited and updated by a sun worshipper in the 4th century

The majority of allegations of biblical contradictions have been addressed. The Bible was compiled into a single book at the Council of Nicea in 325, but before then it certainly existed, and every copy we have since the apostolic age (earliest is mid-2nd century), as well as quotations from the Apostolic Fathers show a 98% textual similarity, with the 2%'s origins (or about 150,000 word variations) shown as variation such as from "Jesus Christ," to "Christ Jesus." No contextual variation in any sense. Sun worshipper? The only relationship between the sun and Jesus Christ is the fact that He is called the Sun of Righteousness in Malachi 4:2, and that Sunday is the Lord's Day.

Quote:

and anyway its loosely based on the teachings of Saul (The self-proclaimed Apostle, who never met the jesus),

Paul is the main thrust of the development of the theological Jesus, which in itself shoots down the not-too-rarely heard critic claim of no historical Jesus in his epistles, although Paul does describe some of Christ's history, such as the Last Supper (1 Corinthians 11:17-34), and other in-between bits of information upon which he builds, or rather from which he expounds his theology. This in itself could be used to point to a very early date for at least one of the gospels, though it could be due to his encounter with the apostles in Jerusalem. In my opinion, the latter is most likely, not only because it's unlikely that any of the gospels were written in the 50's, but due to linguistic inconsistencies. So, an answer to your assertion, although Christianity is quite indebted to Paul, not only spiritually, but in the spread of the early Church, it's inconsistent to believe that he was the sole founder. This is due to the fact that although his main thrust is almost always theological, it's not always spiritual (i.e. The resurrection of the dead relies on a physical Christ).

For this reason it's suggested that Paul "hijacked" Christianity from the apostles in Jerusalem and established "Pauline" Christianity turning it from a Jewish-oriented community, to a world religion as its aim. It seems to be about the most plausible theory skepticism has to offer, especially when the non-Pauline epistles seem to concentrate on the significance of works, whereas Paul focuses on the importance of faith. Acts does have a narrative where Peter explains to the other apostles that the Gentiles are to be also saved, however this part was written by Paul. However, for this theory to work there are many issues to be worked out. The gospels' Great Commission for one, the narrative of the Pentecost which was written by Luke, not Paul, and the numerous messages of salvation for all people by the biblical Jesus.

Quote:

sure you aren't even sure what Jesus name is (Iesus, Yeshua, Yeshu, Joshua, Yehoshua, Eesho, Eashoa etc etc)... or his title.

Jesus is the English one. Iesus is the Latin one. Yeshua/Yeshu is the Jewish version of the English Joshua. I don't really see what your point is. His titles are many, although also having been shared by others, the context is definitely different: Anointed One (Daniel 9:27), Sun of Righteousness (Malachi 4:2), servant (Isaiah 53), Messiah, Lord, God, king, King of kings, Lord of lords, etc.

Quote:

When you get that right maybe then you could start lecturing,

This isn't exactly breaking news for traditionalism...In fact, in my opinion, this skepticism falls lower than that of Acharya S, which is not good, though better than arguments of outrage, and a copy-pasted list of "God killed X, and Y was sad, and Z shot his mom," contradictions.

Quote:

but what are you gonna lecture him with.... hey the worlds only 6000 years old and Noah packed all the dinosaurs into the ark, which was a box,

Actually, today I watched a documentary by the history channel that has found ancient boats of those sizes; Greeks used them for carrying obelisks. The argument is that in 2X00 BC there wasn't the technology to make a boat 600ftx300ftx62ft to withstand the waves of a world-wide flood. I guess I'd have to go into it, although I've asked the dad of a friend of mine who has studied the matter and is in practice a shipbuilder, who told me that it would be possible, though it would be pointless (I was just expecting him to say, "Ah, you're thinking about Noah's Ark" any second).

Quote:
and God murdered the entire world in a childish whim (I think God needed his mummy there)....

Yeah, that sucked for them.

Quote:
blah blah blah or God made the earth before the sun,

Although I've read alot out of Hawking's, "Theory of Everything," and "Brief History of Time," and "Universe in a Nutshell," I'm fairly far away from being able to criticize the Big Bang. However, interestingly enough, the Inflationary Model, the current accepted beginning of the Big Bang theory, seems to depend upon a single philosophical proposition: that gravity is negative energy. This absurd notion is supported by the reasoning that it takes more energy to pull apart two particles in opposite directions due to gravity, resulting in the creation of matter.

