Atheists....a question, if I may:

Reply Wed 7 Feb, 2007 04:00 pm
In another thread, Fresco linked to a tape of a discussion about an attempt by Spinoza to prove that God does not exist.

Since I will not be able to question or debate Spinoza on his take, I chose not to take time to listen to it …and therefore, I do not know if Spinoza's thesis was aimed at the God of the Bible…or gods in general.

In any case, I certainly am not looking for anyone to offer proof that there are no gods…mostly because I consider the job to be impossible. I may be wrong on that, but it seems to me to be an impossible notion.

Atheists continue to indicate that they came to their atheism because of logic, reason, and an impartial, objective inspection of the evidence…and, as a result of that evidence, have reasonable and logically concluded there are no gods.

For over 35 years of debate on this issue (more than 10 on the Internet), I have asked scads of atheists for the "evidence" (not the proof) they considered in order to determine that gods do not exist…and I have NEVER truly had a single piece of evidence offered in response.

Mostly, I hear about teapots, unicorns, leprechauns, flying spaghetti monsters, and CPA'a working on a moon of Saturn. And variations on the twin themes: "Theists cannot produce a god for inspection" and "There is no need for a god to explain existence"…neither of which is truly evidence that no gods exist.

Is there at least one atheist in this forum who will present a list of the pieces of evidence that logically and reasonably lead him/her to the conclusion that there are no gods?

Short of that…is there at least one atheist in this forum who will present a list of the pieces of evidence that logically and reasonably lead him/her to the conclusion that "the soul does not exist" or "there is no afterlife?"

I suspect that the atheistic positions of "There are no gods"; "Humans do not have souls"; "There is no afterlife"….are nothing more than blind, unsubstantiated guesses identical to the blind, unsubstantiated guesses made by theists….except in the opposite direction.

Who has got something to offer?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 5,503 • Replies: 90
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 7 Feb, 2007 04:16 pm
I am a simple atheist because it's too much work/effort to be an agnostic, I don't care enough to put the effort into defending/rationalizing agnostic reasoning and generally people avoid me when I just say "I'm an atheist"
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 7 Feb, 2007 04:20 pm
good grief frank, I thought you more sensible than this.

Its not possible to prove a negative. The best we can do is negate a positive.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 7 Feb, 2007 04:21 pm
I look forward to seing where this is going. Nothing to offer though, since it seems to me that you are absolutely right in what you say in the final paragraph of your post.

However, I think it is most strange that atheists, who are so hellbent on disproving the notion of god, do not ask for a definition of what god is. Seems to me this would be a crucial step in disproving anything; to have a clear idea of what it is.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 7 Feb, 2007 04:21 pm
too lazy to give a **** one way or another in other words, Dys. We could be close friends if we liked each other, weren't a couple of ass holes, and gave a **** about having friends.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 7 Feb, 2007 04:32 pm
Steve 41oo wrote:
good grief frank, I thought you more sensible than this.

Its not possible to prove a negative. The best we can do is negate a positive.

Steve...I specifically said I was not looking for a PROOF...correct?

Actually, it is possible to prove a negative...but often it is very, very difficult...especially with something like a god...or anything being "anywhere in the universe"...because of the magnitude of the problem.

But a reasonably sized negative can be proved.

Get a matchbox...and state the negative...when I open this matchbox, there will not be an elephant in it.

Then prove it.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 7 Feb, 2007 04:37 pm
BUT I EMPHASIZE THAT I AM NOT LOOKING FOR PROOF...

...I am simply asking atheists to present all the evidence that they claim overwhelmingly shows that there are no gods in this universe...which makes their guess so much more sophisticated and science based than the theistic guess.

EVIDENCE...not proof. AND EVIDENCE THAT THERE ARE NO GODS...not that it is possible there are no gods.
0 Replies

Foley

Reply Wed 7 Feb, 2007 05:23 pm
Excellent post. Most atheists I meet do nothing but say, "The Big Bang created the universe, not some crazy giant man floating in space who is invisible! Ha ha!" When I explain that I have a belief that reflects forms of Hinduism, they say, "I'm not part of one giant living God!"

Their "proof" is that science explains the universe... And when I ask them how the universe was before the Big Bang, according to science, they usually say "I dunno. I know there's no God though."

I'd like to see some real evidence as well.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Wed 7 Feb, 2007 05:26 pm
Re: Atheists....a question, if I may:
Frank Apisa wrote:
Atheists continue to indicate that they came to their atheism because of logic, reason, and an impartial, objective inspection of the evidence…and, as a result of that evidence, have reasonable and logically concluded there are no gods.

This atheist after examining the evidence simply sees no reason to have a belief in any God and until such time as convincing evidence of a God is presented, this atheist shall remain without a god or gods.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 7 Feb, 2007 05:37 pm
I done tole ya, Frank.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 7 Feb, 2007 05:56 pm
Re: Atheists....a question, if I may:
mesquite wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:

This atheist after examining the evidence simply sees no reason to have a belief in any God and until such time as convincing evidence of a God is presented, this atheist shall remain without a god or gods.

Actually...some do that.

