Making a Portfolio

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 02:54 pm
I am at a loss.

I need to make a portfolio to carry with me so that, when all these people ask me what I do, when I have my camera, I can hand them a portfolio

uh

what is that?
A book of my work?

A reference sheet?

A price sheet?

How should a book of work look?

(SIGH)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,054 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 03:36 pm
portfolio cases
As a professional photographer, my portfolio is my calling card of my best work. it often reflects a theme...such as portraits...or art..with a specific theme. it IS not ever snapshots..or a casually assorted "Best of"
There should be high quality images, no bad printing..off color...bad exposure....no errors..technically sound work..that shows a busy art director..or photo editor that you know what you're doing.

The physical display of the images is in a zippered durable case: my case has a zipper and holds twenty or more 8x11s or 11 x14s. It has clear display windows that slide imaqes into their own separate pages.
Some people also provide a CD with their FINAL highest resolution images on them.

FWIW, I printed mine myself..but that is not a neccessity.

If you go to an art/photo supply store..in a big urban area ...you should see selections of portfolio cases. You might want to look in Art.com or B&H photo in NYC which is well-known pro and consumer megastore in NYC and has a huge website.. Great reputation ...like LL Bean.

Does that help?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 03:48 pm
My portfolio is similar to Ragman's but since all I do is portraits it is divided by style of image.

I'd recommend getting a nice case with replacable pages because you want it to look great and that means replacing the pages when they get even a little worn.

I printed up buiness cards - each with a different image so I can cater the style to whoever I'm talking to. The card refers them to my web site.

I usually do keep my portfolio in my car so if someone is really interested I can haul it out but I really just save it as a reference point when talking to clients about what they are interested in.

I would never put a price list in my portfolio.
0 Replies