Car electrical problem

Reply Thu 1 Feb, 2007 04:54 am
I have a standard trans car and I'm having a little problem and cannot determine exactly what it is.
I can start my car up no problem and after driving for no longer than 5mins my radio shuts off and then comes back on and my dash lights will go dim. Which tells me that the altenator or battery maybe bad. So I replaced the battery and for 2 days or so (very little driving) I had no problems, but again same thing when i start driving so i shift into Neutral and reved up the engine which brought my radio back on and my lights where they need to be. Which tells me that my altenator is doing it's job. I parked it shut it off and tried to start it again and nothing. No clicking nothing. My interior lights come on chimes when the door opens but nothing. Could this be cables or starter? I'm very confused I've never ran into this problem before.
thanks for any help or feedback
-brAd
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 720 • Replies: 3
No top replies

bradmurd

Reply Thu 1 Feb, 2007 08:37 am
update
This is really bafelling me. I took a look at the ground, cleaned it the best I could, it does seem a little loose but not that bad especially to do what it is doing. I let it sit for awhile went back out started up no problem put on all the accesories full blast lights didn't dim at all. The only thing now is that the seatbelt light is always on if i have my seatbelt on or off doesn't seem to matter, and that annoying chiming noise doesn't come on anymore when i leave the door open. 1 thing i seen was a wire coming off the Alternator runs into the block it looks like a sensor of some kind at it is all gumed up with grease dirt and oil, what is that for and may that be the culprit??
-brAd
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 2 Feb, 2007 04:31 am
It does sound like something electrical. Sorry, I can't be more helpful but I suspect you're on the right track. At least, I hope you are.
0 Replies

bradmurd

Reply Fri 2 Feb, 2007 06:54 am
Yea i hope so too.
I checked the fusible links near the battery and they're fine. I got it started this morning and disconnected the ground from the battery and noticed they went dim but the car ran fine. I read this is a common symptom of a voltage regulator going bad. I have no clue where it is located the car is a 1994 Eagle Summit 1.5L anyone seen it before? I don't think it is built in the alternator just from reading some things on google.
-brAd
0 Replies