Best way to take notes?

sozobe

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 03:57 pm
Still not working, unfortunately. (If I do cntrl + click right after I copy and paste, nothing else, nope... if I highlight the link, then cntrl + click, nope.)

I do get the menu, but "make link" isn't an option there.

I have OS X 10.3.9, maybe you have something more recent and that's the difference?
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 04:42 pm
Are you doing cntrl + click or apple + click? Most contextual menus use apple + click, but this one is cntrl + click.

I am running 10.4... but I don't think that should matter.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 05:10 pm
cntrl + click.

I tried apple + click also, but neither have worked yet.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 05:10 pm
Or if you use excel, you can copy/paste the link from the website into it's own cell (and use the other cells in the same row to type up your notes, date the site was visited, time spent on the site, etc.?).

I tried it and copied the URL for this thread into a cell. It looked like plain text at first . Then I left the cell (clicked elsewhere) and double-clicked on the cell again and the link became active so that now when I click into that cell anytime, it immediately goes to the website.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 05:20 pm
That does sound cool, Heeven. If I wasn't switching back and forth so much I think I'd like it a lot, but it sounds like it would present the same problems as I'm currently having with Word. What I like about Stickies is that they're nice and inconspicuous, just lurk in the top left corner, and open instantly.

Just triple-checked my methods on TextEdit, jpin, still couldn't make it work.

It does seem to make a slight difference if I use apple + c and apple + v to copy and paste vs. selecting the url, clicking on "edit," and selecting "copy," then going to the TextEdit doc, clicking on "edit," and clicking on "paste." In the latter version, control + click does something (brings up the menu with Cut Copy Paste spelling font speech writing direction), whereas if I use the apple + c version, I have to do control + apple + click to get the menu.

But no "make link" on any of those menus.

Sigh.

If any of the above ignites a Eureka moment, let me know, otherwise I'm happy enough with my current method and don't want to take up too much of your time on this. Thanks though!
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 08:57 am
And you tried highlighting the text after you paste it, yes?

Perhaps having 10.3 does make a difference.

Do you at least have the link option under the Format menu?

Format > Text > Link...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 09:06 am
I do not. Format > Text > [the following menu]

Align left
Center
Justify
Align right
Writing direction
Show ruler
Copy ruler
Paste ruler

Thassit.

And yes, tried hightlighting the text after I pasted it. Again, pulled up A menu without much problem, just didn't seem to be the right menu (no "make link" or "link" options).

I hope to get OS upgrade soon, will let you know if that makes a difference.

Thanks again for your patience and willingness to help!
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 09:09 am
I think you'll find 10.4 to be a worthy upgrade.

Until then, I found this: http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/21977

It is free and very similar to textedit. It works in 10.3 and is giving me the Make link option in the contextual menu. Hopefully it should do the same in 10.3
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 09:16 am
Fab!!

It worked, thanks.
0 Replies