Vacation Plans -- United Kingdom

Piffka

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 08:09 pm
The good news: Mr. Piffka says we CAN go to the UK this September. Very Happy
The bad news: He can only be gone for one week plus two weekends. Sad

My job is to plan a fabulous, fun-packed vacation. My first thought is to fly straight to Edinburgh for the first weekend, enjoy a week in the Highlands, fly back to London for the ending weekend. Dates will likely be September 18-29th. We spent two weeks in Scotland in 2001, so maybe I should be looking somewhere else... but where? I am wondering if I should be looking at Ayrshire, Fife or The North instead of the Highlands. Obviously we can't do them all. Maybe we should go to Ireland or the Lake District or someplace I haven't even considered.

We happily use trains but will likely rent a car for touring. Cool

Because of the time constraints, I don't want to spend a lot of time traveling about. I'd love to stay in some wonderful spot and enjoy a bit of day-tripping. We are casual folk who like to walk, visit historical museums, gardens, and national trust sites, the older the better. We're not interested in shopping, clubbing or fancy restaurants. We do like pubs & single malt.

Help! I need to make some decisions about what to do, where to stay. Do you have any grand ideas? Please tell me!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 32,161 • Replies: 524
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 08:21 pm
Pifka, Have you ever been to London? If not, that would be my highest of recommendations. It has some of the best museums in the whole world - bar none! Walking? You can walk your heart out, and you can do several London Walks. Don't miss the British Museum. Although one can spend the whole week there, make it a whole day event to include the British Library. You'll see some of the most amazing artifacts the world has ever produced. c.i.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 08:47 pm
Yep. Been to London ages ago and twice since 2000. Love it; truly love it. That's why I want to spend the last weekend there. I enjoy just walking around, riding the double decker buses at night and the boat rides on the Thames. We'll also visit Kew Gardens & probably have lunch at the B.Museum, probably take in one play - but which one? Mr. Piffka is also insisting on visiting the museums in Greenwich. That'll just about take up all our time there.

What about the Lake District, CI? Have you been there? What's it like? Or... have you visited Winston Churchill's family estate?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 09:05 pm
Never been to the Lake District. However, Mr P's choice of the two major museums in Greenwich are good choices. The Maritime Museum and the National Observatory can keep you busy for the whole day. You can either take the boat up on the Thames or take the train. While you are there, you may wish to visit the Cutty Sark. When I visited the Maritime Museum last March which I tied in with the A2K London Gathering, I saw the Charles Darwin display that sort of laid out the foundation for my visit to the Galapagos Islands in May of this year. There's also a painting of Captain Cook's demise by the Polynesians which I first saw many years ago that sort of tied in with my visit to Kuaui where they have a monument to Captain Cook. I looked for that painting in March, and it's still there. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 09:43 pm
Then we'll look for them, too. I was a volunteer guide on Cook's HM Bark Endeavour replica when it was in Gig Harbor, a fine craft. We'll probably go down to Greenwich by boat. Did you know you can also go up to Kew by boat? Have you ever seen the Evolution House there? It's a nice exhibit.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 09:58 pm
Don't remember the Evolution House at the Kew. It is a magnificent place, though. I took a bus. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 10:06 pm
Sounds wonderful. Isn't it Debacle that spent time in the lake district, I ask w/o memory...

Well, a smoky malt scotch tour could be a delight, not perhaps for the local traffic needing to avoid the tourers. I wonder if it is like wine tasting, take a sip and spit it out? Somehow I doubt it.

I agree with the idea of staying in one place for the mid part...you have enough on the plate getting there from there on either end of it.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 10:19 pm
CI - A bus at Kew or to Kew?

Ossobuco - When we toured the Talisker distillery on the Isle of Skye, we didn't actually tour the premises since we've been to distilleries before, ho-hum. Instead we went straight to the tasting room and had several free wee drams. We were NOT asked to spit. Smile Unfortunately, we got there first thing in the morning and scotch is extremely strong before noon. Trust me on this! Wink Haven't been so giddy in a long time. In fact, a bus tour might have been wise!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 10:44 pm
To, and a rather long walk to. Wink
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 10:49 pm
Were you staying in London? Why didn't you take the train? The Kew entrance is just a couple of blocks from the train station. Thanks, anyway, for the tip. I will be sure to avoid the bus to Kew!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 10:50 pm
Well, then, you've done that tippling in the morn. Wales? Myself, I'd be prone to check out certain places in Ireland, but that is my background, and I haven't been there.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 02:42 am
Hi Pifka ======= you might like to try the south west of england. It's got a lot of the things you say you like. An area I know well and it's easy to get to by train or by car.
History, coast, pretty villages, towns, wild moorland and loads of walking.

http://www.westcountrynow.com/
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 03:52 am
Piffka !! U r coming to UK !!! Maybe time for another A2K LOndon meet ? Don't forget to include seeing us in yr itenary !!!

Re Lake District - it is gonna be very nice in September. Am a frequent visitor to the lakes - and always find it very relaxing our there. The best place to stay there is Windermere - I recommend the Low Wood Hotel - a charming establishment with lovely views over Lake Windermere - and water sports facilities !!!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 06:22 am
Right, Lake District is really very nice.

But considering the short time, I really like olk's suggestion! Cornwall, Devon, Dorset, Hampshire - wonderful scenery in autumn!
And then some days in London.

(Mrs H. and I will be in Essex/London the first week of August.)
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 06:34 am
Will us poor minions get a Mrs and Mr H glimpse in London ?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 08:49 am
Ossobuco -- I hate to say it, but we didn't enjoy ourselves in Wales when we were there in the 78... doubt we'll go again. Ireland, however, is a distinct possibility.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 08:53 am
OAK -- That southwest part of England does seem to have it all, doesn't it? I was looking at renting a narrow boat that can go from Bath to the Thames... but it seemed like too much work. We stayed in Lymington for a month in 78 -- loved, LOVED the New Forest. Did a tour that included Bath, Cheddar, Tintagel, East & West Looe. Have considered going again, but I was disappointed in 2000 when I went back to the New Forest -- couldn't find a single big tree. Sad They said they'd all come down in a huge windstorm.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 08:55 am
Guatam -- So you like the Lakes District? Thanks for the tip, I'll go check the 'net for information.

When I have things set and know where we're staying in London, I'll be sure to tell you. Hopefully we can get together. I'd love to see you. You and any other a2kers who are around.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 08:58 am
Hiya Walter! (I always want to wave back at your avatar!)

So you like the Lakes District, too? And Devon, et al.? What's in Essex? The only thing I've seen on that side of London is Dover, when we returned from Bruges.

How come nobody thinks Scotland is a good idea? Where's McTag?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 10:05 am
In Essex? Well, Harlow (first place only, because I stay there), Audley End House, Saffron Walden, quite a few beautiful Houses and gardens, lots of seaside ... and the station to London, Cambridge ...

Scotland is a very good idea - but ever thought of the weather in September?
0 Replies