Atheist for an hour

George

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 12:30 pm
Chai wrote:
tycoon wrote:
Damned right it's hard work, and downright scary at times. That's why I'm convinced the majority of theists possess an unexamined faith.

Well, yeah...that goes without saying.

Yet oh so often goes with saying...
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 03:07 pm
Chai wrote:
I didn't see Eorl specifically addressing Christians real life.

Could it be he was including others besides you?

As a Christian, I can only speak from that perspective.

I'll let others speak for themselves if they are not Christians.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 03:42 pm
George, thanks for the honesty of your original post.

real life, at what age did you first adopt theism, if I may ask?

Fresco is probably right to a degree, but an intelligent person is capable of suspension of disbelief (or in this case, belief) in order to enjoy a film or an intellectual exercise such as this.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 04:16 pm
real life wrote:
Chai wrote:

that's total bull. why are you limiting yourself so? clearly you can see things from another perspective, we all do it multiple times daily.

what a cop out. admit it, you just don't WANT to see anything from another perspective. that being the case, there was no sense in you joining this conversation.

and....why are you addressing this only to me, when many others have said the same essential thing? do I look like the biggest pushover?
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 05:08 pm
Chai

Maybe he's a coconut with a deathwish... :wink:

real life has, as far as I am concerned, the most ironic nickname ever, considering the thoughts most often expressed...
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 05:47 pm
Eorl,

You mention "intelligence".....two points.

On the "atheists are more intelligent" I suggest that the ability for"self scrutiny" is a possible factor in the reported correlation.

Also it is not the case that "belief" and "disbelief" are symmetrical or equivalent cognitive states re your "suspension scenario". This is the fallacy of so-called "agnostics" like Frank Apisa. Such people tend to be naive realists who assume "knowledge" and "belief" are qualitatively different with respect to "reality" whereas in essence they differ only in the matter of "confidence levels". A phrase from the burial service serves to illustrate the idiosyncratic confidence levels involved with those who are "religious".

Quote:
....we therefore commit this body to the ground in sure and certain hope of resurrection to eternal life.....
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 05:48 pm
I disagree with practically everything real life says, but I do try not to attack him personally. He is clearly an intelligent and passionate debater, and knows his stuff. He's more than capable of sticking up for himself, but still...it's more fun attacking the philosophy than the philosopher.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 06:00 pm
Eorl wrote:
I disagree with practically everything real life says, but I do try not to attack him personally. He is clearly an intelligent and passionate debater, and knows his stuff. He's more than capable of sticking up for himself, but still...it's more fun attacking the philosophy than the philosopher.

What you see as an attack is what I see as calling someone on what they mean exactly.

Too many times someone says something with a tone of authority (or not) and others follow and agree like sheep.

A clearly intelligent person obviously doesn't think they can't see something from another position. They bank on the fact people will just say "oh yeah, you're right".
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 06:02 pm
Chai wrote:
Eorl wrote:

What you see as an attack is what I see as calling someone on what they mean exactly.

Too many times someone says something with a tone of authority (or not) and others follow and agree like sheep.

A clearly intelligent person obviously doesn't think they can't see something from another position. They bank on the fact people will just say "oh yeah, you're right".

oh yeah, you're right.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 06:04 pm
I rest my case.

anyway, I don't clearly know real life is an intelligent person, I rarely read this area.

Am I supposed to believe he is because someone says so?
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 08:02 pm
No, Chai.

It's just my knee jerk reaction to defend the underdog. Probably wasn't really necessary.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 04:13 am
Chai wrote:
real life wrote:
Chai wrote:

that's total bull. why are you limiting yourself so? clearly you can see things from another perspective, we all do it multiple times daily.

what a cop out. admit it, you just don't WANT to see anything from another perspective. that being the case, there was no sense in you joining this conversation.

and....why are you addressing this only to me, when many others have said the same essential thing? do I look like the biggest pushover?

Hi Chai,

I was addressing you because you asked me a question. Sorry if that is considered bad form.

Eorl asked for each persons perspective, so what's wrong with letting others speak for themselves?

Yes, I may think I know what they would say, but I thought it better to let them say it.

I hardly thought I was adopting a 'tone of authority' by saying 'let others speak for themselves'...............................

...............would it also be adopting a 'tone of authority' if I had said, 'I will tell you what others think about this' ?

In that case, it looks like nothing I could have said would have pleased you.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 07:19 am
real life wrote:

As if on cue, real life goes into the next step, "condescending mode"

Or I suppose, seeing it from your perspective, that's what it looks like.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 10:20 am
Chai wrote:
real life wrote:

As if on cue, real life goes into the next step, "condescending mode"

Or I suppose, seeing it from your perspective, that's what it looks like.

Gee, Chai, can I recommend a place where you can buy a sense of humor? Lighten up.

Do I have to use smilies so that you know when I'm ribbing you? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Very Happy

Don't be so serious. I'm just a harmless, lovable little fuzzball. Cool
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 10:41 am
wow, right on time...

3rd stage:

cover up...."Gosh, I was JUST kidding. Some people just CAN'T take a JOKE".
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 12:23 pm
Now, Chai......

Why did you have to go and prove me right, when I said there was no way to please you? Laughing

And if you really didn't want an answer to your original question, why did you direct a question to me?

Be sure to answer right back and find fault.

Or maybe we should wait and talk again in a week or so. Very Happy
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 12:36 pm
Would there be some reason for us to talk in a week or two?

I don't see any.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 12:54 pm
Perhaps it would have been better had you thought of that before you asked me a question, and then complained when I responded to it. Laughing

Hope you're doing better next week, Chai.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 01:32 pm
Quote:
Or maybe we should wait and talk again in a week or so.

That's just discrimination Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 05:20 pm
Meanwhile, it seems as though fresco was right. Nobody is actually prepared to try this?
0 Replies