Atheists, smarter than religious people

ziek25

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2008 02:06 am
@Thomas,
Don’t know why I got put in this mix of "Trouble Maker" for leaving a post I felt at the time summed my feelings. If this is some kind strange site posing as looking for opinions for the search of knowledge and then just to bitch and moan when someone says something that you don't agree with. I will gladly leave; I was just a bit excited to interact with people other then Texans Sad
JLNobody

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2009 06:15 pm
@ziek25,
Don't give up yet. We are not all "Texans"; at least not all the time.
0 Replies

mrhunt

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 03:23 am
@fresco,
After recently watching religilous with bill mahr i would certainly agree that athiests are more intelligent.Its disturbingly Sad How Many people are so blinded by Such rediculas Nonsense....People of power such as Surgons and Senators too....Its scary.He makes an excelent point in the movie and i reccomend i to everyone who has an open mind.If your some close minded christian coo coo you'll probally be offended for some reason though.....
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 08:49 am
Well I am an agnostic…which means I am part of a group smarter and more honest than either atheists and/or “religious people”…so I don’t have a dog in this fight. But since I am back with A2K…and since this is a topic here…I thought I’d at least drop in and see how the two sides are handling this issue.

For some reason, (and please don’t take offense at this) when I saw the title of the thread, the thing that immediately came to mind was a fight between wart hogs and water buffalo about which is the prettier animal.

Missed you folks terribly. Great to be back among yez.
fresco

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 10:19 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank,

My main argument here is that "existence" itself is subject to analysis, and the perception of that is indicative of intelligence. "Believers" and "agnostics" do not, or will not, go down such a path.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 10:36 am
@fresco,
Fresco wrote:
Quote:
My main argument here is that "existence" itself is subject to analysis, and the perception of that is indicative of intelligence. "Believers" and "agnostics" do not, or will not, go down such a path.

Fresco…your “main argument” always seems to be a non-duality argument…with a rigidity that reminds me of theistic arguments.

I am as interested in “existence” as anyone else in this thread…and definitely as interested as you are.

My take on the issue is that I do not know what existence is…let alone what can definitely be included or excluded from the reality of it.

You, on the other hand, assert that you do know what can be included and excluded.

As far as you are concerned, the Reality can only be non-dualistic.

I love ya, friend. Truly. But your non-dualism is a belief system just as surely as Christianity is a belief system.

Not sure what you mean by “not go down that path”…but if you mean I am not willing to pretend I know stuff I do not know…

…I plead guilty…with an explanation.

I happen to think the truth is important in these kinds of discussions.
fresco

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 12:40 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Forget about what I think existence is about. You have just admitted that you don't know what it is, therefore it follows that you don't know what the statement "God exists" means !
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 01:41 pm
@fresco,
Really!

And why is that?????
fresco

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 02:00 pm
@Frank Apisa,
No help allowed on that one Frank ! Laughing
JLNobody

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 05:36 pm
@fresco,
I'm just plain glad to have Frank back. I do not want to go over the old debates with him if that is going to threaten our ability to argue other issues. Besides, I've said everything I want to say on the matter in previous threads.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 06:25 pm
Glad to be back, JL. Glad to be back everyone.

f.
snood

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 09:02 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank, tell you how glad I am that you're back...

I'm glad enough to keep my warthog ass out of this particular line of discussion.

Cool
fresco

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2009 01:56 am
@snood,
JLN,

Yes, its good to have Frank back. He tells us he has "mellowed" and I'm trying to GUESS ( Wink )what he means.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2009 02:23 am
@JLNobody,
JLN,
Sorry. I hit the wrong reply button above.

I wanted to add that I agree with you about the futility of going over "old ground".
Philosophy requires a certain level of discourse involving the questioning "common meaning". For example, it might involve looking at the etymology of the word "fact" from the Latin facere ("to do" or "to make").
Those who are unwilling to rise to such requirements cannot expect to communicate on these issues except at a superficial level.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2009 07:02 am
@snood,
LOL!

I know what you mean, Snood.

Glad to see that you are reading the thread, though. The "warthog" comment was funny.

I wanna get along...and I want to be reasonably courteous in my arguments...but I don't want to miss throwing a jab or elbow once in a while, providing I do it with a smile on my face...and not with the intention of backing someone up against a wall so that he or she has to respond with anger.

Hope I keep that level of conduct.

If I don't...if you see me crossing over...feel free to remind me of my intentions. It'll never hurt.

0 Replies

rydinearth

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 05:11 pm
@Cyracuz,
Quote:
Atheism and theism are really just two sides of the same coin. They both revolve around religion, one to embrace, the other to reject.

A-Unicornism and Unicornism are really just two sides of the same coin. They both revolve around Unicorns, one to embrace, the other to reject.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 05:13 pm
@rydinearth,
ryd, Good analogy; it was worth a big smile.
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2010 02:09 pm
@Cyracuz,
Would say atheist are lower on group think than theists.
Cyracuz

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 12:00 pm
@HexHammer,
o really?

Do you believe an atheist is any less inclined to believe in fairytales just because he dismisses the concept of deities?
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 01:15 pm
@Cyracuz,
We are less inclined to believe in Santa Clause and the Tooth Fairy, and things we can't see with our own eyes.