Taekwondo or Taekwondon't?

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 08:25 pm
My son, Mo, is six years old. He has some errrrr..... "issues" and he doesn't always manage his anger well.

Lately he's been pretty angry and I don't really know why. He's been getting into a little trouble.

A while back several people recommended martial arts because of the self discipline aspect. Tonight I stopped in to the neighborhood Taekwondo school and picked up some information. Later I took Mo by so that we could watch a class in action. He seems very interested.

But to tell the truth, I'm shaking in my shoes thinking about the combination of explosive anger and martial arts training. He can be dangerous now. Do I really want him to learn this kind of thing?

I'm hoping that some A2K members might have some experience with a similar situation and that they can help me make a decision.

Can you help?

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,881 • Replies: 23
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 08:28 pm
No, I can't. Listening/supporting.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 08:35 pm
Nigel was in karate as a little'un and it was great for him.

At Mo's age they're not going to turn him into a lethal weapon. In fact it's
kinda funny to see what happens when a couple of little karate kids get into
a real mix. All the training goes out the window and they turn into a
whirlwind of flailing, mostly ineffectual limbs.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 08:37 pm
Trust me boomer, he won't be able to use his power for a very long time.
The kids primarily learn to concentrate, and respect their body and its
abilities. The instructors also talk to the children about respecting each
other, how to avoid conflicts and so on.

Sure they hit the training mat with their feet, but it is mainly to teach
them balance and force. It is a great tool of stress relief, and I found it
very helpful for my daughter to release the angers of the day.

Around here, most kids go to Karate/Taekwondo classes when they're
6 or 7 years old, girls an boys alike. They all seem to enjoy it then -
until they hit the school sports of soccer, baseball etc.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 08:51 pm
A side issue, of course, but the particular school and the instructors that actually deal with the kids is way more important than the precise style. Can you hang around after a class and chat up the parents?

In any case, there is probably a contract involved. Read it.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 08:53 pm
roger wrote:
...In any case, there is probably a contract involved. Read it.

Excellent point!
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 08:54 pm
My brother in Wichita had the same issue.
Now his kid is 10, and my bro is trying to convince his son to keep up his TKD, since he's almost achieved his black belt, but the boy's only "sport" interest is chess.
Talk about anger management!
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 09:36 pm
I also say "yes" to Taekwondo. It will teach him to channel that mean energy into something athletic. It's like boot camp for little people.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 09:43 pm
I used to go to kenpo karate class with my stepson. Richie was borderline hyperactive and short attention spanned. The classes made him a more focused person, as long as we went. And I don't think, if the instructors are competent, that the use of violence is something that he will learn as a first or best way to approach things. The opposite is true - the discipline subdues the baser instincts, and brings a calm...
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 09:44 pm
Wouldn't a lobotomy be cheaper?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 09:45 pm
How much did yours cost?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 09:51 pm
gustav was in a research project and he actually got a monetary compensation for his lobotomy.
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 07:31 am
fbaezer wrote:
My brother in Wichita had the same issue.
Now his kid is 10, and my bro is trying to convince his son to keep up his TKD, since he's almost achieved his black belt, but the boy's only "sport" interest is chess.
Talk about anger management!

He should try Chess-boxing - alternating rounds of chess with rounds of boxing.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 09:39 am
Wow!

It sounds like everyone is in agreement that it is a good idea even under our circumstances. Thank you all for sharing your experiences with this. I really do appreciate it.

I'm not so much worried about Mo getting into fights with the TKD kids but with classmates. He is already a pretty effective fighter and he has a hair trigger temper.

I've thought about team sports like soccer or t-ball, cjane, but I think something that helps him control and channel his energy and temper might be a better start. I don't want to put him on a team and have him get kicked off and the way he's behaving lately.....

<sigh>

I mentioned it briefly to Mr. B last night. I'm going to let him read this thread when he gets home tonight. He thinks Mo needs to earn the right to take the class. I see his point on that but I also think we need to start working on something pretty darn soon.

I'll get by the school and talk to the teachers and look over a contract.

I want what Snood said -- for the discipline to subdue the baser instinct and bring calm.

Thanks again!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 10:05 am
Mr B may be right. He's more apt to stick with something he has earned.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 10:17 am
boomerang wrote:

I've thought about team sports like soccer or t-ball, cjane, but I think something that helps him control and channel his energy and temper might be a better start. I don't want to put him on a team and have him get kicked off and the way he's behaving lately.....

Don't worry boomer, once he is in school, all kids enter team sports
and your weekends will be filled with driving half of the soccer team
to the games - rain or shine, they want to play!
So your time will come, don't push it! Laughing
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2007 06:39 pm
Boomerang, at first I didn't think I had anything to contribute to this thread as I study T'ai Chi -- definitely one of the "soft" martial arts, but then I remembered something my Sensei said about martial arts instructors:

"Never study with a Sensei who comes through a doorway chest first."

If patience, self-control, and a healthy amount of both both humility and confidence is what you're hoping Mo will learn then you need to find a teacher who exemplifies those traits. A Dojo is not boot camp and you do not want a drill instructor. A teacher who can quietly but firmly go about earning Mo's respect and cooperation is key. Once you find this paragon, butt out! The Dojo where I study has a wall with huge windows and a door kept closed during classes between the class and the waiting area. Parents are encouraged to stick around and watch but not interfere. (There is a toy box and carpeted area for younger siblings.) It is a child friendly place and the kids adore the Sensei even though (or maybe because) he demands a lot of them.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2007 07:27 pm
Excellent post, Tai Chi. Excellent.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2007 09:02 pm
Quote:
patience, self-control, and a healthy amount of both both humility and confidence

That is it exactly!

I agree that is an excellent post and I truly thank you for it, Tai.

I love that "chest first" advice. I can conjure up exactly what that means and I will be looking for precisely that.

We've had a rough week. Mo "ran away from home" tonight.

I helped him pack and followed at a distance until he changed his mind and came home, very apologetic.

We came home and I put him in the bath and I saw your post and yes....

Patience, self-control, and a healthy amount of both both humility and confidence is exactly what I want.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2007 09:15 pm
Boomer--

You might sign up for lessons yourself.
0 Replies