Should Children be arrested for hitting adults?

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2007 03:39 pm
Ok, more divulging....

I got into some trouble when I was 13. I was not forced to do community service. I was not punished for 5 years. The idea that a permanent record was looming over my head was enough to keep me out of trouble because I was a good kid who made a really dumb mistake.

My record was destroyed at 18.

Since that time....I've never committed another crime. I never shoplifted as a teenager. I never did anything else to warrent being punished for the next 5 years.

Yet you are saying I should have been punished to the full extent of the law at 13?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2007 04:01 pm
well, then you just take her out back and shoot her.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2007 04:02 pm
Ok.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2007 04:09 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
Yet you are saying I should have been punished to the full extent of the law at 13?

Whether you (or she) is punished to the fuill extent of the law is up to a judge to decide after looking at all the facts.

That has nothing however, to do with whether or not she should have been arrested. Trials (or ahearing as will likely be the case here) come AFTER the arrest.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2007 04:09 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
Ok, more divulging....

I got into some trouble when I was 13. I was not forced to do community service. I was not punished for 5 years. The idea that a permanent record was looming over my head was enough to keep me out of trouble because I was a good kid who made a really dumb mistake.

My record was destroyed at 18.

Since that time....I've never committed another crime. I never shoplifted as a teenager. I never did anything else to warrent being punished for the next 5 years.

It would probably keep most "deceit" kids out of trouble. However, I still think a child should be punished. It isn't enough just to not get into trouble again. I don't mean anything too drastic, but something like community service or a fine. Also, it really depends on what the crime is - for example getting caught shoplifting, a possible punishment alone would be to return the item with a verbal and written apology.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2007 04:13 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
Ok.

damn, stupid slow connection.

I meant the shooting thing about if she was a bad seed.... Shocked

In like your case where you never did anything wrong again....well, they didn't have a crystal ball to know that you wouldn't.

Frankly, looking at those 5 or 8 years in the big picture of your entire life span, I really don't see the harm in the lesson lasting that long.

If the kids a bad seed, you shoot them,

If the kid, like you, learned their lesson, that time reinforces it, and gives you a story to tell you kids about how you had to break up rocks on a rock pile for 5 years over an infraction. The 5 years of discipline didn't hurt you one bit. (ok, you know I'm kidding about the rock pile)

If you were the type who would have gone out and done wrong again, and didn't because of the punishment, well then, that's good.

It's not going to hurt, and it could very well help.

All this can be done in a non emotionally harmful way, but again, you make your bed, you lie in it. Even if it was a one time event, that correction time will be character building.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2007 04:14 pm
I was made to apologize in person (humiliating) and pay damages. Well, my parents did and then my parents punished me at home.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2007 04:16 pm
Chai wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:
Ok.

In like your case where you never did anything wrong again....well, they didn't have a crystal ball to know that you wouldn't.

Frankly, looking at those 5 or 8 years in the big picture of your entire life span, I really don't see the harm in the lesson lasting that long.

I know. Today is especially bad.

No they didn't. But because of the circumstances (never done anything wrong before, good grades, etc...) they put good faith in the fact that I was just a dumb kid.

5-8 years is a long time in a kids life.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2007 04:19 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
Chai wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:
Ok.

5 - 8 weeks is a long time in a kid's life.

I know. Today is especially bad.

No they didn't. But because of the circumstances (never done anything wrong before, good grades, etc...) they put good faith in the fact that I was just a dumb kid.

5-8 years is a long time in a kids life.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2007 05:20 pm
Lots of stuff we don't know here. This may have been a girl gang group, as described in other situations in the article JPB posted a link to. If so, it might be a scene where the young members are trying to get ranked by the older ones. Or... not.

The violence is problematic to me. She has at the least anger issues that need attention, and probably not just by parents... who may be part of the development of anger 'issues'.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 13 Feb, 2007 12:02 pm
Actually they were four sisters. The 10 year old was arrested because she was the one who was kicking the woman - the kicking was considered using a dangerous weapon - at least what I read according to the police.
0 Replies