Free will .......

Gelisgesti

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 11:25 am
Nothing to be sorry about ..... feel free to exercise your free will on any of my threads .... holy sh!t, did I just grant you free will .... hafta think about this Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 04:23 pm
Right now I'm thinking that it's kind of paradoxical to cherish free will when we all seek commitment and obligation to confirm the value of our existence...
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 04:55 pm
more the 'nature' of existence ... again, what are the fruits of free will
0 Replies

Foley

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 05:01 pm
Cyracuz wrote:
Right now I'm thinking that it's kind of paradoxical to cherish free will when we all seek commitment and obligation to confirm the value of our existence...

Perhaps our free will is simply that we want to be able to choose where our obligations are.
0 Replies

pswfps

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 06:53 am
But why would we "want" something? It implies that there is something not to our liking presently and that we can conceive of a better future situation.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 07:08 am
Not neccesarily better. Different. Some people just want hurt. Self destructiveness is surprisingly common.

I've been wondering if it is a different future situation we are aiming towards, or if it's just this moment we cannot stand...
0 Replies

pswfps

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 07:15 am
Ok, but if they want hurt then they must perceive hurt as desirable. You may not see it as desirable, but isn't that to impose your view on another?

Quote:
I've been wondering if it is a different future situation we are aiming towards, or if it's just this moment we cannot stand...

Awe, LOL! You don't mean that. Relative terms though. Not liking the present may make an expected future moment desirable.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 07:58 am
or is free will simply a religious metaphorical red herring constructed to avert attention from a sinister truth? Like the crucifixion of an immortal ....
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 08:05 am
pswfps wrote:
Not liking the present may make an expected future moment desirable.

The difference is that while some of us envision where we want to be and then work towards it, others try to escape their unbearable existence and run blindly into the future thinking that anything is better than what is now.

Gelisgesti wrote:
or is free will simply a religious metaphorical red herring constructed to avert attention from a sinister truth? Like the crucifixion of an immortal ....

Has that ever happened?

But now that you mention it, did the notion of free will exist before christianity started using it as an advertisment to the religion?
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 08:11 am
Hellloo .... Easter ring a bell? Shocked Surprised
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 08:30 am
Hmm.. If you believe that story...
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 10:43 am
Cyracuz wrote:
But now that you mention it, did the notion of free will exist before christianity started using it as an advertisment to the religion?

Although the technical answer to your question is 'No' because the religion that is currently known as Christianity actually began with God's revelation of Himself to Adam (Christianity is nothing more than the continuation of God's relationship with man from Adam to the present time) ----------

-------it might give some perspective to note that for thousands of years, societies have all been built on the presupposition that man has free will , and thus is responsible for his own actions.

So yes, the notion of free will existed long before the period of time now known as the 'Christian era' (AD or CE) began.
0 Replies

pswfps

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 10:51 am
Gelisgesti wrote:

Amazing; I was just considering free-will in terms of the enforced purchase of choccy eggs and flowers. Very Happy
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2007 07:29 am
pswfps wrote:
Gelisgesti wrote:

Amazing; I was just considering free-will in terms of the enforced purchase of choccy eggs and flowers. Very Happy

Don't forget the ritualistic 'hiding of the sacred rabbit eggs' Cool
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2007 05:41 pm
If we have free will, would you think it axiomatic that the God who created us must also have free will?
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2007 11:01 pm
I would think that you must have free will to create a god
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2007 11:50 pm
Clever, but not an answer
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2007 06:25 am
Was not being clever, my answer is my belief.
My turn .... by what method did god create man? A snap of the finger, a blink of an eye, recombinant DNA? What is the current recipe for a man?What is the current recipe for a god?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2007 09:49 am
I am aware of your belief. The question began with the word if.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2007 10:08 am
Your question also made the assumption that god created man.
Continuing with that assumption, how did god create man?
0 Replies