Atheists....a question, if I may:

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2007 03:01 pm
Jl, I've heard that one before.

One said, the flag moves.
The other said, the wind moves.
Then the master came and said, the mind moves.

I mention it because I remember the impact that short exchange had on me. Really made me think..
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2007 05:23 pm
Smile
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2007 05:33 pm
Mesquite, just add the words "alzheimer brain" and "alzheimer minds" to my statement.
Let me do that now:

Can we imagine an ALZHEIMER mental experience (mind or minding) without an ALZHEIMER brain? And can we imagine knowledge or experience of an alzheimer brain-object without an alzheimer mind?
Perhaps the relation is reciprocal: an alzheimer mind is a function of an alzheimer brain and an alzheimer brain WOULD be the function of an alzheimer mind IF the latter could generate such a conception.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 11:52 am
Cyracuz wrote:
I never thought the day would come, but I agree with real life.

Brain and mind are not the same. We know that the relationship between the two is mutual. A lobotomy of the brain affects the mind. But in reverse, changes in the mind affect the brain.

Perhaps I should rethink my position. Laughing

Good to hear from you Cyracuz.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 12:38 pm
Cryacuz, I too agree that "mind" and "brain" are different, but they are diiferent only in the sense that they are concepts referring to complementary aspects of unitary relationships--more like two sides of a single coin than a quarter and a dime. Each cannot be without the other; they are mutually dependent (interdepenent).

I wish Fresco would comment on this.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 12:49 pm
Someone might conclude that there may exist a brain wilthout a mind but never a mind without a brain. I share the latter assumption but not the former conclusion. A dead "brain" is only a lump of matter; without the activity or function of mind-ing it is not really, or no longer, a brain in the full sense of the concept.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 01:26 pm
Back to the topic for a minute - I don't know if there's a God (or more than one), but the main thing is that I don't care. Is there a name for someone who doesn't care?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 01:34 pm
careless....carefree

Smile
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 01:56 pm
Mame wrote:
Back to the topic for a minute - I don't know if there's a God (or more than one), but the main thing is that I don't care. Is there a name for someone who doesn't care?

Check this out:

Quote:
Apatheism is a portmanteau neologism (a haplology combining apathy with either atheist or theist) for the position that God may exist but is of no real importance to one's daily life. It was used by columnist Jonathan Rauch in The Atlantic Monthly in 2003. There is also a satiric web page with the title "The Church of Apatheism". There are also instances of the term being used on message boards and other Internet venues as early as July 2000.

Apatheism is not synonymous to atheism, but is rather a particular form of agnosticism, in the sense that it holds that the question whether or not God exists may be meaningfully asked, but is not worth asking.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 02:59 pm
Beautiful, Phoenix! Thank you Laughing That describes me to a T.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 04:04 am
JLNobody wrote:
Someone might conclude that there may exist a brain wilthout a mind but never a mind without a brain. I share the latter assumption but not the former conclusion. A dead "brain" is only a lump of matter; without the activity or function of mind-ing it is not really, or no longer, a brain in the full sense of the concept.

This is how I see it too.

But I have this totally unsubstantiated idea that both mind and brain are "tools" for something else. Brain evolves through time, but so does mind. The evolution of one provokes the evolution of the other.

And now I have to introduce a mythical entity that is as hotly debated over as the existence of god; the soul.

The soul is not sentient. It is not intelligent, and it is not emotional. All these are qualities of mind/brain. The soul is merely the mystical force that makes cells in a living organism divide and reproduce. It is the same in all creatures, but in a more complex creature the soul is more fully expressed.

Like I said, this is only a notion I like to play with sometimes, and I make no claim that any of it is true. It is merely a way to categorize the aspects of a living creature.
This idea of mine includes reincarnation too, but that is an elaborate subject, and even more off topic, so I will not go into it here.

Perhaps I'll start a thread about it...
0 Replies