It will be cold soon ...

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2002 01:33 pm
... and Christmas time already started in the shops.

So I thought, you probably like to try a "Glühwein".

Here some original German recipes:

GLÜHWEIN RECIPE
Ingredients for Glühwein (from „Lechner's Kochbuch").
3 cups red wine
1 cup water
1/2 cinnamon stick
3 cloves
1/2 lemon's juice
some lemon peel
Mix and heat up everything (don't let it boil, though); serve hot.
And a variation:
Take a huge pot or kettle. Place in it 1/2 cup of water. Add 1 tbsp ground cinnamon and 1 tbsp ground cloves and juice of 1 lemon. Bring to a boil. Add a 4-liter jug of burgundy (or other cheap red wine). Heat, but make sure the temperature stays below 170 degrees Fahrenheit (boiling point of ethyl alcohol). Add sugar to taste and brandy for additional wallop if the outside temperature drops below 0°. Walk, don't drive home!

And one more:
Another list of ingredients for Glühwein.
3 cups red wine
150 ml water
1 cinnamon stick
10 cloves
2 small pieces of ginger root
75 g sugar
700 ml red wine
1 orange for taste
Cook a thick syrup from the water, the spices and the sugar. Add the red wine and mix with the syrup. Reheat, but don't let it boil. Take out the spices (e. g. pass the Gluehwein through a sieve) and serve immediately.

Due to strong US-American laws, I'd like to post a recipe for under 21s [and those like me, who don't drink alcohool]:
Non-alcoholic Glühwein:

Ingredients:

1 quart (4 cups) + 3 tbsp apple juice
1 pint (2 cups) + 4 tsp black tea
2 tbsp sugar
1 lemon
1 orange
1 cinnamon stick
2 cloves

Cooking:

In a saucepan slowly heat the apple juice and tea. Peel the lemon and orange, reserve the peels. Juice the lemon and orange. Place the juice, the reserved peels, the sugar and the spices into the pan and continue to heat, being careful not to boil the liquid. Taste and adjust the spices. Strain the heated mixture through a sieve and serve in heat resistant cups.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 5,438 • Replies: 11
No top replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2002 01:59 pm
Yummy, and it just so happens I am making soup today to keep the house warm with out using the heat. Very simple, chicken with rice. But this is recipe is just in time for Thanks Giving, and will keep me warm inside and out. Probably very happy too.

Walter I have had a similar wine drink before. Pulled on a wagon while we were out singing Christmas Carols in the neighborhood. The people that provided the drink called it mulled wine, would this be the same thing?
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2002 02:09 pm
Hi Walter,

That sounds lovely and warming, just the drink for our weather here today, which is rainy, cool, and dark.

I will try this at Thanksgiving, making two versions: one for youngsters and another for adults.

If you were serving this to guests, what foods or snacks would you serve with the drink?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2002 02:09 pm
A friend made something very similar last Christmas -- only with vodka in place of brandy -- and simply called it glug (or glüg, if you prefer). And a wonderful Christmas it was!

One of the evening's pastimes was to put a lid on the pot for a minute or two, then removing the lid and immersing the nose in the vapors. It'll clear up a your sinuses in a hurry; made me wonder, also, how much alcohol existed as vapor above the brew and entered the bloodstream directly through the mucus membranes. I suppose the only way to tell would have been to sniff and not drink, and that just didnae happen.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2002 02:31 pm
Actually, patiodog, it is made from any strong stuff (I wouldn't suggest methyl alcohool so).

Kara

It's mostly drunk really outside, at Christkindl market or -at this time, now- in football (soccer) stadiums. And there, you just eat a Bratwurst (grilled sausage) before or afterwards (on the Christkindl market some candied almonds ["Wiener Mandeln"] as well).

Quite interesting to know a little bit about the history of "Glühwein" (which is mulled wine, Joanne, in the English translation):

during the Middle Age, wine was cultivated primarily in Southern Germany, but they tried it as well here in Westphalia (we've got several street and countryside names 'wine-related'!), even as far north as Lübeck.
To call those wines 'sour' would be flattering, however. They only could be made drinkable by adding some spices and ... you get it! ... heating them.
These wines actually were the "national drink" in Germany at those times.
0 Replies

Peace and Love

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2002 03:55 pm
Thanks for the non-alcoholic recipe, Walter..... I'm going to my sister's house for Thanksgiving, and they do not drink alcohol. It will be very special to have this, especially because the recipe came from my A2K friend in Germany!!!

Very Happy
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2002 08:11 pm
Hi Walter. If I may, here's my Hungarian mother-in-law's version of a similar punch (pronounced poonch in Hungarian/American):

1 gallon of white wine (it goes fast on Christmas Eve)
1/2 gallon water
8 juice oranges
4 or 5 lemons
2 or 3 sticks cinammon
15 whole cloves
a cup or two sweet red wine (for color)
sugar to taste

Pour wine and water into large pot. Carefully peel rinds of all oranges and all lemons and add to the pot. Squeeze oranges and lemons and add juice to the pot as well. Throw in the cinammon, cloves and red wine. Bring the whole thing to a boil, cover and simmer for approximately 30 minutes. Add sugar to taste (one or more cups). Continue simmering for another 10-15 minutes. Serve warm (and with additional sugar for those who want it).

The aroma from this punch is heavenly and makes the entire house smell like Christmas (so you may want to keep it simmering long after it's 'done'). Also, be heating it, you are burning off all alcohol (I think). However, it can be made successfully substituting white and red grape juice for the wine.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2002 08:24 pm
Oh my. I had a truly frightening gluhwein experience in university. Almost a lost weekend. That stuff just tastes soooooooo good.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2002 09:38 pm
Yummmmmm, I want to try both Walter's recipes and Bandylu's. Might be another lost weekend, Beth.
0 Replies

ul

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 05:50 pm
Bandylu,
this is the way I prepare Glühwein.
Do you know also Feuerzangenbowle?

3 bottles of red wine (good quality, your head will be thankful)
juice of 2 oranges, 1 lemon
cinnamon stick
5 clover
warm up, but don't boil.
When it is hot, you put a sugar loaf over the pot,
pour rum (50%) over the sugar loaf, light the soaked sugar loaf and watch the flames and the melting and dripping sugar.

Walter, do you remember the movie?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 05:58 pm
Of course I do, ul! (And, indeed, I can't remember how often I've seen the film!)

Feuerzangenbowle - film/recipe
0 Replies

ul

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 06:11 pm
Great link.
My recipe is for about 6 people, I forgot to mention.
BTW- my grandmother didn't use orange juice. She spiced the orangepeel with clover and put it in the wine, added just lemon juice.
0 Replies