unclelarry

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 02:13 pm
toots3928 wrote:
i suppose i could multi task for you unkie!!!! :wink: Very Happy

I knew you could. Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

toots3928

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 02:15 pm
when do you leave for your cruise unkie?
0 Replies

unclelarry

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 02:28 pm
toots3928 wrote:

3 weeks, 3 days, 1 hour and 33 minutes.....but whose counting. Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 02:32 pm
tryingtohelp wrote:
Hi timber I hope you stop by again I would like to ask you some questions about you gun Shocked Nothing bad I assure you.

Sorry; didn't see this 'til just now - guess this thread moves faster than I do. Anyhow, don't mind a bit if you ask - go right ahead and shoot. Meanwhile ...

tryingtohelp wrote:
You do know what the CAR-15 is?

Yeah, though you didn't ask me, I'm pretty sure I do know ... Colt Automatic Rifle (Series) 15[/b] ... its the manufacturor's family/platform designation for a particular variant in the M-16 line of gas-operated, autoloading, magazine-fed, air-cooled select-fire (single shot, 3-round burst, and/or - depending on variant - full-auto), primarily but not exclusivey 5.56mm NATO-chambered infantry rifles which Colt Arms Co. developed from Gene Stoner's (then working for now-defunct airframe, powerplant, and weapons manufacturor Fairchild Aviation's Armalite division) 1958 .223/5.56mm-chambered development of his earlier (1954/'55) 7.62mm NATO/.308 Enfield-chambered AR-10, a design which was intended, but not accepted, as a high-capacity magazine-fed, full-auto-capable replacement for the WWII-era .30 caliber semi-automatic, 8-shot disposable-clip-fed, top-loading M-1 Garrand infantry rifle (the full-auto-capable, detachable-magazine-fed T-44/M-14 evolution of the Garrand M1 was adopted in 1957). Colt Arms Co. acquired the design in 1959, when they bought the rights to Stoner's design from the Armalite division of Fairchild Aviation. Stoner himself soon thereafter left Armalite for Colt, where his design talents were far more appreciated, and far more fully realized, than had been the case during his employment with Fairchild/Armalite.

What most folks call a CAR-15 actually is any one of a number of variants on/successors to the 1965 Colt Commando carbine, a derivation of the Colt/Armalite AR-15 Air Force Survival Rifle, a collapsible-stock, shorter-barrelled M-16 version originally produced specifically for, but not widely adopted by, the US Air Force (which originally designated the weapon GAU-5), primarily to be used by downed aircrew, and in slightly different configuration for Special Operations Groups including Army Airborne, Rangers, and Special Forces, Navy SEALs, and USMC Force Recon. The CAR-15 - a 5.56mm NATO-chambered version of the 7.62 NATO-chambered AR-10 - was a direct offspring of the M-16, which weapon by the latter 1960s, for reasons primarily related to procurement streamlining, logistics and jungle-environment operability, all but entirely had supplanted the AR-15 and other '40s-'50s-era standard issue infantry rifles, carbines, and submachineguns, including the M-14, throughout the US military establishment, as well as having considerable export and foreign license success.

In a large number of variants and successor models, including everything from heavy-barrelled, full-auto-only, belt-fed models through extremely compact carbine/sub-carbine models, the M-16 platform enjoys the remarkable distinction of remaining the standard US infantry rifle more than 4 decades after its introduction, and continues in similar role among a large number of foreign militaries. By the end of this decade, however, the M-16's reign as the US military's standard issue infantry rifle will have ended, a consequence of the currently-developing Land Warior concept, for which the ongoing standard issue infantry rifle selection process is nearing the end stages.

Incidentaly, assorted variants on the M-16 platform have been and are being produced - albeit in relatively small volume - in calibers other than 5.56mm NATO, notably but not exhaustively 9mm NATO, 7.62mm NATO and 7.62mm Warsaw Pact/Soviet. Overall, the Stoner-designed M-16 platform rifle has become the 2nd most-produced infantry rifle in history, after only the somewhat older, Soviet-developed AK-47/AKM-platform rifle developed by Mikhail Kalashnikov at the end of WWII, and its multitude of variants and descendents.

tryingtohelp wrote:
Flumoxed wrote:
... TTH - yes I'm familiar with that variation of the AR-15 ...

... How many rounds max? Trivia time.

Trivia indeed - the CAR-15 will accommodate any type-standard 5.56mm NATO M-16 magazine, from 5 rounds to the 100 round "C", or dual drum, magazine. Typically, however, civilian versions most commonly shipped with a 10 round magazine, though 15 round magazines were/are available as an off-the-shelf orderable accessory or substitute, and both 20 and 30 round military clips are not uncommonly seen on civilian versions.

