Microwave Smells! (gotta do something about this!)

Reply Sat 10 Feb, 2007 02:36 am
Hi everybody! Ok...

The smell inside this microwave is double sick now, I aint lie'n !

Anyone know some trick to get rid of this smell, like the baking soda in the 'fridge trick? Its a decent appliance, allways did its job perfectly, but the thing is a complete waste now... unless i can remove the smell. (It gets into the food being cooked in it.)

(My little girl reports that her big brother burnt up a pair of socks in it tryin' to dry em.) Confused
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 844 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 10 Feb, 2007 03:53 am
Try cutting up some lemons and put them in a microwaveable bowl (not plastic, glass preferred) and cover them halfway with water. Put in microwave and cook for about 10 minutes. The water will boil and produce lemon scented steam. Let it cool down for about 5 minutes then use oven mits to remove the bowl and set aside. Watch for rapid temperature change when doing so to prevent the bowl from cracking.

Wipe down the entire inside of the microwave with clean cloth and leave the door open for an hour or two to let it air dry.

If that doesn't do it, the smoke from the burned sock material has probably permeated the microwave insulation and there isn't much to be done about it.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 10 Feb, 2007 05:51 am
The problem is that all plastics, like the inside of your microwave, are permeable, so the smell is in the plastic.

Ten minutes in probably too long a time to boil the lemons. Just watch the bowl through the window, when the water is boiling well, shut off the microwave. Leave the door shut for ten minutes to let the bowl and the lemon steam to cool down.

Wipe out the insides of the oven. Airdry with the door open for a couple of hours.
====

If this doesn't work there are other odor removers. OUT is one, it removes all kinds of organic smelly smells (including the always difficult cat pee) http://i.walmart.com/i/p/00/01/02/79/70/0001027970105_215X215.jpgor you can try MEX (a powder non-TSP version of TSP). http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:ziHW3wuP1vbGhM:http://www.ugl.com/images/MainMexCln.gif

better still is Oxiclean.

Just mix up a solution of any of these, any swab out the insides of the oven two or three times.

=====

Butterfly is right about the smoke in the insulation, but the good news is that microwaves are fairly cheap and you can dock the kid's allowance for three years to pay for it.

Joe(burned sock flavor with your popcorn...eeewww)Nation
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 10 Feb, 2007 07:25 am
I'm a great believer in both Baking Soda Active and Baking Soda Passive.

First scour with Baking Soda and then leave a little dish of dry baking soda to sop up lingering odors.

At least the vain young man didn't set the house on fire.
0 Replies