God real? or Man-made?!

Glory

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 06:31 am
Id like to see what people have to say... I myself don't know and another persons point of veiw would probly clarify some light!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,117 • Replies: 43
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 06:49 am
Im gonna vote man-made. I hope somebody has the answers. Will this be on the final?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 06:54 am
Man made.............sort of an older person's version of Santa Claus, or the tooth fairy!
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 06:56 am
Glory,

You've got an immediate problem with that "or" because some of us would say "reality is man made" !

In other words there is one paradigm involving a separation of observer and observed (duality/naive realism) in which so called "evidence for a deity" is argued about ad nauseam, and there is a nondual paradigm (supported by modern physics) in which ultimately there is no separation of observer and observed. According this all "concepts" whether they be rocks, nations, unicorns or gods are temporary functional nodes within a constant flux of interrelationships. Thus in the absence of any agreed "physicality" the "reality of God" depends entirely on its psychological and social functionality.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 06:57 am
On the other hand, I hope God doesnt get pissed off.
0 Replies

cello

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 08:15 am
Would God exist if men don't exist?

Would the rest of the planet (animals, plants, montains, etc.) exist if men don't exist?

Would Planet Earth itself and other planets exist if men don't exist?

Who created all that?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 08:42 am
It came with the kit.
0 Replies

cello

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 08:57 am
Very Happy

Wouldn't the kit be detachable? We have some animal or plant species that have become extinct, and still the rest continues to exist.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 09:47 am
cello.

For me "existence" is "to be in relationship". When we say a species is now "extinct" it means means that the relationship has theoretically changed its nature from one of observing a "living example". Since each species "observes reality" according to its perceptual needs there is no "ultimate reality" only a relational one. Your question " would "the earth" etc exist if no humans were present is therefore "no" ....but something would exist in relative to "the physiology" of the non-human observer. We must bear in mind that "the earth" and "physiology" are concepts relative to our own needs and have no a priori ontological status.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 09:48 am
I vote that man created god in his own image.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 09:54 am
In the beginning, God created the earth, and he looked upon it in His cosmic loneliness.

And God said, "Let Us make living creatures out of mud, so the mud can see what We have done." And God created every living creature that now moveth, and one was man. Mud as man alone could speak. God leaned close as mud as man sat up, looked around, and spoke. Man blinked. "What is the purpose of all this?" he asked politely.

"Everything must have a purpose?" asked God.

"Certainly," said man.

"Then I leave it to you to think of one for all this," said God.

And He went away. [ 118 ]
0 Replies

cello

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 10:06 am
Fresco, I hope I understand well what you said. I agree things may be perceived as existing or not existing relative to a person, like in the example where there is a table in a room, and you see it, when you go out of the room, you don't see it, but it still exists. But I would think if a species is extinct, it is no more, wherever your position or relationship is to that species. It is not a relative reality, it is the reality of non-existence.

Dyslexia, I like that. This is called acting before thinking or planning. Very Happy
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 10:41 am
Cello,

No you've not got it yet.

Suppose you were a frog. Your physiology would only detect moving insects. If you were surrounded by what humans call "dead flies" you would starve to death...they wouldn't exist for you...you have no relationship with them.

Or suppose you were a medieval physician. You would observe in your patients the nature of their "humours". "Humours" would exist relative to you because they constitute a functional segmentation of reality.

The "table" to which you refer is so-called relative to a specific function common to our culture. One of its properties is "physicality" which simply means "predicted persistence relative to human lifespans".

Are you following....absolute existence is a myth.....unless of course you hypothesize an absolute observer....or "god"!
0 Replies

Cobbler

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 03:27 pm
I believe Spirituality is not man-made, but that a supreme ruler is.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 03:32 pm
Cobbler wrote:
I believe Spirituality is not man-made, but that a supreme ruler is.

Well said, Bawb. Er, cobbler.
0 Replies

cello

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 04:40 pm
Fresco, thanks for your explanations. Yes, I think I am saying then that there must be an absolute observer, for if there is a Creator who created everything, "He" must be outside of the things created in order to see everything, everywhere, every time.

It is like someone who invented a robot. So the inventor knows where all the pieces go, but the robot itself, although "intelligent", does not have power for example to make a clone of itself, even though it is able to do many chores it was meant to do. Maybe the robot would not know the name or the intelligence of its creator, or what he wants to program it to do next, etc. So the robot kind of goes around and around thinking that it knows everything and can do everything.
0 Replies

Glory

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 07:48 pm
Okay, Say GOD is real? Then who made GOD? I find it hard to believe that we were Sculpted out of mud.. lol They say that GOD has a plan for everyone, So what was his plan for the women and children that are getting molested and raped? he see's everything? Does he like watching women getting raped and kids gettin molested??

Although I thought he was created so their would be good left in the world, Scientists have a scientifical explanation how we were created. And some people chose to believe adam n eve? It has too many holes in the story, Thanks for the input guys!
0 Replies

Cobbler

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 08:12 pm
Glory wrote:
Okay, Say GOD is real? Then who made GOD?

If God is real, then he created time.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 10:47 pm
Re: God real? or Man-made?!
Glory wrote:
Id like to see what people have to say... I myself don't know and another persons point of veiw would probly clarify some light!

Nobody else knows either, especially those who are certain they do.

For me, my guess is the chances of any gods ever having existed is billions to 1.
0 Replies

tomasso

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 11:17 pm
And the chances of everything falling into place like the design of the
our environment on earth and the movement of the stars and planets???

I read somewhere (sorry, i don't remember where), that 90% of all
astronomers believe in a God. One of the highest percentages of any profession.
0 Replies