Because of the relatively lighter, shorter, carbine-type barrel of the CAR-15 as compared to other variants on the platform, however, sustained auto, or even extended high-rate semi-auto, firing is not especially practical, due chiefly to such considerations as barrel/receiver heat buildup, excessive report (the little sucker is a bunch louder than a full-barrelled M-16), and muzzle flash effect. Still fun, though, even if rock'n'roll somewhat more frequently than might be entirely combat-satisfactory is interupted by clear-and-recharge. 'Course, that's what the forward-assist bolt is all about, I s'pose. All that aside, I still like the M-14; with standard issue FMJ Military Ball ammo, that puppy will really reach out to touch stuff, and it touches real hard, semi, burst, or full auto.

Now I betchyer sorry ya asked - or at any rate, sorry I answered Mr. Green

If ya want more, just holler, but be patient; for more detail I'll prolly hafta start looking up stuff - I think I've given ya 'bout all I can off the toppa my head. Oh, and if I got something wrong in that ramble up there, just lemme know - always open to factual correction.
0 Replies

toots3928

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 02:35 pm
unclelarry wrote:
toots3928 wrote:

3 weeks, 3 days, 1 hour and 33 minutes.....but whose counting. Laughing Laughing
what no seconds? Laughing
0 Replies

toots3928

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 02:36 pm
timberlandko wrote:
tryingtohelp wrote:
Hi timber I hope you stop by again I would like to ask you some questions about you gun Shocked Nothing bad I assure you.

Sorry; didn't see this 'til just now - guess this thread moves faster than I do. Anyhow, don't mind a bit if you ask - go right ahead and shoot. Meanwhile ...

tryingtohelp wrote:
You do know what the CAR-15 is?

Yeah, though you didn't ask me, I'm pretty sure I do know ... Colt Automatic Rifle (Series) 15[/b] ... its the manufacturor's family/platform designation for a particular variant in the M-16 line of gas-operated, autoloading, magazine-fed, air-cooled select-fire (single shot, 3-round burst, and/or - depending on variant - full-auto), primarily but not exclusivey 5.56mm NATO-chambered infantry rifles which Colt Arms Co. developed from Gene Stoner's (then working for now-defunct airframe, powerplant, and weapons manufacturor Fairchild Aviation's Armalite division) 1958 .223/5.56mm-chambered development of his earlier (1954/'55) 7.62mm NATO/.308 Enfield-chambered AR-10, a design which was intended, but not accepted, as a high-capacity magazine-fed, full-auto-capable replacement for the WWII-era .30 caliber semi-automatic, 8-shot disposable-clip-fed, top-loading M-1 Garrand infantry rifle (the full-auto-capable, detachable-magazine-fed T-44/M-14 evolution of the Garrand M1 was adopted in 1957). Colt Arms Co. acquired the design in 1959, when they bought the rights to Stoner's design from the Armalite division of Fairchild Aviation. Stoner himself soon thereafter left Armalite for Colt, where his design talents were far more appreciated, and far more fully realized, than had been the case during his employment with Fairchild/Armalite.

What most folks call a CAR-15 actually is any one of a number of variants on/successors to the 1965 Colt Commando carbine, a derivation of the Colt/Armalite AR-15 Air Force Survival Rifle, a collapsible-stock, shorter-barrelled M-16 version originally produced specifically for, but not widely adopted by, the US Air Force (which originally designated the weapon GAU-5), primarily to be used by downed aircrew, and in slightly different configuration for Special Operations Groups including Army Airborne, Rangers, and Special Forces, Navy SEALs, and USMC Force Recon. The CAR-15 - a 5.56mm NATO-chambered version of the 7.62 NATO-chambered AR-10 - was a direct offspring of the M-16, which weapon by the latter 1960s, for reasons primarily related to procurement streamlining, logistics and jungle-environment operability, all but entirely had supplanted the AR-15 and other '40s-'50s-era standard issue infantry rifles, carbines, and submachineguns, including the M-14, throughout the US military establishment, as well as having considerable export and foreign license success.

In a large number of variants and successor models, including everything from heavy-barrelled, full-auto-only, belt-fed models through extremely compact carbine/sub-carbine models, the M-16 platform enjoys the remarkable distinction of remaining the standard US infantry rifle more than 4 decades after its introduction, and continues in similar role among a large number of foreign militaries. By the end of this decade, however, the M-16's reign as the US military's standard issue infantry rifle will have ended, a consequence of the currently-developing Land Warior concept, for which the ongoing standard issue infantry rifle selection process is nearing the end stages.

