Do I need to buy a new bed?

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 06:04 pm
I have a beautiful dark cherry bedroom set that I bought when I was newly married. Now that I'm divorced I really have no problem keeping the bed. That is not a problem for me. The problem is that after we moved from the midwest to the west coast and took the bed apart a few times to move between apts. and a home the joints must have become loose to the point that every time I move to roll over or sit down to put on shoes the bed squeeks really loud. Now its not too big of a deal right now which is the embarrassing thing to admit. But what about in the future when I may have a guest over?
I've tried to take the bed apart myself and tighten the screws but it made no difference. Are there any suggestions other than buying a new bed??
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 893 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Chai

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 06:08 pm
Call a handyman and describe this to him/her.

I'll bet they can do something.

It be a shame to get rid of a perfectly good bed over something that could be fixed for a few dollars.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 06:17 pm
Depending on how it is built, you might be able to tighten it, or have a handyperson do it, with Simpson steel angles, or some other kind of Simpson Strong-tie connector product. Or, whole new bolts...
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 06:08 am
I agree it's an easy fix. I inherited by grandparents 1920's bedroom set and the first time my boyfriend and I had sex on the bed all the slates broke and the matress fell through to the floor. My Brooklyn-Polish landllady heard the crash and came running up the stairs banging on our door and yelling at us to find out what had happened. We let her in and she took one look at us (hastily dressed) and one look at the concave bed and started laughing so hard tears came to her eyes. She said she knew someone who could fix the problem and the next day a little old Polish man with a tool box stopped by. He measured everything and returned the next day with new slates, wire cables, wing screws and some bolts. He repaired the whole thing in about an hour and charged us under a $100 including the materials. 20 years and two moves later it's still just fine.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 06:35 am
Wow, you actually broke the bed having sex?

That's a story for the grandkids I'll tell ya.

Good on ya Green Witch.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 06:37 am
Re: Do I need to buy a new bed?
martybarker wrote:
I have a beautiful dark cherry bedroom set that I bought when I was newly married. Now that I'm divorced I really have no problem keeping the bed. That is not a problem for me. The problem is that after we moved from the midwest to the west coast and took the bed apart a few times to move between apts. and a home the joints must have become loose to the point that every time I move to roll over or sit down to put on shoes the bed squeeks really loud. Now its not too big of a deal right now which is the embarrassing thing to admit. But what about in the future when I may have a guest over?
I've tried to take the bed apart myself and tighten the screws but it made no difference. Are there any suggestions other than buying a new bed??

Marty; do some photos of the bed. close ups of the joints and actually see if the noise is coming from on particular area. An interim measure may be to sprinkle talcum powder onto some of the joints.

Post the photos at this site and see if someone can assit you.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 06:49 am
Chai wrote:

Good on ya Green Witch.

I think it had more to do with the age of the wooden slates than the action of the act. Embarrassed
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 06:51 am
Green Witch wrote:
Chai wrote:

Good on ya Green Witch.

I think it had more to do with the age of the wooden slates than the action of the act. Embarrassed

Aw shucks! And here I thought...................... :wink:
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 06:52 am
Chai wrote:

Good on ya Green Witch.

Its more commom than you'd think. :wink:
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 07:47 am
Green Witch wrote:
I agree it's an easy fix. I inherited by grandparents 1920's bedroom set and the first time my boyfriend and I had sex on the bed all the slates broke and the matress fell through to the floor.

Laughing

I had a very old bed from my grandparants as well and I sat on the corner kinda hard one day and BAM! the whole side of the bed caved in.

Love those slats... Laughing
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 08:08 am
yeah, as a kid we had those bed with slats.

great for jumping up and down.

I'd crawl under the bed and manuver the slats to they were at an angle so you could make yourself crash accidently on purpose.
0 Replies