My favorite is Microcosm for imagery.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,656 • Replies: 31
No top replies

eoe

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 09:02 am
The Jazz documentary by that Burns guy. And I like the ones about monuments such as the Statue of Liberty and the Eiffel Tower.
I saw a very interesting documentary on NYC some years ago. There was no dialogue that I remember but music and street noise.
The documentary on Television was great. Also "Eyes on the Prize" about the civil rights movement.
Lots of favorite documentaries, apparently.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 09:07 am
thanks and nice avatar eoe !
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 09:10 am
Thanks!
KEN Burns. That's his name.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 10:26 am
There are many great documentaries. Some of the best I've seen are:

Night and Fog by Alain Ressnais, about the Nazi concentration camps.

The Wonderful, Horrible Life of Leni Riefenstahl, about the talented and troubled favorite filmmaker of Hitler; a strange, dark and yet extraordinary woman.

Hearts and Minds, the best documentary on Vietnam War.

To Die in Madrid, another wonderful war documentary, about the Spanish Civil War.

The Battle of Chile I, deep political analysis about class struggle and the preparations for the 1973 Coup d'Etat in Chile. (Battle of Chile II and Battle of Chile III are not as good: too ideological)

Harlan County U.S.A, a vivid rendering of how miners and their families lived a workers' strike in West Virginia.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 10:32 am
Animals are Beautiful People by Franco Zeffirelli
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 11:27 am
No shortage of fine things to watch I see. Thanks above.Animals are beautiful people sounds like my next viewing material.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 11:31 am
I watched it hundreds of times as a kid Algis, I have a few qualms with some staged and ficticious scenes (e.g. they make animals dance by repeating film) but the classical music is fantastic.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 11:34 am
This is a new film and has earned some excellent reviews: "Capturing the Friedmans". The subject matter is tough, but the film is really well done. A family is destroyed (or destroys itself, you be the judge), and it's all on film. I highly recommend it.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 11:52 am
Don't cry for me D'artagnana. The truth is......... I never........
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 12:02 pm
Not to worry, Algis. I never doubted you...
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 03:52 pm
I think Burns' Civil War elevated documentaries. It was beautifully done, IMO.

I saw this odd docu about Hollywood Cemetary....The Young and the Dead or some such. He, the young guy who bought the cemetary, is revolutionizing death Shocked Thought parts of it were cool--the interviews with some mentally ill peeps, who hang out at the cemetary... Related social change...
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 05:54 pm
Films by Errol Morris top my list.Errol Morris I 've seen Mr Death: The Rise and Fall of Fred A.Leuchter, Jr about aman who designs elctric chairs and other lethal devices and Gates of Heaven, about pet cemetaries.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 06:01 pm
Seems like we're on TV documentaries instead of theatrical. It's hard to place this subject, in Film or TV?

The Ken Burns transversal of the Lewis and Clarke story of the most incredible exploration feat of the last 500 years is one of my favorites.

"Hoop Dreams" in the theatrical releases and despite what some say is an indulgence, "Bowling For Columbine."
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2003 09:35 am
Hello Lightwizard ,

I think documentaries are evolving and I personally am going to try to give it a nudge.Lewis and Clarke must be very interesting as I heard Hoop Dreams was too. I love Cemeteries so I 'll check that one out too, Sofia. here's some a link so some of my old images. http://www.pbase.com/alkeme/cemetery__moments_1982_1989
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2003 12:34 pm
They will likely repeat the series on PBS in the "American Stories" now being broadcast every week on your local channel. You might check it out by going to www.pbs.com. "Jazz" was just repeated in its entirety with some added material (more music, which was my complaint on the first airing).
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2003 01:40 pm
"Cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny" is a future planned spoof to see how far I can take a documentary.
0 Replies

Belhaven

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2003 02:57 pm
Fast, Cheap and Out of Control by Errol Morris (Thin Blue Line) is pretty amazing. It starts out so innocuous, but as he weaves four different narratives into one, the tone changes into something that can only be described as creepy.

I also remember enjoying Hearts of Darkness, a documentary of the making of Apocalyse Now made by Francis Ford Coppola's wife.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2003 03:29 pm
Two great documentaries, Belhaven, and

Welcome to A2K

I actually like "Hearts of Darkness" better than the movie itself!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2003 03:31 pm
Another favorite of mine and in my collection is "Theremin" about the inventor of the first electronic musical instrument and the history of the device (almost difficult to call it an instrument!)

A link:

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0108323
0 Replies