Learning habits

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2007 12:13 am
aidan

It might be that I am lucky. But there is more to it, as I see it. In certain aspects of live I am utterly fearless. Fear is an inhibition, and very often, when a person fails to grasp something or fails to do something it is becuase this person had doubts about his or her own ability to accomplish the set goal.

Some study math, but at the first problem that needs more work to be solved they go, "it's too hard", or "I cannot do this".
Then they divide their capacity into two halves. One half is aimed at solving the problem, the other at countering the first. So they get stuck.

It takes a degree of self realization to see this, and many people who I try to explain this to just resist the notion. But those who have understood it have experienced tremendous advances in learning and acomplishing after becoming aware of it.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2007 12:28 am
I agree with you. I've found that to be true myself. But again, fearlessness or courage is not a characteristic that is easy to come by- for most people it takes years to develop, and even then I think it is a by-product of the knowledge or confidence that someone has about the gifts and skills they know or believe they are endowed with.

Very few people are fearless in areas they feel weak in.

And honestly Cyracuz- derision inspires fear and inhibition and "inspires doubt in the ability to accomplish a set goal" in learners of every age. People can either work to inspire other people with confidence or fearlessness and courage and belief in their abilities, or can work to do the opposite.

As I said, you need to understand that every person is working from a different set of circumstances, and there are ways to encourage and ways to discourage.

Coberst encourages me to think about things I hadn't thought about before, and I appreciate that.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2007 01:35 am
I don't think that people can escape being a slave to their instincts and emotions any more than they can escape being human. Some people punish themselves throughout their lives trying to free themselves from human emotions and instics -- eg, priests, monks, nuns, and other non-religious extremists...but I think it is clear that this only manifests itself in more disturbing, yet equally human, desires.
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2007 05:33 am
stuh505 wrote:
I don't think that people can escape being a slave to their instincts and emotions any more than they can escape being human. Some people punish themselves throughout their lives trying to free themselves from human emotions and instics -- eg, priests, monks, nuns, and other non-religious extremists...but I think it is clear that this only manifests itself in more disturbing, yet equally human, desires.

The sciences of psychology, sociology, and psychiatry have carefully mapped human nature. When we learn this we can comprehend the base upon which humans can go from. Also we can then identify an ideal to be strived for.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2007 07:28 am
I disagree with that coberst. The "sciences" of psychology, sociology and psychiatry have not mapped anything it a way that is conclusively proven to be true. Here, I'll play your game:

From wikipedia, on psychology:

"A common criticism of psychology concerns its fuzziness as a science. Philosopher Thomas Kuhn suggested in 1962 that psychology is in a pre-paradigmatic state, lacking the agreement on facts found in mature sciences such as chemistry and physics. Because some areas of psychology rely on "soft" research methods such as surveys and questionnaires, critics have claimed that psychology is not as scientific as psychologists assume. Methods such as introspection and psychoanalysis, used by some psychologists, are inherently subjective. "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychology

There is also a wide apread scepticism towars psychiatry, and since we havne't figured out wether depression, for instance, is a result of abnormal neuron activity or if the case is that abnormal neuron activity is a side-effect of depression, we cannot say wether we are treating a problem or just a side effect. The practice of psychiatry has even inspired an anti-movement known as antipsychiatry.

See this link also, on social sciences.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_science#Criticism
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2007 02:58 pm
aidan wrote:
So I don't find the statement of such a separation offensive- I find it to be factual and truthful.

Apologies, Aidan--maybe I wasn't expressing myself clearly. It's not Coberst's (or anyone else's) separation of himself from the rest of the "status quo" that I find offensive. Since I don't know anyone on this thread personally, I have no way of knowing whether such a separation is warranted or not. Rather, what I find offensive is the fiction that "society" represents one generic status quo to begin with. For example, Coberst wrote that "We have all spent 12 to 18 years in our school system, which is designed to produce graduates who can easily fit into the industrial work place and quickly become maximum producers and consumers." The use of the royal "we" serves to disguise the fact that the statement assumes certain minimum of material comfort and social standing. It's a ploy that comes up constantly in his threads. (I would even contend that it is done knowingly and deliberately, but I can't prove that.) The same could be said of his claim about "universal" ommissions in American education, or that colleges and universities no longer care about scholarship (!), or (my personal favorite) that "Today's generation makes many more decisions than previous generations but the decisions are more of a trivial nature", or any number of other claims. In an effort to bolster his own position (and maintain his "outside-the-status-quo" status), Coberst constantly lumps all of "society" into one giant and suitably evil category. That was why I brought up Hurricane Katrina, which demonstrated in painful terms that America might not be completely composed of the complacent, luxury-distracted consumers that Coberst frequently rails against.

