Best way to take notes?

sozobe

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 01:42 pm
I need to take notes for my job. I have a Word document on my desktop and open it up everytime I want to make a note. It works OK, but it's kind of awkward. I've been thinking there must be an easier/ more elegant way to do it.

I have a Mac.

I've never used "stickies," will look into that.

Even Text Edit might be better (I don't need to format anything, hotlinking is about it [being able to click on an url].)

OK I just started playing around with stickies and that might be perfect. They're small, easy to access, don't have a bunch of extra stuff. One problem is that they don't seem to allow links.

Still posting this in case there's something even better, or something obvious that I'm overlooking.

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,741 • Replies: 28
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 01:51 pm
I like stickies myself - just recently found that this Mac has them; I used to use them a lot on my old Mac. I do remember there was a space limit per sticky - don't know if that is listed anywhere.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 02:01 pm
Have you tried this technological solution?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/northernireland/yourplaceandmine/images/helpabout/copywrite_250_145.jpg
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 02:02 pm
what version is that?
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 02:02 pm
Not sure what you are taking notes of but my job is enormously multi-tasking for a dozen clients. I have so much stuff going on at one time that I had to set up an excel spreadsheet, with a separate tab for each client, and then keep a running list of the "to do"s for each, with a note section and a marker for "urgent", "pending", or "complete".

It's the only way I can manage my time, not let anything fall through the cracks, and get things done.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 02:14 pm
ebrown, it's a ton of copying and pasting, so some sort of computer program makes the most sense.

Basically, I do two things. One is keep track of my work on the site in question, as there isn't currently an automatic way to do so. I keep track so I can go back and see if there is anything new after I submit, and for my timesheets (what I did, how much time I spent on it, etc.)

That's almost all urls (copied and pasted) with a short text description.

I also do a lot of online research, and make notes on things I want to come back to.

Except for the notes, my work is all online.

Stickies are perfect except for the non-hotlinking part. I tried to export as RTF (rich text format?) and RTFD, neither seemed to yield clickable urls.

I can copy and paste the urls of course but being able to just click is nice. I have tabs, and I frequently click a whole run of them (from Word) and then go through and check and close each one as I'm done.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 02:26 pm
Hmm, this is a little ugly but could work.

Use stickies to take notes throughout the day.

When I want to do my review (go back and check on things by clicking on urls of where I've been), copy from the stickie, paste into Word. Word automatically converts the urls.

Worth a try.

Has to be a simpler way...
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 03:14 pm
This might not be what you're looking for, but there's a wonderful program I use called VoodooPad that allows you to link sections of notes with other sections as you see fit. There are various versions with varying degrees of features, including versions that can be downloaded for free. The version I use is VoodooPad Lite, which suits my note-taking tasks perfectly.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2007 05:00 pm
Best way to take notes?
What are "stickies"?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2007 05:05 pm
Thanks shapeless!

TomKitten, "Stickies" is a program for Mac that opens little windows that look just like if you took a post-it note and stuck in on your computer screen. You can make them different colors -- yellow, pink, blue, etc. You can type whatever in them.

My new system is working quite well, I'm happy with it. I take the day's notes in a stickie (I haven't run up against a word limit yet -- you can stretch them out or else leave them standard sized and just scroll), then at the end of the day select all, copy, and paste into the Word document with my weekly activities. When I click "return" after each line that has an url in the Word document, it becomes a hotlink, so can just click away from there to revisit things that I've done over the past week. (And save each week's work to go back further if I need to.)
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2007 05:11 pm
How about writing e-mails to yourself and putting them into a "notes" folder? Most e-mail editors hotlink nowadays.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2007 05:13 pm
Hey... good idea.

I'm happy with the stickies thing for now but may switch over to that at some point. One less step.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2007 06:34 pm
Best way to take notes?
Thanks, Sozobe - I wonder if there's an equivalent for PCs?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 04:49 am
Sure there is. Both Outlook and Outlook Express have Notes. http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r299/jespah301/NotesSample.jpg
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 12:09 pm
Best way to take notes?
I don't use Outlook Or Outlook Express; I use Firefox. Maybe they have some equivalent, or maybe Yahoo Widgets have something similar.

Com to think of it,I did have a Post-It kind of thing some years ago, but lost track of it when I got a new computer. I may be able to track it down via A2K where there was a short discussion about it.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 12:42 pm
Textedit works good, soz. A small quick program that allows hotlinking. It would save you the trouble of copy/pasting.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 12:47 pm
I tried Textedit, it didn't seem to do hotlinking.

As in, if I paste this:

www.able2know.com

Into Textedit, it will just sit there, it won't convert to a hotlink.

If I paste "www.able2know.com" into Word, then hit "return," it becomes hotlinked -- if I then copy that hotlinked url and paste it into Textedit (or Stickies), it remains hotlinked.

But I can't find the way to copy an url from the address bar and make it hotlinked in Textedit or Stickies. I believe there's a way but I haven't found it yet.

How do you do it?
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 01:37 pm
Ah... you are right.

Once you paste, you either have to right click (two button mouse) or cntrl + click on it (one button mouse) to make it a link. It brings up a contextual menu with a "Make Link" option.

Still might be faster than copy pasting, but not ideal. I noticed you can do the same thing using sticky notes
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 02:42 pm
Sounds promising, couldn't get the "make link" option though. I do get a menu, but "make link" isn't on it. Just spelling, cut, copy, paste, font, etc. (No "make link.")
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 03:22 pm
You have to do it right after you copy paste (ie. no typing anymore characters). Alternatively, you can highlight the link and then do the right click/ cntrl + click and that should give you the make link option.
0 Replies