Do you believe in Astral Projection?

Cobbler

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 05:21 pm
It's something I got greatly interested in lately, having a few projections myself. I know the experience is real, but I do not yet know if it is all in the brain or if it is a genuine leaving of the body.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astral_projection

The evidence I have seen does lean towards it being an actual experience, but I cannot say for sure yet. My friend and I will be trying to meet each other out-of-body atleast 20 times, and say a 5 digit number to each other. We will then repeat the number to each other, digit by digit, to see if the experience was true. ( I saw the first digit, he says second, I say third, he says fourth, I say fifth. )
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,516 • Replies: 51
No top replies

fresco

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 06:17 pm
I'll believe in any form of flying which avoids increase in travel taxes !

Seriously though there may be some evidence that "consciousness" could be a non-local phenomenon with respect to "the brain".(See "Quantum Consciousness") The experience of "astral projection" by some may be related to this although it is difficult to see how "the self" would remain as an integrated whole.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 12:18 am
Cobbler, welcome to A2K.

How do you know that the experience is real? Where have you projected yourself? I tend to be skeptical of fantastic claims with no scientific evidence to back them up, but please let us know the results of your number exchange attempts.
0 Replies

Cobbler

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 05:58 pm
Terry wrote:
Cobbler, welcome to A2K.

How do you know that the experience is real? Where have you projected yourself? I tend to be skeptical of fantastic claims with no scientific evidence to back them up, but please let us know the results of your number exchange attempts.

What I mean by the experience being real is that whether it is all in the mind or actually out-of-body, I know it happens atleast one of those ways. Now I'm just trying to figure out which.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 09:34 pm
Hi Cobbler,

Welcome to A2K.

I would warn you to very careful about what you think you know.

If it turns out you really can do this, you and your mate might want to swing by James Randi's house and pick up your million dollars.

http://www.randi.org/
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 05:07 am
I've always thought of the mind of a receptor of thoughts rather than a generator of them. The mind may not be in the brain at all. So I'm wondering if the term out-of-body experience isn't a bit superfluous.

I know the basic definition of it. Body being one place and consciousness another. Thing is, though I believe that this can happen, but I do not believe that the mind can percieve anything but thoughts if it's not connected to it's physical sensory organs.

In other words, I believe I can project my mind to wherever I want it, but I cannot project my physical eyes, so I cannot see what's going on there.

I believe it is as fresco says; consciousness is non-local. Perception is local though, since it is a matter of sensory input.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 05:58 am
Re: Do you believe in Astral Projection?
Cobbler wrote:
My friend and I will be trying to meet each other out-of-body atleast 20 times, and say a 5 digit number to each other. We will then repeat the number to each other, digit by digit, to see if the experience was true.
Laughing Well never mind, better luck next time. Actually my head was full of bloody numbers yesterday. Perhaps they missed your friend and came here. Or was it the Times sudoku?
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 06:08 am
Yep, i believe in it.

Tho I think its like cosmic ordering, you write down things in life you want to achive and think about them then they will happen.
I wrote my list out in September last year and I havnt got one of the things yet.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 06:19 am
material girl wrote:
Yep, i believe in it.

Tho I think its like cosmic ordering, you write down things in life you want to achive and think about them then they will happen.
I wrote my list out in September last year and I havnt got one of the things yet.
clearly astral planing and cosmic ordering have a lot in common with my attempt to win the lottery through sheer will-power. I've been doing this for some while and its getting pretty tiring I can tell you. The other day my other half told me to give up such silly notions and buy a ticket like other people.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 08:55 am
I can do it myself.

I can stare at the back of a lady's head across a smokey pub and within a minute she'll turn round and catch my eye. 1 second. It's enough.

I'm aware that there might be another explanation; that ladies in pubs are all the time checking to see if anybody is looking at them. The glammed up ones I mean. But I don't believe that.

Vic gave me the idea. He says that when he takes the dog for a walk, and don't say I shouldn't be talking to the type of people who take dogs for a walk because you have to put up with what you've got in our pub, that when he comes to a T junction he decides which way to go and the dog takes that route ahead of him. He astral projects to his dog. He's a control freak. Most dog owners are control freaks. They can't get anybody to obey them so they get a dog and train that to pretend to obey them. Vic obeyed his wife even when she ordered him to blow.

He swears it's a fact. When I asked him how did he know that the dog didn't decide which way to go and astral projected it into him he said I was barmy.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 05:48 am
When I used to take my parent's dog for a walk I usually let it decide where we should go.

I figured that it's pretty much the same to me, so why don't let the dog, who seemed to have a lot of places to go to, decide. So I just followed, and every now and then the dog turned to see if I was there, waited for me a few seconds and then it went along. Took me to some places I'd never considered going to on my own.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 01:20 pm
its called dogging

try it in england
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 04:06 pm
Cyr wrote-

Quote:
Took me to some places I'd never considered going to on my own.

Maybe your unconscious was projecting. I'd better not suggest Vic trying unconscious projecting because he's a bit past that sort of thing. He's full of regret, remorse even, for not trying things he'd never considered trying. It's a regular topic on the bar.

It could make a nice lyric though Cyr.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 04:48 pm
Why not spendi.

This vic is sounding a bit like a country song. Wife left, the dog won't obey me, and my best mate was run over... Or was that the dog was run over and my best mate ran off with my wife... But now it doesn't sound like him anymore.

But anyway, If ya can't smell it, follow someone who can...
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 06:03 pm
Now that is first class advice.

Anybody who came on Able To Know with the intention of being abled to know has hit the jackpot with that one.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 07:13 pm
Yea, it's amazing what we can learn from so-called lower standing forms of life. I've never understood that. The way humanity is going I'd think that a creature that can lick its own balls would be glorified and worshipped.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2007 08:41 am
Cats can do it Cyr. We had a ginger tom that used to lie in the sun licking its balls until it nodded off. It probably is pretty boring now you've made me think of it.

I don't think that capacity qualifies a creature to be glorified and worshipped. Quite the contrary in fact.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2007 01:14 pm
I agree, spendius. But it seems to me that when it comes to self-worship, which is basically the main thing we're encouraged to do in this consumer society, licking your own balls seems like the highest achievement possible.
In other words, I do not have very high thoughts about our western way of life...
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2007 04:32 pm
Not all of us are into self-worship despite being encouraged to be so. I've been encouraged to do a lot of things I have managed to avoid doing.

How can you not admire the western way of life. It's ace. Perhaps you should learn to negotiate the rapids a bit better. What other way of life is better. Or was better.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 05:54 pm
spendius wrote:
I can do it myself.

I can stare at the back of a lady's head across a smokey pub and within a minute she'll turn round and catch my eye. 1 second. It's enough.

It's a law of nature that women in bars scan the room for creepy stalkers every 43 seconds, just to make sure they aren't coming any closer.
0 Replies