Growth, life, art.

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 04:39 am
Hey,
Please can someone tell me which artists focus on growth and Life as their main subject in their work?????

thanks pq xxxxxxx
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 726 • Replies: 8
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 12:09 pm
Can you explain more what you mean by growth and Life? This sounds like an assignment and, if so, the teacher probably has something not quite so vague in mind.

Norman Rockwell could be described as painting about growth and life, and I've no idea if that is what the teacher means.

Perhaps it is about the sturm and drang that occurs as people go through different phases, or passages, in life.... including people dealing with disease and death.

Or are you talking about spirituality?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 01:08 pm
Vegetables Queenie. They grow.

Then they end up being tossed in a wok with some spices and oil and grow strong bones and teeth for those who eat them.

Maybe you should read Vico.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 06:35 am
Hey,
Well it its not so much of an assignment, its my FMP for my Founation degree, and I set the brief.
I was only vague because I wanted varied replies.

The project is based on vegatables, but not in the lame still-life way. Im gonna go way further than that.
Massive rotting sculptures etc.

When I start a project i always do a post on here, just to see if anyone throws anything new into the melting pot.

So, yah, just tell me whatever.

pq xxxxxxxxx
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 06:57 am
Hmm, for some reason, Stanley Spencer leaps to mind,I recall a painting with a graveyard. Francis Bacon painted meat!Maybe that represents life.

I have my 'The Art book' with me, I shall have a look.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 07:06 am
Baldung did a painting entitled 'the 3 ages of man and death'.
Frans Hals contrasted youth and death.
May be abit on the morbid side but shows a type of growth.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 08:28 am
Hey Queenie-

You could sell breathing apparatuas at the gallery where your sclupture is shown when it is unveiled. TV would cover that.

If you go to any wholesale vegetable market you could get all the stuff you need for free. Cabbage has the best pong. You could have eight rotting cabbages sat around a late renaissance Spanish credenzia dining table with formal settings and glue on some lips and eyes and noses from off dolls and things from joke shops and make them nod and shake themselves with a simple programmed mechanical device.

You'll be famous overnight and they might give you an honorary degree which saves all that messing about doing projects set by failed artists who settle for jobs in colleges where they borrow the traditional status of the place to push some personal agenda or other.

If you want to go further you could have recorded conversations about the burning issues of the day.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 11:50 am
thanks material girl.
Yeah francis bacon is good.
Thanks spendy, where do i go to find a whole-sale?

thank you folks, keep em comming
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 02:39 pm
Queenie-

I think most largish towns have a wholesale vegetable market. They are places greengrocers etc go to for their supllies although big supermarket chains have their own systems.

I think our biggest is New Covent Garden. You'll find cabbages rolling around the gutters by the end of trading each day which is early afternoon.
0 Replies