God real? or Man-made?!

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 09:03 pm
Our older son got his bachelors in Business/Finance and his masters in Communication Science. Our younger son got his degree in Psychology.

With honor.
0 Replies

cello

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2007 05:38 pm
Good for your sons, CI! Smile

Please tell me, because I have always wondered about this, when a person graduates with a bachelor in Psychology, is he called a Doctor, like we say a psychologist?

I have never heard of Communication Science. What is it about, if you don't mind me asking?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2007 05:40 pm
cello, A person must earn a PhD or MD to be called a doctor. A bachelor's degree in psychology is not worth much in the market place; most jobs require a MSW (masters social work).
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2007 05:50 pm
History
Established in 1941 with the founding of The University of Texas at Austin Speech and Hearing Clinic, the Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders is the oldest program of its kind in the state of Texas. Originally housed in the Department of Speech Communication, a separate Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders was established in 1998.

In 1979, the School of Communication became the College of Communication. At official ceremonies in April 1982, the three buildings comprising the communication complex were named the Jesse H. Jones Communication Center in honor of Mr. Jones, founder of the Houston Endowment, donor of the College's first and largest endowment. The Jesse H. Jones Communication Center houses the Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders.

About the Department
Today, we have about 300 undergraduate majors, 100 graduate students, and a faculty and staff of 30.

Students in the Department hail from all over the nation. Upon leaving the University, our graduates enter the clinical, teaching, and research fields throughout the United States. While in school, Communication Sciences and Disorders graduate students conduct original research, participate in symposia, and may serve as research assistants, teaching assistants or assistant instructors. Many of our students publish scholarly articles or deliver papers at professional meetings. We are proud of the high level of professional involvement of our students. All of those who have earned a Ph.D. in our Department have obtained faculty or other professional positions.

Our graduate program is tailored to individual students. Students develop a plan of study in consultation with their faculty advisory committees. Ordinarily, an M.A. program is completed in two years, a Ph.D. in three or four years after completion of the M.A. We encourage most students in the doctoral program to create a four year full-time Ph.D. work plan since it is quite difficult to produce a high quality dissertation if the student is not in residence.
0 Replies