This is why I don't think all "would be well" if only us participants would supply real-life examples to Coberst's models. What most of us are saying is that Coberst's models don't work if real-life examples are taken into account, because the models rely on the grossest caricatures of reality. All we're trying to do is get Coberst to paint his pictures of "society" with less broader strokes and a little more nuance, but he continues to be resistant to this idea.

(Coberst--I hate the feeling of talking about someone as if they weren't there, so feel free to pipe in.)
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Mon 5 Feb, 2007 02:04 am
Shapeless wrote:
Quote:
Rather, what I find offensive is the fiction that "society" represents one generic status quo to begin with.

I understand now.
Quote:
For example, Coberst wrote that "We have all spent 12 to 18 years in our school system, which is designed to produce graduates who can easily fit into the industrial work place and quickly become maximum producers and consumers."
The use of the royal "we" serves to disguise the fact that the statement assumes certain minimum of material comfort and social standing.

Yes, except in the US where public education is free and compulsory.

I have several friends who are professors- a couple who are my contemporaries (40's) and a couple who were actually my professors so who are older (60's-70's) and they do say that the level of preparedness of the student and willingness of the student to apply anything approaching scholarly effort has changed since either they were in school themselves or teaching students twenty or thirty years ago.
I realize this doesn't indicate that colleges and universities no longer care about scholarship- in fact quite the opposite in that these people who are teaching these students express frustration and almost a kind of professional despair about the situation. But they do speak of the fact that there has been a general lowering of standards, out of a kind of sad necessity.

Quote:
In an effort to bolster his own position (and maintain his "outside-the-status-quo" status), Coberst constantly lumps all of "society" into one giant and suitably evil category. That was why I brought up Hurricane Katrina, which demonstrated in painful terms that America might not be completely composed of the complacent, luxury-distracted consumers that Coberst frequently rails against.

Yes, I see what you're saying. But I'm wondering if the attitudes of complacence and the distractions of luxuries and consumerism are not so pervasive in popular American culture that it wouldn't be true that those who can't afford to indulge at this point would if they could afford to.
And I say this out of experience. My entire work life, I've worked with people from disadvantaged backgrounds in one setting or another, and I have to say that the majority of the people with whom I've worked (and they've always been young adults- I've never worked with elderly impoverished people) feel the allure of all that just as strongly, if not more so than those who have the money to indulge themselves. It's not a case of "wouldn't if they could"- it's more a case of "can't so they don't".
But I have to admit, I do have a negative view of the most visible aspects of American society, which I agree is in no way totally inclusive, and the status quo in their current states. Maybe that's why it's easy for me to buy into those generalizations or stereotypes- not right to do-but easy.

Quote:
This is why I don't think all "would be well" if only us participants would supply real-life examples to Coberst's models. What most of us are saying is that Coberst's models don't work if real-life examples are taken into account, because the models rely on the grossest caricatures of reality.

Again, I see what you're saying. And I feel guilty that because his "caricatures" often conform to what I'm experiencing in my priveleged middle class reality and I can easily apply them to my own experience, I haven't noticed or been bothered by the lack of nuance or inclusion of recognition of differences.
Quote:
All we're trying to do is get Coberst to paint his pictures of "society" with less broader strokes and a little more nuance, but he continues to be resistant to this idea.

Again, I don't know what Coberst's situation is, but I know that if I hadn't worked with people who came from different situations than I did, I wouldn't have known or been aware of the extreme differences that people of varying socioeconomic classes experience within the US. TV and newspaper coverage aside- because it's way too easy to turn that off and forget that that's the reality for certain people. I think it's easier to try to forget that reality because it's too uncomfortable to ponder for very long without feeling that you need to actively do something to try to change something.
But I understand what you're saying.
I guess my question is whether there is any next step required when we think about these issues. When does it become inherent upon us to turn some of these thoughts into action. And if we don't turn them into some kind of positive action, what do we do with all of these thoughts and ideas?

Quote:
(Coberst--I hate the feeling of talking about someone as if they weren't there, so feel free to pipe in.)

Me too- sorry about that.
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Mon 5 Feb, 2007 05:32 am
Shapless

My statements are inductive conjectures. I go from the particular to the general.

Only by creating a general conclusions can we take action. If we are too fearful of creating our own values and meanings then we are too fearful of using our freedom to create and therein lie our alienation with part of our nature.