Incidentaly, assorted variants on the M-16 platform have been and are being produced - albeit in relatively small volume - in calibers other than 5.56mm NATO, notably but not exhaustively 9mm NATO, 7.62mm NATO and 7.62mm Warsaw Pact/Soviet. Overall, the Stoner-designed M-16 platform rifle has become the 2nd most-produced infantry rifle in history, after only the somewhat older, Soviet-developed AK-47/AKM-platform rifle developed by Mikhail Kalashnikov at the end of WWII and its multitude of variants and descendents.

tryingtohelp wrote:
Flumoxed wrote:
... TTH - yes I'm familiar with that variation of the AR-15 ...

... How many rounds max? Trivia time.

Trivia indeed - the CAR-15 will accommodate any type-standard 5.56mm NATO M-16 magazine, from 5 rounds to the 100 round "C", or dual drum, magazine. Typically, however, civilian versions most commonly shipped with a 10 round magazine, though 15 round magazines were/are available as an off-the-shelf orderable accessory or substitute, and both 20 and 30 round military clips are not uncommonly seen on civilian versions.

Because of the relatively lighter, shorter, carbine-type barrel of the CAR-15 as compared to other variants on the platform, however, sustained auto, or even extended high-rate semi-auto, firing is not especially practical, due chiefly to such considerations as barrel/receiver heat buildup, excessive report (the little sucker is a bunch louder than a full-barrelled M-16), and muzzle flash effect. Still fun, though, even if rock'n'roll somewhat more frequently than might be entirely combat-satisfactory is interupted by clear-and-recharge. 'Course, that's what the forward-assist bolt is all about, I s'pose. All that aside, I still like the M-14; with standard issue FMJ Military Ball ammo, that puppy will really reach out to touch stuff, and it touches real hard, semi, burst, or full auto.

Now I betchyer sorry ya asked - or at any rate, sorry I answered Mr. Green

If ya want more, just holler, but be patient; for more detail I'll prolly hafta start looking up stuff - I think I've given ya 'bout all I can off the toppa my head. Oh, and if I got something wrong in that ramble up there, just lemme know - always open to factual correction.
Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
0 Replies

unclelarry

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 02:40 pm
toots3928 wrote:
unclelarry wrote:
toots3928 wrote:

I didn't want to seem to anxious! Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

toots3928

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 02:44 pm
unclelarry wrote:
toots3928 wrote:
unclelarry wrote:
toots3928 wrote:

I didn't want to seem to anxious! Laughing Laughing
heck why not? i know i would have my bags packed and be waiting at the airport about now!!!! Laughing
0 Replies

unclelarry

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 02:46 pm
If we left now we would probably make it through security just in time to make our flight.
0 Replies

toots3928

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 02:48 pm
unclelarry wrote:
If we left now we would probably make it through security just in time to make our flight.
ain't that the truth!!!! Laughing
0 Replies

toots3928

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 02:49 pm
did you know that a single tagalong cookie from the girl scouts has 5 grams of fat? Shocked
0 Replies

unclelarry

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 02:50 pm
What's a tagalong cookie?
0 Replies

toots3928

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 02:56 pm
it's a crisp cookie topped with creamy peanut butter and covered with a lucious chocolate coating....mmmm mmmm good!
0 Replies

toots3928

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 02:58 pm
but oh so bad for you! i got those and samoas!
0 Replies

toots3928

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 02:59 pm
have two neighbor girls....had to order a box from each of them! :wink:
0 Replies

toots3928

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 03:23 pm
i am now entered 44 times to win a 5-Day Trip for Two to Hawaii, Mexico, Caribbean or any U.S. Domestic Destination Including Alaska!!!! Very Happy
0 Replies

unclelarry

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 03:28 pm
toots3928 wrote:
it's a crisp cookie topped with creamy peanut butter and covered with a lucious chocolate coating....mmmm mmmm good!

Alright now I know what you're talking about. when my daughter used to sell them a long time ago I think they were called peanut butter patties.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 03:29 pm
Did I hear chocolates?
0 Replies

unclelarry

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 03:29 pm
toots3928 wrote:
but oh so bad for you! i got those and samoas!

We usually get the Thin Mints (my personal favorite) and the Samoas.
0 Replies

unclelarry

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 03:30 pm
toots3928 wrote:
i am now entered 44 times to win a 5-Day Trip for Two to Hawaii, Mexico, Caribbean or any U.S. Domestic Destination Including Alaska!!!! Very Happy

I hope you win.
0 Replies