What are lifes index points ?

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2003 07:01 am
I just realized during ones life time, one acquire's index points related to memory and date. Some memories are odd some are practical , like graduating from an institution to the time you first tripped on your shoe lace. It's just interesting what these indexs become over time. Sometimes you swear you'll remember some moment and never do and some things just reach home base all so atutomatically. They say the most interesting movie of all is the one your going to see just before you die, speaking if the circumstances are right .You die while awake. In the 70ty's there was a tshirt or poster that said." Death is the greatest trip of all, cause it's lasts".
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,660 • Replies: 20
No top replies

trixabell

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 12:33 pm
interesting view i guess...though i dont believe that life so much has index points, but that we live through emotions, all of which can be recollected by some stimulus or other: music for example, or a certain place or atmosphere.
life is one neverending index point if you like, and though major things may happen, like the death of a close friend for example, these do not exist as a point in history, but as an emotional tool through which you grow into a different person: changing your perspective on life and so changing the way your emotions themselves are percieved.
in this light, the human mind is forever evolving, what can be seen as stationary points in the past are actually affecting the here and now.
just a irrelavant but of garble for u to mull over....
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 01:19 pm
One of them must be: When all the doctors seem younger than you.

When you first wish you could have another chance at life. (The people that never do this don't count.) Very Happy

When your children come to you for advice. (After years of sticking their fingers in their ears, when you tried to advise them before.)

When you first stood up to pressure, knowing you would suffer a personal loss.

The inner knowledge that "I am now a woman, not a girl." (Of course, this is more upsetting for those who began as boys...) Cool
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 01:22 pm
Yes to all of the above. Music has a great way of taking you back to a time and place as does smell, I think smell is the number one thought and moment recollector.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 10:50 pm
Actually, I have a little dial under my armpit which allows me to set the readout on the inside of my retina, so its all quite "built in" so to speak.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 11:25 pm
trexabell, WELCOME to A2K. c.i.
My brain isn't reliable enough for me to remember my index dates. My older brother told me that when we were kids, I almost drowned, but saved by a kid who was with us playing at the Sacramento River. I fell in the water, but he grabbed my shirt and pulled me back on shore. I truly don't remember that event. c.i.
0 Replies

trixabell

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 01:01 pm
im not saying we remember it all...wot i am saying is that it happened to us and we therefore should be able to recollect it with the correct stimulus...i believe it is rooted in emotion, but thats only cos i study theatre and Stanislavski's system (which includes reference to emotion memory) maybe that particular event was so traumatic that ur mind instinctively forgot about it.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 05:34 pm
Trix...;
I totally agree (oops, sorry about that), emotional memory is stored diferently from intelectual memory, and its "triggers" are frequently specific to the event.......perhaps a smell, a colour, or a certain kind of diffused light, for example. And reproducing these triggers will open the event from memory.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 05:41 pm
Interesting. I'll be back (no, that's not a threat), you've all given me a lot to think about.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 06:39 pm
Your first individual checking account

The birth of your first child

Your first job interview

High school graduation

Your first pair of high heels

Your first orgasm
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 07:26 pm
Jokes are alot this phenomena.Theres so many jokes yet very few can we remeber.Now I know I've seen at least a couple dozen amazing sunsets yet I can only remenis about those handfull thatr keep coming back.
0 Replies

Libratrue

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 07:31 pm
Like the time, as a four year old, when I dropped scissors on my toe and now when anything falls near me, I automatically lift my foot up to protect it. A memory warp if my foot doesnt actually need protecting.<br>Could life index points be critical events that changed our lives/perspectives in some way? That may be why one sunset/song/person is remembered in preference to another.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 09:41 pm
Yes libratrue something like that. It's just curious. What they turn out to be. Do they change over time some comeup others fade back ?
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 09:53 pm
dappled light at any event personal or crowded.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 07:02 am
Wouldn't it be nice, if we could engage software, similar to one i have running on my computer (Second Chance), that will allow you to return to a 'previous state' of being; the way things were before you screwed everything up, by making a bad decision, of some physical malfunction that slashes and burns most of what you have been working toward for years!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 10:09 am
BGW, Some of us managed to do relatively well with limited resources of money and brains. Life index points? How about the whole shebang? LOL
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 08:31 pm
"shebang"! Shocked
isn't that a little 'off topic' C.I.? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 08:52 pm
Ooooops!

Just to keep the record straight, there are many definitions for "shebang." Here's one. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0684838613/104-8778161-2243102?v=glance
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 09:08 pm
that's alright C.I.; we all have our little "preferences" :wink:
0 Replies

trixabell

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 11:07 am
lol...i cant believe that this topic is still being posted on as it is...even if we r talking about 'shebangs' now...tum ti tum...back to the subject though, i was just having a look back at all the 'intelligent' things iv been saying and have decided that 'lifes index points' are actually a mixture of all the definitions given here...okay, they have to be the events, ie first car crash etc, or else there would be no basis for change...it is then the personages perspective on these things that make them lasting memories and perspective is linked to my old theory of emotions...all of these things allow one event, one thought, one feeling to change the direction of the rest of our lives - even if its just a little thing to anyone but you...which brings me back to my initial argument - life is one big index point - decisions we make every day have consequences which will eventually affect the way we view things, which changes us as people....unless of course, you are so set in your ways that you block out everything that doesnt comply with your agenda - and even then, there has to be something along the line that gave you that outlook.........
*head spins*
0 Replies