Painting techniques needed....

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2003 11:48 am
Hi all,

New here...
Need help painting a cupboard that I bought at a garage sale.
It's already painted but doesn't go with our decor.

I have a line of furniture that we're collecting and want to match it.
Here are some pics of the cupboard ...
http://www.tailspinzrattery.com/files/cupboard.JPG
http://www.tailspinzrattery.com/files/close_of_cupboard.JPG

Here is an example of how I'd like it to look...
http://www.tailspinzrattery.com/files/white_end_table.jpg

Here is a close up of the finish...
http://www.tailspinzrattery.com/files/antique_white_finish.jpg

Wondering if I have to strip it first or prime it or what?
Not too great at this stuff yet.

Thanks for any help,
Crystal
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,625 • Replies: 5
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2003 05:42 am
No time right now but I'll be back. Welcome to Able2know! :-D
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2003 06:17 am
You will definitely want to strip it if you intend to see the grain of the wood that well. If you wish to avoid raising the grain you will want to strip it by hand. There are basically two types of stripper. One is a thin liquid, is best used in a stripper "bath" which is not appropriate to this application. The other type is a heavier gel like substance that is better used for removing paint. That type of stripper is "painted on," and then allowed to stand on the painted finish [/i]briefly[/i], until it bubbles and warps, at which time the stripper and the old paint can be removed with a broad-bladed putty knife. A fine grade of steel wool can be used to remove the remnants of the paint. A small quantity of the thin liquid stripped would be needed for use with the fine grade steel wool for the clean up to remove all the old paint.

The stripper should not be allowed to stand for a long period of time, as it will soak into the softer portions of the wood grain. This will "raise" the grain, meaning the soft portions expand with the liquid which soaks in. The only way to restore the smooth surface thereafter is to sand. As wood ages, it develops what is called a patina, and the age of furniture is judged in part by the patina. Most collectors consider the patina to add value as well. It is best to avoid sanding the wood surface if at all possible. If, of course, this is not an "antique" or for some other reason the age and appearance of the wood are less important, sanding could be done.

Find a portion of the piece which is painted in the manner of the entire piece, but which is out of sight, or not prominent. Test the stripper here to get an idea of how the paint removing will go. I've done lots and lots of this kind of work, and had gotten rather good at it. However, the goal in what i was doing was to reveal the wood, and finish it with stain and varnish, and not to re-paint. I don't really have any advice for you on achieving the finish you desire.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2003 06:20 am
I might also add that if this piece was bare wood which was primed and painted, you will never be able to get the primer out of the softer portions of the wood grain--stain and varnish for a new finish would not be an option in that case. If it was originally stained, and then varnish, clear lacquer or shellac was used--you will be able to reveal the wood grain unsullied, and will be able to finish it thereafter in any number of ways. Let us know how this turns out.
0 Replies

CRYROLFE

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 07:15 am
Thanks...
Well, not too sure how the piece I have was originally painted or how the wood was prepared.
We got it at a garage sale.

I have previously used this orange stripper, and seems like we painted it on for a bit, then got it off with a spatula type knife...it was pretty simple.

The look I want is acheived by distressing bare wood, then applying an antique white stain.
At least that's how it appears...lol.

There is also a black antique finish in the collection that I like, so I guess if we really mess it up, we could always go that route...lol.

Thanks again,
Crystal
0 Replies

BillyFalcon

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 08:41 pm
Painting
There is another way to get excellent results

We're expecting a grandbaby in August and have set up a room for the baby when they visit. My wife retrieved a small dark varnish coated little table with a funcitonal small drawer to use in the room.

All she did was wash the table thoroughly and let it dry. She bought a couple cans of pale green semi-gloss fast drying spray paint. She applied two coats. The table dried in ten minutes.

This may or may not be the solution for you, but it sure worked wonders on that little table. No brush marks. Easy to do spindles and other difficut to brush surfaces.
0 Replies