Favorite Documentaries.

Algis Kemezys

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2003 05:24 pm
What a good site LW !
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2003 06:42 pm
I like whatever the Discovery Channel puts on. c.i.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2003 08:44 pm
Yes to Hearts and Minds and Battle of Chile I.

Liked Les Blanc's Garlic. An early one for me was something about making silver spoons.. my mother took me to the public library on Thursday nights for that week's documentary, wish they'd start that again now!

All time most hated documentary, Jackie Kennedy's tour through India, or maybe it was Pakistan. It was shown at the same time Breakfast at Tiffany's was, and I saw that movie a lot, so saw Jackie's tour a lot. I'm sure it was the music I hated, might appreciate it now.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2003 06:53 am
I made lunch for Jackie O. once while working for Berenice Abbott. I captivated her with my ginger tea. Asking how to make it, I said" Jackie come on into to the kithchen with me and I'll personally show you the proportons". So we went to Berenice's kitchen and I showd her how to make Indonesian Ginger tea.
She was very warm and welcoming.Said she'd try it out back in NYC. The rest of the day was spent listening to her and Berenice talk and visiting Berenice's studio. While there Jackie picked up one of my favorite images of NYC by Berenice. It was an areal view looking straight down into the canyons of Wallstreet. We bonded over that picture .
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2003 08:36 am
There was quite a spirited debate about the Discovery's channel's "Walking With Cavemen" elsewhere but I enjoyed the documentary immensely, c.i. It was produced by the BBC where so many are born and find their way onto American TV. I wish they'd show more of the documentaries on the BBC America (endless re-runs of "Absolutely Fabulous" and "Keeping Up Appearances" could stand some competition).
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 08:39 pm
But, you must love that nutty Hyacinth.

Really.
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 06:25 am
Buena Vista Social Club -- Ry Cooder and son poke all around Cuba, digging up all the old jazz greats. Beautiful music. Superstar finale in Carnegie Hall. Poignant.

Don't Look Back -- The first rockumentary. Bob Dylan and Joan Baez tour England in gritty black and white. Interesting times.

Lou Reed: Rock and Rock Heart-- Sure, yeah, the Velvet Underground and Andy Warhols Factory. But check out the interviews: David Bowie, Jim Carrol, David Byrne, Sonic Youth members, Suzanne Vega, Patti Smith, John Cale, etc. Enigmatic.

This is Spinal Tap -- It's not really fiction if it was improvised right there without a script, now is it? Cameos by Billy Crystal, Bruno Kirby, Howard Hesseman, Dana Carvey, Paul Schaffer, Angelica Huston. "But it goes to eleven". "It's such a fine line between stupid and clever."
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 07:24 am
"Fast, Cheap and Out of Control" is one of my favorites too!

There is a new one out called "Spellbound" about spelling bees that is supposed to be great - I can't wait to see it.

"The Eyes of Tammy Faye" about the rise and fall of Jim and Tammy Bakker is pretty good if you overlook the silly segment introductions.

"Paradise Lost: The Child Murders at Robin Hood Hills" is a very scary look into the workings of the judicial system.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 07:44 am
Thanks all of the above. Looks like the range and diversity of this area of movie making is expanding and getting on. I forgot about spinal tap. The eyes of Tammy faye must be wonderfull seeing Jim never saw Tammy with out her makeup on.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 07:45 am
Codeberg your a pal you gave me those links. Thanx
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 07:13 am
Hoop Dreams was excellent and I really enjoyed Dogtown and Z-Boys too.
Felt like going out and buying myself a skateboard.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 07:35 pm
Z boys or not to zboy !
0 Replies