But some go much further...and insist there are no gods.

It is to that...that I direct this thread.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 7 Feb, 2007 06:06 pm
For the many-th time, I am without theism, that is, a-theistic, without belief in a god or gods. That is NOT the same thing as active belief that there are no gods - that would be a secondary step that I have no interest in.

You always equate the two, Frank, though at least five of us have explained it to you repeatedly over time.

I owe you no explanation. I am not - as you tend to aver at least in implication if not direct name calling - a coward, or moron, or assh-le, or jerk.

Have fun with your thread.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 7 Feb, 2007 06:12 pm
ossobuco wrote:
For the many-th time, I am without theism, that is, a-theistic, without belief in a god or gods. That is NOT the same thing as active belief that there are no gods - that would be a secondary step that I have no interest in.

You always equate the two, Frank, though at least five of us have explained it to you repeatedly over time.

I owe you no explanation. I am not - as you tend to aver at least in implication if not direct name calling - a coward, or moron, or assh-le, or jerk.

Have fun with your thread.

That is not the etymology of the word atheist, Ossobucco! That is merely the excuse pretend atheists use for stealing the agnostic stance and pretending it is an atheistic one.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 7 Feb, 2007 06:30 pm
I know, I know, we have been through all that before. Why would I care what Webster's and word ferreters wrote down when? A-theism is basic latin derived word and I took four years of the language, back when I did believe in a god. As you seem to acknowledge in your post before that, some fair number of people agree with my take on the word, first time I've noticed you acknowledge that.

My name is not Osso 'Bucko', by the way, no matter how many people at a2k spell it that way (some of the neatest, sigh, and whatever the amusing implications).

In line with dys, I don't have the energy to put to pretending to be something. You are typing in the world of your own conjecture.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 7 Feb, 2007 08:42 pm
ossobuco wrote:
I know, I know, we have been through all that before. Why would I care what Webster's and word ferreters wrote down when? A-theism is basic latin derived word and I took four years of the language, back when I did believe in a god.

Well if you did...you would realize that Latin has absolutely nothing to do with it. The word derives from the Greek...through French (no Latin)...and the etymology is: "a"=without + "theos"=gods...and means, without gods. And I needn't point out that one cannot be "without gods" without asserting there are no gods.

Quote:

As you seem to acknowledge in your post before that, some fair number of people agree with my take on the word, first time I've noticed you acknowledge that.

I have acknowledged that dozens upon dozens of times...and I consider it hypocrisy. If in fact your atheism stops with merely having a lack of belief in gods...and you want to identify yourself...you ought to use "agnostic" or even better "non-theist_...not atheist, which has an historical meaning of denial of gods.

Quote:

My name is not Osso 'Bucko', by the way, no matter how many people at a2k spell it that way (some of the neatest, sigh, and whatever the amusing implications).

Actually, I wrote Ossobucco. Sorry about the extra "c." I truly did not mean it as an insult or slight...nor was I trying to express any kind of amusing implications. I just screwed up. It happens from time to time...although I honestly hoped I would not make this year's mistake this early in the year. Puts lots of pressure on the balance.
0 Replies

Raul-7

Reply Wed 7 Feb, 2007 08:57 pm
Foley wrote:
Excellent post. Most atheists I meet do nothing but say, "The Big Bang created the universe, not some crazy giant man floating in space who is invisible! Ha ha!" When I explain that I have a belief that reflects forms of Hinduism, they say, "I'm not part of one giant living God!"

Their "proof" is that science explains the universe... And when I ask them how the universe was before the Big Bang, according to science, they usually say "I dunno. I know there's no God though."

I'd like to see some real evidence as well.

Do not the Unbelievers see that the heavens and the earth were joined together (as one unit of creation), before We clove them asunder? We made from water every living thing. Will they not then believe? (Qur'an 21:30)
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Thu 8 Feb, 2007 12:00 am
Based on the concept of logic I have this to offer.

The dictionary defines something as being "logical" as being "Based on earlier or otherwise known statements, events, or conditions; reasonable: Rain was a logical expectation, given the time of year."

As we have no prior evidence or record of a god like being, we also have no recorded evidence of anything being supernatural.

Thus it would be unreasonable to claim that such a being could exist. It is then completely reasonable and logical to say that such a being does not exist.

The existence of a god is not anymore logical than the existence of planets made out of Belgian Chocolate. Both are equally illogical.

Surely a god is inherently a contradiction of current established records in regards to physics and the laws of nature.

The dictionary defines a "god" as:
A being conceived as the perfect, omnipotent, omniscient originator and ruler of the universe, the principal object of faith and worship in monotheistic religions and the force, effect, or a manifestation or aspect of this being. A being of supernatural powers or attributes, believed in and worshiped by a people, especially a male deity thought to control some part of nature or reality. Being both omniscient and omnipotent is a logical fallacy and have major internal contradictions. Being supernatural by definition means that you are contradicting the established laws of nature.