Quote:
The matter in the universe is made out of positive energy. However, the matter is all attracting itself by gravity. Two pieces of matter that are close to each other have less energy than the same two pieces a long way apart. This is because you have to expend energy to separate them. You have to pull against the gravitational force attracting them together. Thus, in a sense, the gravitational field has negative energy. In the case of the whole universe, one can show that this negative gravitational energy exactly cancels the positive energy of the matter. So the total energy of the universe is zero.

(Stephen Hawking, The Theory of Everything, p.111)

Am I missing something, or does it take less energy to put two particles together as well due to gravity? And, by this theory, since distance weakens gravity, mass would also have to lessen in particles, which is not observed. Interestingly enough, Hawking states that "one can show" it.

Quote:
or how the sun circles the earth

It's funny how, when the Church was pressured to conform to the "science" of its day, it turned out to be false 1000 years later and is now blamed for "upholding" it. Reminds you of evolution today doesn't it.

Quote:
and how god makes the universe appear old just to test us into not believing the earth is 6000 years old ???

I used to believe that because I didn't know anything, but I wasn't even a true Christian back then.

Quote:

I see someone deleted the post, oh well........

I did, because it was pointless to answer, but your response is refreshing.
0 Replies

Foley

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 09:19 am
Cyracuz wrote:
Religion can be degenerative to the intellect of human beings, and the it goes against thinking for yourself...

You assume all religions function on the idea of set laws about the universe. Hinduism, Buddhism, and Taoism all are truly the exact opposite- the religion is a starting point from which you search for answers.

In that sense, I consider many religions to be an excellent way to develop your intellect and help you think for yourself. I think of it much like a science: This is what we think we know, but we still don't have all of our answers yet. It's true, all religions have traditions that go along with them, and while they may seem somewhat conservative, I think of them more as the culture the religion grew in rather than part of the religion itself. (ie, the caste system in Hinduism was originated by Aryans who invaded India. That is why I reject the idea- it wasn't from the religion itself, it just got worked in from the culture.)

Many religions hold a lot of truth- but they are often buried under things that have no place in religion. You have to dig to find the truth in it.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 10:41 am
rottie wrote:
Actually he didn't research this on his own; he simply watched a video, stole all of their facts and didn't leave a citation. Suggesting himself as the author.

Video

book marking this video, will watch later.
0 Replies

BDV

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 05:12 pm
123rock wrote:

You don't think I've questioned the Bible? Heck, I read 90% skeptic literature because most of what I find that "defends" Christianity out there is a big farce, and in the end many major points aren't addressed by apologetics. Every point that he has addressed has not only been addressed by traditionalists ten times for every grain of sand in this world, but I was kind of irritated to see it as the main argument. Usually it just accompanies as a lesser argument to a big argument, such as the problem of evil, or something like that.

Didn't really read his argument TBH, it lacked anything I don't already know, or have heard before, his arguments are really main stream high hitters, did Jesus die, did he go east, was the story copied from some other legend, etc etc (TBH still haven't read it). Well the fact is we weren't there (Well I hope not), so we don't know for sure, evidence is lacking from the romans (actually theres non but a partially gforged document - 7 Dissertations given by Josephus the jew), and basically anyone else who lived at the time.

123rock wrote:

The majority of allegations of biblical contradictions have been addressed. The Bible was compiled into a single book at the Council of Nicea in 325, but before then it certainly existed, and every copy we have since the apostolic age (earliest is mid-2nd century), as well as quotations from the Apostolic Fathers show a 98% textual similarity, with the 2%'s origins (or about 150,000 word variations) shown as variation such as from "Jesus Christ," to "Christ Jesus." No contextual variation in any sense. Sun worshipper? The only relationship between the sun and Jesus Christ is the fact that He is called the Sun of Righteousness in Malachi 4:2, and that Sunday is the Lord's Day.