I could be wrong but my experience convinces me that I am correct and when I read the books of an individual with the credentials of Becker, who agree completely with my experience, then I feel fortified that my judgments are correct.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 5 Feb, 2007 08:35 am
coberst wrote:
Joe

Until one learns how to become a self-learner they will continually have little means in which to guide them in recognizing drivel from solid thinking.

I have seen no evidence to suggest that you're one of those people who can tell the difference between drivel and solid thinking.
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Mon 5 Feb, 2007 10:49 am
Joe

Your judgment may be good or may be poor. Who can tell?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 6 Feb, 2007 09:03 am
coberst wrote:
Joe

Your judgment may be good or may be poor. Who can tell?

I can. And I am quite confident that you can't.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Tue 6 Feb, 2007 11:57 am
coberst wrote:
My statements are inductive conjectures. I go from the particular to the general.

That contradicts what you've stated elsewhere, but if you've turned over a new leaf, then I'm glad to hear it. It's the particulars that we've been clamoring for since day 1. Demonstrating that one is starting from particulars is best achieved when one begins by citing real-life examples, facts and stats, since that is where the particulars are to be found... just something you might want to keep in mind.

Coberst wrote:
Only by creating a general conclusions can we take action.

Action is what we're all interested in seeing, so it will be nice to see you live up to these words. Frequently you're exhorting everyone to recognize that "Understanding is the first step toward _______" (the blank changes variously depending on the thread), which may be true, but the only way to determine whether your understanding indeed works is to then move on to the second step. Resting comfortably on the first step, you conveniently relieve yourself of having to test your understanding and can live your whole life convinced that (for example) only philosophy departments bother to teach logic; riding on the coattails of Becker, you may very easily miss the many "particulars"--i.e. logic courses taught by other departments, which can be ascertained simply by looking at university course catalogs--that were supposedly the starting point of your inductive reasoning.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 6 Feb, 2007 06:06 pm
Coberst

Have you overlooked this statement I made previously?

Cyracuz wrote:
I disagree with that coberst. The "sciences" of psychology, sociology and psychiatry have not mapped anything it a way that is conclusively proven to be true.

This was my reply to your earlier statement that the "sciences" in question "have carefully mapped human nature". I'd like to hear what you have to say about it.
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Wed 7 Feb, 2007 03:32 am
Cyracuz

Becker has devoted 50 pages in his book to this matter. I have yet to prepare an essay but will do so shortly.

I have no independent knowledge about these particular sciences but have enough understanding about many matters that permits me to judge that Becker is a good source to rely upon.

Ernest Becker won the Pulitzer Prize for General Nonfiction for "The Denial of Death". A distinguished social theorist and a popular teacher of anthropology, sociology, and social psychology.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 7 Feb, 2007 09:42 am
Coberst
Rolling Eyes

If Becker says so, then it must be true, is that it?

An essay?
A conversation is not good enough?
It is a simple question; what do you have to say to the fact the categorization of psychology and psychiatry as sciences is disputable?

See wikipedia on psychology and psychiatry, for instance.

And if I want to know Becker's thoughts on this matter I'll read Becker. And it's not the source I mistrust. It is your understanding of it.
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Wed 7 Feb, 2007 12:20 pm
Cyracuz

Well said. My challenge to you is 'study Becker and then make your judgment'. I will await your considered judgment, before I consider your judgment, in this matter.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 7 Feb, 2007 12:43 pm
Cyracuz: be happy that Coberst is fixated on Becker: that means he/she isn't misquoting John Rawls any more.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 7 Feb, 2007 02:36 pm
Coberst

Those are not the rules of this game. I am not the one making false claims in this thread. I do not need to read Becker to know that a lot of the so called scientific works of psychology and psychiatry are not substantiated.

Now, will you keep evading the question?
What proof do you have that human nature has been mapped?

And please don't offer quotes from a guy dead for more that thirty years. Has it never occured to you that a lot of what he wrote just might be a bit outdated?
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Thu 8 Feb, 2007 07:54 am
Cyracuz wrote:
Coberst

Those are not the rules of this game. I am not the one making false claims in this thread. I do not need to read Becker to know that a lot of the so called scientific works of psychology and psychiatry are not substantiated.

And please don't offer quotes from a guy dead for more that thirty years. Has it never occured to you that a lot of what he wrote just might be a bit outdated?

I have no proof that human nature has been mapped.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 8 Feb, 2007 08:45 am
coberst wrote:
Cyracuz wrote:
Coberst

I have no proof that human nature has been mapped.

Kudos, Coberst.

That is the way these things should be handled. I hope Cyracuz compliments you also.
0 Replies