New York Does Not Make "Wine"

cjhsa

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 10:53 am
So I've been enjoying a glass of port before bed lately. I've tried real ones from Portugal, others from Australia and California - and all have been pretty good (even the cheap ones). Then I mistakenly grabbed one from upstate NY.

OMFG it's not wine. At least not by any stretch of the imagination in the last five hundred years of winemaking. They literally took Welch's grape juice and kicked it up with potstill brandy, and labeled it "port". I might as well have bought some Mad Dog 20-20, or Ripple.

GROSS! NY should be ashamed of itself to allow anyone to associated with its industry to allow such plonk to be marketed with its name on it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 789 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 10:59 am
Port (aka Vinho do Porto, Oporto, Porto) btw, is a sweet Portuguese fortified wine from the Douro Valley, Porto district, Portugal.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 11:05 am
As I said....

Here comes da german food critic to dump on my thread.

If you knew anything about wine, or port, or food and drink in general, you'd know that "port" is made all over the world. Australia produces some excellent versions. True "Port" is from Portugal, as I noted.

It sure isn't from NY.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 11:07 am
I've had good NY wine in the past, but over the last decade or so the NY grape growers have been hit with every fungus imaginable. The climate here has gone to extremes, very warm humid days followed by cold nights - that is what fungus loves. There has also been a plague of very late frosts. Many of the really good, mostly smaller, vineyards went out of business and that left the big commerical/industrial wineries to do all the producing. In fact, most of the grapes are coming from other areas of the country because of how difficult it is to produce a decent grape crop without spraying constantly. I think most of the existing wineries are just making a living off the tourists now.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 11:08 am
France has some lock on the name "Champagne" but that doesn't stop them from investing all over the world, and buying up (and jacking up the price) of prime vineyard land to produce "sparkling wine".
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 11:14 am
Anyway, I had my usual beer after work, then a glass of red wine with dinner. Then I opened the plonk.... one small serving was all I had - I forced myself to finish it to forever impale the horribleness of it all on my memory and never, ever buy it again.

Today I feel like I was out partying with Britney and Paris all night, except without the itchy scratchy down below part.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 11:14 am
If you want to try a good NY alcoholic beverage, I suggest you find some hard cider (apple jack) or a number of the local micro-brewed beers.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 11:23 am
cjhsa wrote:
As I said....

Here comes da german food critic to dump on my thread.

If you knew anything about wine, or port, or food and drink in general, you'd know that "port" is made all over the world. Australia produces some excellent versions. True "Port" is from Portugal, as I noted.

It sure isn't from NY.

Under international trademark law, only the product from Portugal may be labeled as Port.
I admit that US-federal law only mandates that the Portuguese-made product be labeled Porto or Vinho do Porto.

This has only little to do with knowing something about wine (our family only had a wine import firm and wine shop) so my knowledge certainly isn't as good as yours) but with law.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 12:36 pm
So what do you call the Aussie port in Germany? Or do they just not sell it there?

Is there a trademark on biere?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 12:40 pm
I don't care if it is called Port, port, porto, porto fino, whatever, but if it tastes like port-o-potty then I'm gonna call foul.
0 Replies