Earliest copies of anything to do with the Bible if seriously looked at confirm its editing. The new testament should be looked at it with great caution. The Catholic church spent so much time destroying originals that there always seems to be something dodgey going on (they also had a habit of changing text to fit their purpose). The lack of pre-4th cent. evidence is worrying, (especially when bits are found that read something different from ours ( or turns out to be quite shorter than the versions we have today)), which points to add-ons and edits. Gospel of Mark is a good example, the shorter the version, the earlier it is:

The John Rylands Fragment

This papyrus fragment dates from about 125AD. It contains sections of John 18:31-33 and 37-38. It is the probably the earliest bit of the NT that we have and pushed the accepted composition date of John back considerably when it was published., still 90 years after Jesus' death.
The Gospel of the Ebionites seems to be based on the Gospel of Matthew, with the exception of the nativity part, which could lead to a lack of nativity in the early version of Matthew, (many people think that it was a late addition into Matthew, possibly at the council of nicea to represent the Sun God Mthras's birth which is very similiar. (Born of virgin in stable/cave, on 25th december, etc etc))

The Gospel of the Nazoraeans is another version of Matthew, like the Gospel of the Ebionites, only fragments remain, but what is interesting is that both where written in Aramaic, which you may know is Jesus' spoken language.

Even when you look at more modern prints, for example "the two-volume King James Bible that was printed by John Baskett in 1716-1717" got nicknamed "The Vinegar Bible" due to a misprint, it titles Luke 20 as "The Parable of the Vinegar" instead of "The Parable of the Vineyard", it also gets called "The Basket Full of Errors", showing a complete lack of care in its creation. So imagine that it was the only surviving version in a 1000 years time, you will the get "Holy Vinegar" churches!!

123rock wrote:
g
Paul is the main thrust of the development of the theological Jesus, which in itself shoots down the not-too-rarely heard critic claim of no historical Jesus in his epistles, although Paul does describe some of Christ's history, such as the Last Supper (1 Corinthians 11:17-34), and other in-between bits of information upon which he builds, or rather from which he expounds his theology. This in itself could be used to point to a very early date for at least one of the gospels, though it could be due to his encounter with the apostles in Jerusalem. In my opinion, the latter is most likely, not only because it's unlikely that any of the gospels were written in the 50's, but due to linguistic inconsistencies. So, an answer to your assertion, although Christianity is quite indebted to Paul, not only spiritually, but in the spread of the early Church, it's inconsistent to believe that he was the sole founder. This is due to the fact that although his main thrust is almost always theological, it's not always spiritual (i.e. The resurrection of the dead relies on a physical Christ).

For this reason it's suggested that Paul "hijacked" Christianity from the apostles in Jerusalem and established "Pauline" Christianity turning it from a Jewish-oriented community, to a world religion as its aim. It seems to be about the most plausible theory scepticism has to offer, especially when the non-Pauline epistles seem to concentrate on the significance of works, whereas Paul focuses on the importance of faith. Acts does have a narrative where Peter explains to the other apostles that the Gentiles are to be also saved, however this part was written by Paul. However, for this theory to work there are many issues to be worked out. The gospels' Great Commission for one, the narrative of the Pentecost which was written by Luke, not Paul, and the numerous messages of salvation for all people by the biblical Jesus.

Paul didn't hijack Christianity, as he wasn't a Christian, James the Just lead the Christians (Jesus brother, but not really his brother as Mary only had one kid and Joseph wasn't his father as god was etc etc), Paul led the Catholics, the catholics didn't steal the Christian name for quite a few hundred years later.
123rock wrote:

Jesus is the English one. Iesus is the Latin one. Yeshua/Yeshu is the Jewish version of the English Joshua. I don't really see what your point is. His titles are many, although also having been shared by others, the context is definitely different: Anointed One (Daniel 9:27), Sun of Righteousness (Malachi 4:2), servant (Isaiah 53), Messiah, Lord, God, king, King of kings, Lord of lords, etc.

The point is what is his true Aramaic name? what was he actually called, similar to the translated word "God" of the old testament, there are several words all translated to the one, and nobody actually knows what the true one is.
123rock wrote:

This isn't exactly breaking news for traditionalism...In fact, in my opinion, this skepticism falls lower than that of Acharya S, which is not good, though better than arguments of outrage, and a copy-pasted list of "God killed X, and Y was sad, and Z shot his mom," contradictions.

Most of that is old testament stuff, another story completely….

