The best soda ever!

Mamahani

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 03:27 pm
Oh, here it says, urge is only available in Norway Very Happy

This so funny; http://karks.com/surge/index.shtml

Coca-Cola, Swedish Family Fight Over Name
Posted - April 15, 2003 12:46pm

Stockholm,Sweden (AP) - The cola wars have entered a new dimension in Sweden.

This time, the Coca-Cola Co. isn't battling Pepsi-Cola International, but a family with the surname Urge. That also happens to the name of a citrus drink bottled by Coke that's available only in Norway.

Coke has registered the name as a trademark in Sweden, but not launched in there. In the United States, the caffeine-loaded drink is called Surge.

Members of the Urge family tried to repeal the trademark, concerned that their name would become associated with a soft drink.

Swedish law prohibits registration of trademarks that use someone else's family name. But the Court of Patent Appeals ruled in favor of Coca-Cola last month, saying the English word "urge" was more commonly known than the family name, which is pronounced "OOR-geh."

Members of the Urge family didn't immediately return calls seeking comment Tuesday.

There are six people in Sweden listed with the last name Urge, according to Statistics Sweden. Four of them are involved in the court case.

Richard Sjoeberg, a Coca-Cola spokesman in Sweden, declined to comment on the legal battle, saying it was a matter between patent authorities and the Urge family.

Surge was introduced in the United States in 1997 as an answer to Pepsi's Mountain Dew, but production was scaled back because of low demand, according to www.SaveSurge.org, a Web site run by Surge aficionados.

http://www.news8.net/news/stories/0403/83242.html
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 10:12 am
Phoenix- Sorry about your trouble with caffeine. I wish I couldn't drink caffeine. I am an addict. I would drink a gallon of diet coke a day if it were available and affordable. I wish they sold the syrup concentrate without the carbonated water. Tea is fine, but I don't care for coffee except in emergencies.
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 10:25 am
Just one? Impossible! I actually don't drink that much tonic, but I still have favorites.

Coca-Cola, especially in glass bottles, which tends to taste less sweet.
A & W Root Beer, though IBC is a nice second. Add ice cream and it doesn't get any better.
Black cherry soda.....mmmmmm....
For citrus, I like Polar Beverages Half & Half - I think it's half grapefruit and half orange.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 10:45 am
I miss Elder's Ginger Ale. It was a local bottler in my hometown. It got bought out/absorbed/murdered by one of the big guys about 20 years ago. Elder's was really gingery ginger ale. Mr. Gouda's isn't a bad replacement.

I love grapefruit pop. I think Ting is the one from Jamaica.

ohhhhhhhhh and real ginger beer. That stuff is dang fine.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 10:48 am
Yes, ginger beer is excellent - very gingery.
0 Replies

Violet Lake

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 11:10 am
I love the new vanilla Coke. Stewart's are good... I'm partial to the cream soda. There are a lot of odd regional brands that are tasty.

From other places... Inca Cola from Peru, Colombiana & Postobon sodas from Colombia. When I lived in the UK, I loved Rubicon Passionfruit soda. It's also available in Mango, Guava, Lychee, and Guanabana flavors now... yum Smile

I've also had delicious homemade sodas made from Italian syrups.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 03:57 pm
Remember "fizzies"? they made TERRIBLE fruit sodas, but they were fun. These were little discs of fruit flavoring that would effervesce in water and turn into a fruit soda. A Catholic friend of mine earned a couple centuries in Purgatory by putting them in the holy water font.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 12:26 pm
The Vanilla Coke tastes just like cream soda to me. Not a bad flavor, by any means, but it doesn't taste anything like Coke. Am I missing something in this regard?

Equus, I do remember Fizzies! They reminded me of Kool-Aid, a fun junk beverage that will forever be associated (in my mind, at least) with the horrible event at Jonestown...
0 Replies

Mamahani

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 03:14 pm
I find vanilla coke horrible Very Happy
0 Replies

Violet Lake

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 11:53 pm
horrible? I'm insulted Laughing
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 03:23 am
Dr. Pepper and Cheeriwine.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 06:09 am
As long as there is no caffeine, I enjoy sampling different flavors. Presently, B. and I occasionally share a can of Pepsi and a bag of popcorn.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 10:02 am
D'Artagnan:
The poor victims at Jonestown drank poisoned FLAVORAID, a competitor of Kool-Aid, essentially the same stuff though. Kool-Aid got a bad rap.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 10:13 am
So, is anybody else nervous about drinking Jones Soda? I find it a little creepy.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 10:23 am
Equus--Whoa! Thanks for the clarification. Now I feel bad about saying what I did about Kool Aid. Mea culpa!
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 12:18 pm
You know why there are so few jokes about the Jonestown massacre?
--Because the "punch" line is too long.
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 12:36 pm
Equus

A rousing second vote for Vernor's. At one time that was a regional midwestern drink, but is now available all over. I read an article once that proclaimed you had to be raised on it to tolerate it, and that the same was true of Dr. Pepper in the south. This is obviously not quite true, as I never tasted Dr. P until young adulthood, and liked it, and I know quite a few Vernor's converts with similar experiences.

The beauty of Vernor's is that it is so strongly carbonated you can leave a bottle open for days in the fridge and still get that fizz.

Although, frankly, all sodas are a little too sweet for me these days. And I have a caffeine problem too. Fortunately, we still have beer.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 12:40 pm
Don't know what the movie is, since I've only seen it appropriated in "Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid," but there's some movie where a sweaty fat man in a white suit walks up to the bar in some tropical locale and tells the bartender, "Nothin alcoholic. A beer, maybe."
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 12:45 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Dr. Pepper and Cheeriwine.

During a visit to No. Carolina a few summers ago, I noticed ads for Cheerwine. I asked friends about it, and they warned me off it. So, of course, I had to try one. I think it's one of those you-had-to-grow-up-here-to-like-it beverages.

Is this the one you mean, BPB?
http://www.cheerwine.com/
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 01:09 pm
That's the very one.....I really like it and I didn't grow up in the South... Of course now Mt. Dew has ripped off a great regional drink with Code Red...but it's still not as good as the original....
0 Replies