Vacation Plans -- United Kingdom

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 02:00 pm
Hotel in Point Barrow seems fine Piffka.

Except for the bear. And the bits of chopped up seal.

As its inside the Arctic Circle, did you sit in the hotle foyer and watch the sun go round the hotel?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 02:14 pm
What, McTag is leaving on his Highland Fling tomorrow? (Gads, that isn't quite the German I learned in school!)

Walter -- thanks for the lucious 360 photos. I've been enjoying each one, only coming back here to offer my gratitude!

Was surprised at the snow on Calton Hill since it said it was a live camera, but I think live from 1998. I dunno. We had snow in the hills when we were near Dornie so it COULD be real.

Anyway, thanks!

And McTag, whenever it is you're going -- Have a super trip!
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 04:27 pm
Piffka wrote:
What, McTag is leaving on his Highland Fling tomorrow? (Gads, that isn't quite the German I learned in school!)

...McTag, whenever it is you're going -- Have a super trip!

I'm pretty sure that's not what I wrote! But who knows?

We are leaving on Saturday 18th October. Thanks very much for the good wishes, Piff. I'll report later....maybe Fiona will, too, she's been quiet lately, at least on A2K.

McT
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 05:22 pm
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
Hotel in Point Barrow seems fine Piffka.

Except for the bear. And the bits of chopped up seal.

As its inside the Arctic Circle, did you sit in the hotle foyer and watch the sun go round the hotel?

Sorry Steve, I guess our posts crossed. It was amazingly fine for being where it was. The bear bothers you? Stuffed and under glass? So many tourists had their photo taken next to it! The chopped up seal isn't so bad; it was the large whale carcasses on the beach that really smell.

About the circling sun, no. The foyer was on the northwest corner so I couldn't see it all and never, surprisingly noticed where the sun was, except that it didn't set. Truly, it was usually overcast. Once I did notice some Eskimo toddlers playing in the street outside our apartment. It seemed like broad daylight but it was 3am. Where was their mother? <shrugs>
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 05:36 pm
McTag wrote:
Maennerabend heute...bald geht es los!

Maennerabend heute? I thought heute abend meant this evening. I dunno what maenner means - a week hence?

Anyway, you're leaving is not yet imminent. I'm happy for you, that you get to make this trip. Wish I could be going back myself. Have a good safe journey. Would love to hear Fiona's report!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 07:22 pm
So, today I brought a new cd into work and we had it on loud, or sort of loud, through our afternoon's endeavors (designing deck, dealing with phone company) and I thought of you, Piffka and friends - it was Mendelsohn's Scottish and Italian symphonies...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 07:26 pm
I really love Mendelsohn's violin concerto. Wink
0 Replies

bree

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 07:33 pm
And I love Mendelssohn's Italian Symphony. The opening bars of the first movement used to be the theme music of some radio show I used to listen to (can't remember which one), so the music is permanently burned into my brain. I'm humming it even as I type. I'll have to dig out my old LP (anyone else still have LPs, and a turntable to play them on?) and give it a spin.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 08:12 pm
Gosh, Ossobuco, I don't know either of these, but will be checking around for them. Thanks! for thinking of the Scotland trip.

<waving> Hi Bree!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 10:49 pm
Yes, Bree, I invested in a Bang and Olafsen turntable just as records were going out....
My giant speakers are long gone, but I have managed to connect the turntable to a wee but good little cd, etc. system.

Back to the Scottish and Italian Symphonies... I like them both, and they both work well when I am driving through the 150 miles of redwood forest in light mist.......
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 11:44 pm
Piffka wrote:
McTag wrote:

Maennerabend heute? I thought heute abend meant this evening. I dunno what maenner means - a week hence?

Maenner is just a plural of "Man" and it look better with an umlaut "a".

