Sat 24 Feb, 2007 11:37 pm
When I was young (in the 60's) it seems that if I had a first date, usually on saturday night, and took some charming young lady to a decent restaurant we would invariably be served a salad pre-dinner that was in essence a quarter of a head of lettuce with some dressing and maybe a tomato garnish. There is no way I (or the charming young lady) could eat a quarter head of lettuce with any degree of grace or style. I always thought of this phenonoma as "dater's salad."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,557 • Replies: 7
Topic Closed
No top replies

ossobuco

Sat 24 Feb, 2007 11:40 pm
My being fractionally older than you, sure, I remember that. In fact it lived through the seventies, well into the eighties. Maybe even now...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sat 24 Feb, 2007 11:41 pm
Also, nobody dates now, I gather.
0 Replies

Chai

Sun 25 Feb, 2007 12:39 pm
Driving from Austin to Illinois, one can still find places along the road that sell daters salad.

That's the kind with either Wish Bone French or Russian dressing, right?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Sun 25 Feb, 2007 12:46 pm
Chai wrote:
Driving from Austin to Illinois, one can still find places along the road that sell daters salad.

That's the kind with either Wish Bone French or Russian dressing, right?

exactly.
0 Replies

Wy

Mon 26 Feb, 2007 07:48 pm
I had a friend who thought tossed salads weren't torn into small enough pieces (I'm inclined to agree). Rather than tackle a tossed salad and try to fold the lettuce to fit his mouth, he would order a lettuce wedge (usually thousand-island dressing) simply because you're supposed to eat it with a knife and fork...
0 Replies

Lash

Mon 26 Feb, 2007 08:32 pm
Should I not eat salad on my first date?

I have some men waiting in my inbox for some sign of life from me--and I'm completely weirded out.

Should I worry about this salad?
0 Replies

Chai

Tue 27 Feb, 2007 02:02 pm
oh wait, iceburg lettuce of course...we don't want to get too carried away.

what with the thousand island dressing and all

that's enough excitement.
0 Replies