What Condition my Air Conditioning is In

Letty

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 08:26 am
Of all times, it would appear that my air conditioner is on the fritz. The last time this happened, the repairman said that I would need a new one, buuuuttttttt, I'm skeptical. The outdoor unit is working, but the fan is not.
I have a thermostat that operates with mercury switches. The unit inside the garage was frozen up last time, and the repairman cut the heat on to take care of that. Anyone have any suggestions? I simply don't think I need a new one.

getting warmer .....from Letty in Florida.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,961 • Replies: 14
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 08:29 am
A new motor will get the fan going. Where I live the air conditioner is twenty years old (Carrier) and it is fine. Get a second opinion if you doubt what you are being told, please.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 08:39 am
Thanks, edgar. Not to worry. I am going to get a second opinion. I do think that it's frozen up again.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 08:43 am
If the lines or the coils freeze up with ice there are more than one reason. Most often in my experience it is caused by the leaking out of too much freon.
If the fan is not turning outside you must turn it off to avoid burning out the compressor. It gets too hot without the fan
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 09:31 am
The fan is working on the outside unit. I do have an emergency number that I can call should things worsen. Incidentally, my unit is a Carrier, also. Once again, Edgar, thank you.
0 Replies

morganwood

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 11:27 pm
Air conditioning repairmen and furnace repair guys are notorious for "You need a new unit." I saw a recent news story in which they put a small broken part on an AC unit andf called 20 shops. 17 told the person the unit needed to be replaced.

My real suggestion is to move north! The tennessee summer has finally gotten to me and that's what I'm doing!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 07:22 am
Hey, Morganwood. I moved from Virginia to get out of the cold weather in winter. Smile You and I both know that West Virginia is nature's air conditioned state, but Virginia can be just as hot as Florida in the summer.
Well, I got my garage unit replaced. The MAN called it an air handler. Had to do something. Edgar suggested that I get a second opinion, and I did.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 07:26 am
Letty can go back to being cool again - not that she stopped being even for one mo ....
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 07:32 am
Gautam, I never thought bankers were cool, but you're one big exception to the rule. Cool
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 07:35 am
Letty dahling, allow me to complete....

Gautam, I never thought bankers were cool
but you're one big exception to the rule
Is that because you are gay ?
pardon me, but what a big loss I must say,
Cause you make all A2K ladies drool !!

(I have delusions of Grandeur)
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 07:39 am
Very Happy Smile Laughing Just glad you're not in waste management.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 09:03 am
Now Letty honey, you live not far from that Space Center, right. Now why don't you do what that very nice Tom Hanks did, he called Nasa and said " Hello Houston, how's the weather, has the food gotten better in the caferteria, how's the pay rise talks going, oh by the way, we've got a problem". And they solved it and we came out of the movie feeling real glad that those nice people saved Tom so's he could get another Oscar.
It's easy see. If Tom can do it, you can do it. Call this freaking air con outfit collect. Makes 'em think they are kinda special if you call collect. You could say that you are in Hawaii but your 10 year old homesitter called to say something was a funny and he keeps getting all sweaty. Anyway, you shout, rant and rave at these reprobates and tell 'em. Tell 'em you know a guy who knows a guy who CAN FIX THINGS inc FREAKING AIR CON DUMMIES & HE'S GOT A WASHINGON ZIP CODE and as an aside, say he also deals in Heat Applications. Nudge, nudge, tho a winks as good as a nudge to a blind man
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 09:23 am
Very Happy John, Oak. Where the freakin' bloody 'ell were you when I was sweatin' to the oldies? Very Happy At any moment, I expect Tom Hanks to knock on my door and deliver the squirrel cage that one repairman told me was caput. Oops, it's UPS. Embarrassed

And as far as Apollo is concerned, he was the sun god who drove his chariot too close to old sol.

Wait a minute, my red telephone is ringing. Uh Oh! Laughing
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 09:29 am
Old Sol ? the mexican beer. no wonder apollo nosedived into atlantis.
And me, I was down at Wal-Mart getting you a new doorless freezer. Only 5 bucks take away or 105 for home delivery
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 09:38 am
Heh,heh! A doorless freezer, huh. Well, John, send it on over, and I'll innovate. Hmmmmm. Maybe I can fill it with top soil and grow stuff in it. If tropical storm Charlotte decides to take a turn for the worse, you may get it back gratis.
0 Replies