Free will .......

neologist

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2007 10:25 am
It is true that many create anthropomorphic gods. That, in itself is not proof that a true God does not exist.

The reason I asked the question was to establish the assertion that free will could not be granted by one who is lacking in free will.

Whether God exists and whether we have free will are different questions.

Since the thread topic is free will, I will state my belief that we do have free will subject to our human limitations.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2007 10:39 am
Granted. (cutting to the chase now)
Wouldn't free will include the will to create a god or gods? Conditional is not free and yes we have the ability.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2007 07:58 pm
I think I just answered in the affirmative.

But what do you mean that conditional is not free? Should we not be bound by the laws of physics, for example?
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2007 10:28 pm
In free will humans could do every thing a god can do, even creation else it (free will) would be conditional, not free..
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2007 11:03 pm
Gelisgesti wrote:
In free will humans could do every thing a god can do, even creation else it (free will) would be conditional, not free..
Would that be a deal breaker, really?

Would you feel cheated?
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 06:01 am
Re: Free will .......
It would appear that I have diverged from my original question which was ...

Gelisgesti wrote:
How can 'free will' be anything but an oxymoron if one is denied full knowledge of all available choices?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 08:45 am
Re: Free will .......
Gelisgesti wrote:
It would appear that I have diverged from my original question which was ...

Gelisgesti wrote:
How can 'free will' be anything but an oxymoron if one is denied full knowledge of all available choices?
Stuff like that happens.

But the thread has not strayed far. After all, there is a difference between possessing a menu and having the ability to order.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 10:09 am
Would you feel comfortable ordering the puffer fish platter at a mom and pop resturant if it came with a pbj? (just trying to flesh out your analogy) Smile
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 10:20 am
Gels, You´re not the only one with a ¨huh?¨ response to neo´s last post.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 11:37 am
Bad analogy? OK, what if I just say knowing all the available choices does not mean all are equally attainable. I might have a choice to take a vacation to South America, but if I chose it, I would not have time to compete for the world watermelon seed spitting championship.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 09:34 pm
I don't know man .... that is a whole lot of profundity to dump on someone then just book ..... Confused

We begin life as DNA strands. Where between there and death do we acquire free will?
0 Replies