What I wrote to Walter, loosely translated, was

"Thanks a lot. It's the lad's night out tonight, starting soon. Bye."
(Walter has been on one, and knows the guys I was meeting. He knows just how exciting these evenings can be. :wink: )

Thanks for everyone's good wishes about our trip. We are getting a bit more excited now. We're starting off on Saturday night at the Mariott, Newcastle. Fiona wants to see the recent developments in the centre of that city. Then, we turn our bonnet (hood) northwards.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 12:21 am
McTag wrote:
Piffka wrote:
McTag wrote:

Maenner is just a plural of "Man" and it look better with an umlaut "a".

What I wrote to Walter, loosely translated, was

"Thanks a lot. It's the lad's night out tonight, starting soon. Bye."
(Walter has been on one, and knows the guys I was meeting. He knows just how exciting these evenings can be. :wink: )

Usually, the singular of 'Männer' is written 'Mann' :wink:

And we would actually calle the event, McTag was celbrating, a "Stammtisch" - regular pub meeting. (You know, talking about all those serious things like football, football and football, how things were better when there was only black 'n white tv, what the he** these six inches of clothes are called, the waitress is wearing ...) :wink:
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 08:16 am
I'm giggling at how well that "bald" may fit into the "meeting", but thanks for the lesson auf Deutsch, both of you!

Newcastle City Centre...
http://www.graeme-peacock.com/i_photos/i_06.jpg
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 10:38 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Usually, the singular of 'Männer' is written 'Mann' :wink:

Well, if I had been writing in German of course, I would have written "Mann". :wink:

Actually it was a mistake, which I realised I had made as I drove into work this morning. Which quite spoilt my day.

Man tut, was man kann, und was man nicht kann, laesst lieber an anderen.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 01:09 pm
Well, my homemade teutonic aphorism went down like a lead balloon.
Now, Onward! Are you ready for McTag's trip? We're off on Saturday. Question: can I ride piggyback on Piffka's thread (this one) or shall I start a new one of my own? I think it would be better to stay here, if Piffka doesn't mind. Somehow I think I know the answer.

On Saturday, we're starting with a little bit of luxury and sybaritic living at the Marriott, in north Newcastle. That will enable us to examine the new waterfront development of that fair city, and be a good jumping-off point for Edinburgh and Fife.
This week, I have been making tentative preparations with the purchase of a new dressing gown (is that a bathrobe in America?) which is rather a posh one although I do say it myself, and two pairs of strides (pants, I think....but much grander, that word hardly does them justice. Smile )

More later. The game's afoot!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 02:08 pm
It's not that I didn't appreciate your Teutonicism, I was just afraid to comment and come up wanting in the vocabulary department once again. (I got the first part, it was the last phrase that stumped me.)

As to using this thread... of course! It fits for you, too -- Vacation Plans in the UK, right? So carry on, McT. I've heard of dressing gown but never strides -- if asked, I would have said those were shoes. My advice, remember your waterproof boots and bring a boot brush.

I'm sure we'll all be tagging along, vicariously enjoying the ride. :wink:
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 02:24 pm
Speaking of Teutonicism, McTag, I think, Ulla would suppose this book
http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/3499132079.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
as "Reiselektüre" Laughing

http://www.met-office.gov.uk/climate/uk/location/scotland/images/rainfall.gif
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 07:58 am
McTaggies

I tried to make some wine from grapes on the back of our house (sounds exotic...but it isnt) but homemade teutonic aphorism sounds great.

Have a good time :wink:
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 09:47 am
Gee Steve, we picked grapes in our field last Sunday. They're 40-year-old vines that have gone wild for the last twenty years and scrambled up a tree. Not so well-kept as yours, I'm sure. Are you really making wine? English wine... who'd have thought it?

It took me a bit to figure out Walter's y-axis was in mm's. McTags are going to Lerwick? February or April may be drier times to visit! Cool
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 09:57 am
Steve's vineyard and the grapes really look impressive (100% due to Mrs. Steve's care), but as far as I have heard, even "British wine"* tastes like 'Grand cru' compared to "41oo Spätlese" Laughing

English Wine
(It's a "century wine" in England this year, I've heard on German radio!)

*Wines which state "English" on the label are grown from grapes actually grown in England, whereas wines labelled "British" are produced from imported, unfermented grape juice. The latter cannot be described as "English" wine.
0 Replies