check gages

deng

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 09:19 pm
when i start my car, it says check gages and the engine get too hot. the car is Plymouth Voyager van. anybody know what may be the problem?
need your suggestion and help please
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,987 • Replies: 4
No top replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 09:21 pm
A talking car? Check your coolant level for starters.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 09:23 pm
Could be any one of about a hundred things. Based on your question I'd suggest you have it towed to a garage and checked out.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 09:25 pm
cooling system or thermostat repair
Without knowing more (like how long it takes for it to register as hot..is the engine steaming etc...and maintenance and repair record), I'd guess you have a thermostat and/or cooling system problem that needs fast repair. I'd schedule an appointment immediately to have it fixed. Especially if you're in winter climate.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 09:41 pm
Some cars have a way to read the OBD codes without needing a high priced scanner or a trip to the mechanic. Not sure about a Voyager. You can get a cheap scanner that will read codes for about $50.

If you have a check engine light that stays on and the car overheats, the first thing it points to is low coolant level. (Gus is so smart.) It would be a consistent problem and there is a sensor to read it that is a standard OBD code. Check engine lights will go out if a problem isn't recorded after a certain number of on/off cycles.

The reason for the low level is the next issue. A sticky thermostat could cause the car to overheat enough to lose coolant. You could have a leak in the radiator. You could have a blown head gasket.

OBD - On Board Diagnostics. Every car since 1996 has it built in.
0 Replies