Long Day's Journey into Night

nextone

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 08:25 pm
Had the good fortune to see this incarnation of O'Neill's play...Dennehy, Redgrave, Hoffman, Leonard held me for the 4+ hours, and saved the very best for the last act. Increasingly a physical challenge to sit in an older Broadway theater, no ergonomic seats, no legroom, but the immediacy of the experience is so worth it.

I was especially moved by Hoffman's Jamie. Would love to talk with anyone who's seen this production.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,605 • Replies: 3
No top replies

mac11

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 09:28 pm
You're so lucky, nextone! I know the play, but haven't had the good fortune to see the current production. I would love to hear more about your experience.
0 Replies

nextone

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 12:54 am
This production was critically acclaimed, to put it mildly, and won the Tony as Best Revival Drama. Vanessa Redgrave and Brian Dennehy won for Best Actress, Best Actor. Philip Hoffman and Sean Leonard were both nominated for Tony's. Had never seen the play before and was especially motivated to go because of the cast. Went and stood on line at the box office back in May, wanted first row mezzanine..sold out for entire run. Settled for Row G Mezzanine.

The play began at 7:00 p.m. No curtain. You get to absorb a wonderfully designed set:Stage right (Audience's left) writing desk, at the rear glimpse of kitchen, at rear glimpse of a study, one large chair, the diningroom, stage center/right massive round table, four mismatched chairs. Center/left a chaise lounge. Edge left window seat alcove, windows showing a smidge of exterior. Rear left (Audience's right) Front entry with a mirrored coat rack.

Quite a lot to look at.

Voices off, and enter James and Mary Tyrone , Dennehy and Redgrave. And you're caught in their life, their strugle and the struggle of their sons. Hints of exposition, radiant glimmerings of discontent and disconnect, but how connected this family is and it never stops. The wonderful interplay between husband and wife, father to son/s, brother to brother, mother to son/s.

Present problems, past causations. Each person is so well formed, so real, ultimately so sympathetic for all her/his flaws. And for all the horrror, "Mother's in the spare room." Edmund's illness, James' fear of poverty,sense of personal failure, James Jr so unloved....there is still humor, black and blacker. The play is darkening as the day goes from breakfast through the early hours of the next day, but at the end, each person's inner darkness,inner light is illumunated. We know them, love and pity each one. We connect.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 07:31 am
Thanks, nextone.

I find this play all the more moving because it's based on O'Neill's family. You know that these are people he knows and loves, not just characters from his head. I would love to see this cast perform it. I wonder if it will be filmed for TV? It would be less powerful on film/tape, but better than missing it all together.
0 Replies