Painting weekend with friends ....

Vivien

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 07:52 am
http://www.artistportfolio.net/artists/3173/0/1057432517huntstanton03b500px_.jpg

I had a great weekend away, painting at the coast with friends - here's one of the pieces.

it is only small 6x6.5inches from a sketchbook, in oil paint.

sugar sugar sugar sugar!!!!!! Evil or Very Mad

I am hopeless at this posting an image - if you want to see it try
http://vivien.artistportfolio.net/artist_page.php?artist_login=vivien

I copied the url - why won't it work??????????
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,158 • Replies: 7
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 09:11 am
it works fine. Very nice work vivien. I can see how we both liked the work by Prentice. We admire those whose work and ours are complimentary. I like your interpretations of sea horizons, you really catch it well.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 09:19 am
thanks. I love the light at the coast with the way that horizons 'melt' in parts and contrast strongly in others, it changes by the minute.

we had a fantastic weekend painting non-stop. It was warm and so nice to be out of the city .... sigh ... back to reality this weekend!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 09:23 am
de
Vivien - it's another one with a double http in the link. if you take it out, the link works well.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 09:36 am
Rolling Eyes thanks ebeth!
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 09:58 am
Love that image V. Now you see it's funny this painting has some mysterious
life.Maybe mysterious is the wrong word but it has that certain je ne sais quoi.
There are some photographs of night scenes which are also lovely upon first glance but some special registration is out.They don't evolve to the final height of personal appreciation for me. maybe I am to critical here but the simpler the image the better. it's all about simplification and transmission of mood through the tapestry of form bathed in a particular light.

I have often found myself refere to whynn bullock. He stressed the mystery must be there in order for the image to evolve. I think using the human form is the easiest way of achieving this mark. A image that is without a human in it requires the devine beauty of the moment where the artists endeavors are guided by the Muse of artistic transmission through the time and place of what caught the artists eye.

Sometimes even the artist is fooled. The artist paints something that has picked their eye and then low and behold something else is there.

One day at the Golden Age of British Watercolors Show in london many years ago, I saw this who's who of most all recognised water color painters. The exhibition was held in several rooms of a vary ornate building.

My first thought was to look at every painting then upon entering and taking glances, one could spot certain periods or groups of artists one might just pass over because things were appearing from other rooms being even more captivating with their lively color and compositions.

So I was just about to quickly pass over one wall that had very simplistic looking painting that required no deep observance on first scanning the wall. Then luckily I said wait a second, or maybe someone else said wait a moment and I went over to look at these paints.

just as I thought, not my cup of tea, these ones and then looking at the dullest one of them all. A whispy cloud over a mountain top. Very muted, very dull, very simplistic and why was it here? No one was looking at, and really this section was not inspiring considering what you see in the other rooms from the entrance.

So I loooked again and there it was , so subtle , so masterfully done. The whole painting a trick really. The cloud had a hand pinching the nipple of the mountain breast. Now it sounds like anyone would see this but this small painting was so dull and vague and tyo amateurly simplistically done.

So < i pointed this out to the guards, then the information officer, then wrote a small note to the curators, non were around at the time. Well the word got around and before I knew it a croud of people where head over shoulder trying to see my discovery.

I never heard from the curators about my theory. That the painter in all his banality was actually causing a double tromp l'oeux with this painting.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 10:37 am
one of my friends (very very talented but sadly not on the net) does amazing paintings of trees - the more you look, the more faces and animals you see, they are not obvious, are part of the branches, bark etc and not at all 'cute' - they are sometimes quite disturbing.

glad you liked it though
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 12:37 pm

hope this works! this is a series of 4ft tall canvasses that i have been working on that show different lights, weather, seasons and times of day.

They are part of a series i am working on that will work together in groups of 3, 5 or 7 to show the passing of time as well as my usual concerns of light and season and sense of place.

http://www.artistportfolio.net/artists/3173/0/1057433551longthincanvasses2.jpg
0 Replies