Hot Crab and Artichoke Dip, for the Cookbook

JerryR

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 12:32 pm
Hot Crab and Artichoke Dip

2 cups crab meat
2 14oz cans of artichoke hearts (not marinated) chopped and well drained.
2/3 cup capers, drained
1 cup chopped scallion
3 tbls. fresh dill, minced
3 tbls. garlic, minced
1 cup cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup sourcream
1/2 cup mayonaise
1 cup shredded white cheddar cheese
1 cup shredded monterey jack
1 cup shredded parmesan
Old Bay seasoning, to taste
Salt and Pepper, to taste

Heat oven to 375 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, mix all of the ingredients well, taste and season as necessary. Place the mixture into a baking dish, and bake until hot, and the cheese has melted and begun to bubble. Serve with you favorite crackers, crostini or bread. Serves nicely in a hollowed out loaf of peasant bread.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,690 • Replies: 11
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 03:51 pm
Gawd, this looks amazin'.
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 04:29 pm
It's good,...ask quinn,..she tried it! Very Happy
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 04:42 pm
Jerry, this sounds wonderful! I will definitely try it! Do you have your own personal recipe for bruschetta? I could live off that stuff! Make my own pretty well, but just wondering if you do, too.....
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 05:06 pm
Hi Rae,

How've you been??

Bruschetta is one of those really versatile, universally liked foods.
I use it in some way, at almost every party I do.

This past week I did a series of dinners on my boss' sail boat, 20 people each night. The crab dip was my bruschetta, as I served it on toasts rubbed with garlic and olive oil.

At times I'll serve it with caramelized onions and goat cheese, or roasted sun-dried tomatoes and goat cheese, or a roasted garlic and basil pesto with good parmesan. You can do almost anything, and it'd be delish!!

I love seeing where food comes from, and how it changes as we adapt it into our culture. In Italy, if you ordered bruchetta you'd get a plate of toasted (or more likely grilled) bread slices, rubbed with garlic and drizzled with olive oil and salt. Simple and delicious. We've added the toppings,..it's still delicious,..just different. I guess it's the same as when we travel to other countries and try to get foods familiar to us,..their always just a little different.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 05:16 pm
Doing good, Jerry ~ thanks for asking ~ hope this finds you well and happy!

I understand the concept of bruschetta ~ the bread. Guess I was more hoping for your favorite topping recipe. My recipe contains a list a mile long.....and I add/change it every time I make the stuff.

Which is mostly vegetables, spices and oil ~ macadamia nut oil is turning out to be a favourite of mine.....yummy!
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 05:25 pm
Hi Rae,

I wasn't thinking that you didn't know what it was. Shocked
Just used to explaining everything, to my clients and workers. Very Happy

Probably my favorite thing to put on them would be roasted mushrooms (roasted in olive oil, with garlic, a little rosemary, lots of pepper and a bit of salt) and some grated smoked gouda (or smoked mozzarella) spread on the toasts and broiled to melt the cheese,...mmmm.
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 05:26 pm
What do you serve with the macadamia nut oil?
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 05:29 pm
Sorry ~ didn't mean to imply that you thought I didn't know what bruschetta was ~ honest. Swear. Cross my heart and hope to die.

The shroom/cheese idea sounds mouth-watering!

Wish I could afford to hire you as my personal chef!
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 05:31 pm
Came across a recipe for salmon filets encrusted with macadamia nuts ~ and it was recommended to use the oil with the salmon.

It's quite tasty.
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 05:34 pm
I've had salmon crusted in macadamia,..it was wonderful. I worked with a chef who crusted salmon with chopped pistachio nuts,..delicious!!
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 05:36 pm
My favourite salmon dish was prepared by our now ex-chef for Valentines Day. It involved a strawberry sauce over the macadamia nuts.....ohmygawd.....

Why am I suddenly hungry? :wink:
0 Replies