-s
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,028 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 07:53 am
great pictures - will you add yourself to the 'who are the painters and photographers..' link?

do you use film or digital cameras
?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 09:29 am
brakits, WELCOME to A2K. The first impression I got was the fact that most of your photos are taken at night. Other than that, I really enjoyed your photos. Always looking for good photo web sites. c.i.
0 Replies

brakits

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 11:38 pm
Vivien wrote:
great pictures - will you add yourself to the 'who are the painters and photographers..' link?

do you use film or digital cameras
?

I use a digital camera, it's actually jsut a consumer compact, Cannon s30. I am currently saving up for a digi SLR, I really want to be able to use a neutral density filter.

Smile
-s
0 Replies

Flatted 5th

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 11:24 am
Nice pics brakits, makes me home sick for the city. I like your use of the horizontal and vertical lines. The Stockton and Broadway tunnel shots and the shot of the statue in Union Square stand out for me.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 01:46 pm
brakits wrote:
[quote="I really want to be able to use a neutral density filter.

Smile
-s

why???? for what effect? - i have never used one - polarising and others but never neutral density. I'm interested. Smile
0 Replies

brakits

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2003 12:07 am
Vivien wrote:
brakits wrote:
[quote="I really want to be able to use a neutral density filter.

Smile
-s

why???? for what effect? - i have never used one - polarising and others but never neutral density. I'm interested. Smile

a neutral density filter would alow me to take pix like the ones i have taken, only during the day, so i could have a 10 second exposure without getting overexposed. just lowers the light level Smile

-s
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2003 08:52 am
thanks Very Happy
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2003 09:51 am
Just saw the work and ones first immediate impression is Ok let me see these. Then when you look they start to fall apart. I think the lighting in these areas is unique and wonderfull. The eye likes it and the mind wants to see it but thats as far as it goes. I would suggest you add some more mystery to the images.
Any way that you can. They are missing that final clue that makes it a complete story. I am sure this will evolve and regardsless of me. Time will always tell.Look at them 1 years , 5 years later.....Things change.

One aspect that is so important to this kind of work is making it have a reality beyond just what you see. I think you need to incorporate some more details in silouette or what have you at hand. I think if there is a photograph anywhere all the ingrediaents are there as well.
Lets say aside the road was a smashed up old shopping cart. Moving that into the photograph can add so much nuance that you've now gone beyond an image that doesn't really go anywhere. If these are passages make something pay us off for looking.
0 Replies

daniel4124

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2003 12:15 pm
neutral density filter
Yes, a neutral density filter works great for prolonging exposures - of course, no one has their lights on during the day time Laughing but i have used it on bright sunny days taking photos of water running in a stream for the "silky" water effect. I love the effect that this gives because its what photography gives that the human eye cannot see without photography. Great photos!!!
0 Replies

brakits

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2003 06:51 pm
Algis.Kemezys wrote:
Just saw the work and ones first immediate impression is Ok let me see these. Then when you look they start to fall apart. I think the lighting in these areas is unique and wonderfull. The eye likes it and the mind wants to see it but thats as far as it goes. I would suggest you add some more mystery to the images.
Any way that you can. They are missing that final clue that makes it a complete story. I am sure this will evolve and regardsless of me. Time will always tell.Look at them 1 years , 5 years later.....Things change.

One aspect that is so important to this kind of work is making it have a reality beyond just what you see. I think you need to incorporate some more details in silouette or what have you at hand. I think if there is a photograph anywhere all the ingrediaents are there as well.
Lets say aside the road was a smashed up old shopping cart. Moving that into the photograph can add so much nuance that you've now gone beyond an image that doesn't really go anywhere. If these are passages make something pay us off for looking.

I totally understand what you are saying, but I was not going for a grit/reality feel. Where I lived(where alot of the photos were taken) was an industrial area, with alot of homeless people, drug addicts etc. I walked through that neighborhood everyday, trying to see the beauty in it all, and thats exactally what I captured. When taking those pictures I had no desire to capture the "realness" of the moment, because I was allready living it, and that wasn't something I wanted to capture.

Thanks for your comments tho, I will seriously think about them further Smile

-s
0 Replies

firenskye

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2003 01:40 pm
Very nice!! :wink:
0 Replies