The ONLY logical conclusion is that a god(s) do not exist. A god could never have existed in the past as the laws of nature had to be different, in order for the god to be able to exist. This would no longer make IT a god as IT would not be "supernatural" but simply natural. The same would count for the future existence of god. Because the concept contradicts the logically established principles and laws of physics and nature, one can logically say a god never existed, does not exist and could never exist.

Based on my argument above, the laws of nature had to change to enable an unnatural being to exist. There could thus never be a god as it would then become a natural being and thus no longer be a god by definition. It would have to subscribe to the laws of nature and physics in order to exist, which would disqualify it from being a god in the first place.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 8 Feb, 2007 01:05 am
Frank Apisa wrote:
And I needn't point out that one cannot be "without gods" without asserting there are no gods.

Why, though? One can be without, say, elephants, while asserting that there are indeed elephants. Why couldn't one be without gods while asserting that there are gods. Merely, their existence would be irrelevant to them.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 8 Feb, 2007 05:49 am
InfraBlue wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
And I needn't point out that one cannot be "without gods" without asserting there are no gods.

One cannot assert there may be gods, if one has not bought into a belief in gods, despite protests to the contrary.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 8 Feb, 2007 08:33 am
CerealKiller wrote:
Based on the concept of logic I have this to offer.

Thank you, CK…for actually dealing with the question rather than doing the end run most people attempt.

Quote:
The dictionary defines something as being "logical" as being "Based on earlier or otherwise known statements, events, or conditions; reasonable: Rain was a logical expectation, given the time of year."

The dictionary defines logical in many ways…but I am willing to use this one. I do want to point out, however, that using it does not suppose that anything falling outside this parameter is, perforce, ILLOGICAL! "Black holes" "strings…as in string theory" "quantum particles"…were NEVER illogical even though at one time, they fell outside the definition of logical as outlined in this usage.

Quote:
As we have no prior evidence or record of a god like being, we also have no recorded evidence of anything being supernatural.

This would be a good time to mention that I despise the use of the word "supernatural" to describe a god. It is an inherent impossibility…like a square circle. If a god exists…then by definition, it is a part of nature. We humans obviously do not know the entire of NATURE at this time…and even things like the so-called "laws of physics" are recognized by scientists as possible non-absolutes. (Scientists are unsure, for instance, that the so-called laws of physics are uniform throughout the universe…and do not know if they apply at all in any alternate dimensions. )

Some dictionaries actually define "nature" as "a creative and controlling force in the universe"…or " the external world in its entirety"…which would, in turn, define any gods that exist as part of nature.

In short, the "supernatural" thing is much overdone.

Quote:
Thus it would be unreasonable to claim that such a being could exist. It is then completely reasonable and logical to say that such a being does not exist.

Where does that come from??? It does not follow from what you wrote.

Quote:
The existence of a god is not anymore logical than the existence of planets made out of Belgian Chocolate. Both are equally illogical.

You were on to something…but now you've gone off track.

Tidy up what you started with if you think it can be worked into a reasonable argument…and we'll discuss it.

Quote:
Surely a god is inherently a contradiction of current established records in regards to physics and the laws of nature.

To make such an assertion, you would have to make a convincing argument that we humans know all "the laws of nature" and that what we consider to be physics…actually is all there is to the mechanics of the universe. There is not a reputable scientist working today who would make such an assertion.

Quote:
The dictionary defines a "god" as:
A being conceived as the perfect, omnipotent, omniscient originator and ruler of the universe, the principal object of faith and worship in monotheistic religions and the force, effect, or a manifestation or aspect of this being. A being of supernatural powers or attributes, believed in and worshiped by a people, especially a male deity thought to control some part of nature or reality. Being both omniscient and omnipotent is a logical fallacy and have major internal contradictions. Being supernatural by definition means that you are contradicting the established laws of nature.

A dictionary tells us how words are generally used…and certainly this is how God is often used.

Quote:
The ONLY logical conclusion is that a god(s) do not exist.

The ONLY logical conclusion is that we do not know if gods exist or not…and that the evidence for and against the existence of gods is incredibly ambiguous.

Quote:
A god could never have existed in the past as the laws of nature had to be different, in order for the god to be able to exist. This would no longer make IT a god as IT would not be "supernatural" but simply natural. The same would count for the future existence of god. Because the concept contradicts the logically established principles and laws of physics and nature, one can logically say a god never existed, does not exist and could never exist.

Based on my argument above, the laws of nature had to change to enable an unnatural being to exist. There could thus never be a god as it would then become a natural being and thus no longer be a god by definition. It would have to subscribe to the laws of nature and physics in order to exist, which would disqualify it from being a god in the first place.

Wonderful try…and perhaps the beginning of a logical and reasonable piece of evidence.

I would suggest…encourage…you to work on it…and tidy it us considerably. I also would suggest that you aim more for establishing it as a piece of evidence rather than the MUCH, MUCH, MUCH, MUCH more difficult "establishing it as a proof."

It needs lots of work to become evidence that "no-gods" makes more sense than "gods" (as it is, it pretty much is an amalgam variation on both the non-evidence I mentioned earlier)…but it shows promise.

You actually did not mention if you are an atheist or not, CK. Are you an atheist...or is this just an intellectual exercise for you?
0 Replies