123rock wrote:

Actually, today I watched a documentary by the history channel that has found ancient boats of those sizes; Greeks used them for carrying obelisks. The argument is that in 2X00 BC there wasn't the technology to make a boat 600ftx300ftx62ft to withstand the waves of a world-wide flood. I guess I'd have to go into it, although I've asked the dad of a friend of mine who has studied the matter and is in practice a shipbuilder, who told me that it would be possible, though it would be pointless (I was just expecting him to say, "Ah, you're thinking about Noah's Ark" any second).

Flood, not even worth getting into a serious debate about, there's always floods, many many traditions have them, if u look at alternative non-biblical text then you even get different Christian versions. Was there a flood, probably, there was a flood here last year, but I doubt God had anything to do with it.
Quote:
Gilgamesh Epic
In Gilgamesh's journey, he met Utnapishtim. The elderly Utnapishtim told Gilgamesh the story of the flood. Warned by a god, Utnapishtim had made an ark and sealed it with pitch. Then he made his family go in and he shut the door.

Utnapishtim's story says it rained six days; the water rose only to the roofs of the houses. After the waters receded, the Utnapishtim story described him releasing a dove, a sparrow and a crow.

123rock wrote:

Yeah, that sucked for them.

Indeed it did
123rock wrote:

Although I've read alot out of Hawking's, "Theory of Everything," and "Brief History of Time," and "Universe in a Nutshell," I'm fairly far away from being able to criticize the Big Bang. However, interestingly enough, the Inflationary Model, the current accepted beginning of the Big Bang theory, seems to depend upon a single philosophical proposition: that gravity is negative energy. This absurd notion is supported by the reasoning that it takes more energy to pull apart two particles in opposite directions due to gravity, resulting in the creation of matter.

Hawking's is a smart guy, but also lacks adjustability in his theories, the chances of the weak gravity that was created to slow the universe down is zillions to 1 alone (As far as I believe, something I need to read about more I think).

123rock wrote:

Am I missing something, or does it take less energy to put two particles together as well due to gravity? And, by this theory, since distance weakens gravity, mass would also have to lessen in particles, which is not observed. Interestingly enough, Hawking states that "one can show" it.

What about quantum physics, all things are created from nothing, unless observed, so the universe is nothing.
123rock wrote:

It's funny how, when the Church was pressured to conform to the "science" of its day, it turned out to be false 1000 years later and is now blamed for "upholding" it. Reminds you of evolution today doesn't it.

There's still flat world societies……
123rock wrote:

I used to believe that because I didn't know anything, but I wasn't even a true Christian back then.

Whats a true Christian, one mans true Christian is another mans devil.
123rock wrote:

I did, because it was pointless to answer, but your response is refreshing.

Cheers
0 Replies

123rock

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 08:14 pm
BDV wrote:
Well the fact is we weren't there (Well I hope not), so we don't know for sure, evidence is lacking from the romans (actually theres non but a partially gforged document - 7 Dissertations given by Josephus the jew), and basically anyone else who lived at the time.

If you're talking about the historicity of Jesus, then Josephus and Tacitus would be about the only few extrabiblical references in the Apostolic age. Josephus has been validated as a non-forgery. (See here). As for Tacitus, I haven't exactly read much about it. It's definitely a non-forgery in the Annals, but it's unlikely that he met witnesses.

Quote:

Earliest copies of anything to do with the Bible if seriously looked at confirm its editing.

Ummm. Do I have to pull the 5,000 + Greek manuscripts? I can cite you at least 20 right off the bat if you want.

Quote:

The new testament should be looked at it with great caution. The Catholic church spent so much time destroying originals that there always seems to be something dodgey going on (they also had a habit of changing text to fit their purpose). The lack of pre-4th cent. evidence is worrying, (especially when bits are found that read something different from ours ( or turns out to be quite shorter than the versions we have today)), which points to add-ons and edits

Lack of pre 4th century evidence?? Are you serious? Clement, Ignatius, Justin Martyr, Papias, Irenaeus, Greek manuscripts?

Quote:

Gospel of Mark is a good example, the shorter the version, the earlier it is

Yes, the Mark 16:9-20 verses are known later additions. Your point? Does it change context? It would be different to find a Gospel of Mark from 156 AD stating that Mary Magdalene was a co-goddess with Jesus.

