Cooking for one

jackie

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 09:54 am
sumac, this is an extremely interesting and very necessary topic, to those of us who cook SOLO. (most if not ALL the time).
But it can be fun as one person noted, you do not have to Please any one else.
I like CI's suggestion, because fruits and vegetables are essential.
And - you do not have to buy very many, Plus, some types keep well, for over a week or more.
One item with which you could save yourself spoilage , is the vacuum-food sealer and bags. And it would save space in your 'small 'frige-top freezer.
As far as menus, you will kind of have to go by what you really like.
And- I feel sure, that as you garden and grow your own veggies, you are well aware of your vitamin needs.
(To be on the safe side, I always take a daily multiple vitamin- natural and of good quality, no scrimping there.)

One thing you can be happy about- Smile - thin people who eat balanced but do not over eat, avoid MANY problems associated with obesity.
But - if you are a smoker, and use the calming effects of a cigarette instead of eating.... well. That is NOT good. You will destroy your vitamins and minerals anyway, mostly.
Bon apetit.... I wish well for you.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 10:05 am
I have found a grill pan to be an essential tool, especially in warm weather, when I only have myself to cook for. I just buy enough food for myself, and I have plenty of herbs and spices around always. So, a chicken breast, or a little steak, or some fish....a few veggies, unless I am catering, there is rarely much in our fridge. But that grill pan gets a lot of use, small, just goes on the stove, not as much fuss as a full-sized BBQ.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 12:10 pm
You've raised a sore subject, Cav. I need counselling. I have two broiling pans (which is how I do my chicken + veggies), one for lotsa people, and a smaller one for just me. They are both the old fashioned kind which, no matter how quickly you wash up, are hell to clean and never actually get very clean. There must be a better way. Teflon? What kind do y'all have? Do I need to make a trip to the expensive, chic kitchen shop in town??
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 12:25 pm
I'd like to put in a plug for my George Foreman grill. It is very easy to cook one or two chicken breasts or one burger or one little steak, etc. - fast to clean - and cooks on both sides at the same time, so is speedy as well. I also use it to make grilled sandwiches and it is non-stick, so needs no grease.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 12:26 pm
Okay, I need some explication here Tartarin: When you refer to broiling pans, do you mean the ones that go under the broiler with the slits in them? The grilling pan I was talking about is a square or round pan with raised ridges inside that you use on the stovetop. They come in a variety of makes, including non-stick. Mine is non-stick, but my preference is for plain or enamelled cast-iron.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 12:28 pm
Actually, the Foreman grill is pretty good, and there are others out there as well. My only trouble with them is the extra space they take up on the counter. My space is limited, and the grill pan is easily tucked away, and transported if I need to grill somewhere without a BBQ.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 12:29 pm
Yes, I realized you were talking about a stovetop grill. But that's good to hear -- that non-stick broiling pans are available. Now, anyone suggest any good ones?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 12:41 pm
My first choice would be the Le Creuset enamelled cast iron square grill pan, but it will cost ya. Mine is German, but I can't recall the make. A plain cast iron will cost the least, but it will need to be seasoned. I am not sure what the cost is on the electric counter-top jobbies. This link may help you get started:

http://www.epinions.com/hmgd-Cookware-All-Grills_or_Grill_Pans
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 12:55 pm
One thing I do quite often after basically cooking for just myself for 12 years...is I forget to eat. I like the idea of keeping more fruits and veggies around because if I forget and suddenly think...gosh why do I feel like this..oh yeah..you should eat you silly girl..I can grab something quick and healthy.
Since I work full time, I usually take Sundays to prepare a good old fashioned meal for probably four, and end up with left overs. I also try to make something I can change into a nice lunch...kinda on that sloppy joe idea I guess. So, I really only end up cooking a real meal a few times a week.
The good thing about it though...you enjoy cooking for others, which is nice, as long as you dont forget how! Wink
The other thing that helps is getting small containers for freezing. If you make soups sauces and stocks, you can freeze a cup or two in small containers and have them on hand for lunches or quick dinners.
Ive found that around here it is easier to find those meats and such for one which help with the space and freshness issues but, it really is still family sized portions for a great deal of things.
What preterbs me the most is full loaves of bread...wasteful really. But, you can make your own bread crumbs and croutons if you feel you are wasting too much. Ive resorted to buying specialty loaves of bread from the bakery, the smaller types that can be used in many ways and get eaten to a greater extent.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2003 05:06 am
sumac

Hello! Very Happy
This thread (I started quite a while back) might have some ideas for you ..

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3552
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 04:54 pm
Thanks msolga, I will go look.

One thing that I have discovered is that I love corn tortillas. They are a good substitute for bread, have a great taste, last forever (they aren't even in a refrigerated area of the store), and are good for so many different uses. But to make sandwiches, definitely. But they add extra taste and texture to just about anything.
0 Replies