Quote:

The John Rylands Fragment

This papyrus fragment dates from about 125AD. It contains sections of John 18:31-33 and 37-38. It is the probably the earliest bit of the NT that we have and pushed the accepted composition date of John back considerably when it was published., still 90 years after Jesus' death.

We have evidence of the Gospels' existence and content before that, as early as Clement in the 90's.

Quote:

The Gospel of the Ebionites seems to be based on the Gospel of Matthew, with the exception of the nativity part, which could lead to a lack of nativity in the early version of Matthew, (many people think that it was a late addition into Matthew, possibly at the council of nicea to represent the Sun God Mthras's birth which is very similiar. (Born of virgin in stable/cave, on 25th december, etc etc))

Maybe if you would be kind enough to do research before you post, you'd know that the earliest sources for Mithra with the alleged miracles and history is from the 3rd century CE, from only one source.

Quote:

The Gospel of the Nazoraeans is another version of Matthew, like the Gospel of the Ebionites, only fragments remain, but what is interesting is that both where written in Aramaic, which you may know is Jesus' spoken language.

Papias claims that the Gospel of Matthew was written originally in Aramaic. Problems are abound, nevertheless with that.

Quote:

Even when you look at more modern prints, for example "the two-volume King James Bible that was printed by John Baskett in 1716-1717" got nicknamed "The Vinegar Bible" due to a misprint, it titles Luke 20 as "The Parable of the Vinegar" instead of "The Parable of the Vineyard", it also gets called "The Basket Full of Errors", showing a complete lack of care in its creation. So imagine that it was the only surviving version in a 1000 years time, you will the get "Holy Vinegar" churches!!

Yet, we don't have to imagine! We have the early Greek manuscripts!

Quote:
Paul didn't hijack Christianity, as he wasn't a Christian, James the Just lead the Christians (Jesus brother, but not really his brother as Mary only had one kid and Joseph wasn't his father as god was etc etc), Paul led the Catholics, the catholics didn't steal the Christian name for quite a few hundred years later.

Paul and Catholicism? Please provide evidence that he wasn't Christian, especially when his salvation by faith alone is so anti-Catholic.

Quote:

The point is what is his true Aramaic name? what was he actually called, similar to the translated word "God" of the old testament, there are several words all translated to the one, and nobody actually knows what the true one is.

The Bible informs us that His birthname was Emanuel. Jesus is the English of Yeshua. How would we know something so specific from extrabiblical sources when we have so little?

Quote:

Flood, not even worth getting into a serious debate about, there's always floods, many many traditions have them, if u look at alternative non-biblical text then you even get different Christian versions. Was there a flood, probably, there was a flood here last year, but I doubt God had anything to do with it.

Yes, but these were all parallels to the biblical flood. It's similar to having extrabiblical sources passed down by oral tradition.

Quote:

What about quantum physics, all things are created from nothing, unless observed, so the universe is nothing.

It's not out of nothing per se. It's that a particle and anti-particle are created simultaneously. In the case where a positive influx of matter/energy may be observed is if this happens on the event horizon, causing the anti-particle to spin into the black hole, whereas the particle goes into outer space. This is known as Hawking radiation.

Quote:

There's still flat world societies……

I hope this isn't an allusion to the uneducated claim that Christians believed that the world was flat. Not only does Jesus express it's round (Matthew 12:39), but St.Thomas Aquinas, writing in the 13th century states it as a fact.

Quote:

Whats a true Christian, one mans true Christian is another mans devil.

Romans 10:9
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 08:51 pm
Chai wrote:
rottie wrote:

Video

book marking this video, will watch later.
Did you ever drink Moxie, Chai. They still make it, you know. So you won't be dating yourself. :wink:
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 08:53 pm
123rock wrote:
. . . I hope this isn't an allusion to the uneducated claim that Christians believed that the world was flat. Not only does Jesus express it's round (Matthew 12:39), but St.Thomas Aquinas, writing in the 13th century states it as a fact. . .
Matthew 12: 39?
0 Replies

123rock

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 08:59 pm
neologist wrote:
Matthew 12: 39?

Never mind, Matthew 12:40: "For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth."
0 Replies